Author Topic: Mix feeding (bf and formula) and reflux  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Lilo's mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: November 04, 2013, 21:41:24 pm »
Hello,
My lo is 5 mo and he has always been breastfed and had 30 to 60 ml of formula as a supplement. Two weeks ago I had to spend a lot of time away because My dad was sick so his nanny offered more of the formula and he took it (I dont have much milk so it is very difficult for me to have my milk stocked).
Now he is switching... Drinking more of the formula and reducing the breast (during the day; his night feedings and last feeding before bt are still maunly bf). I am not making a big deal out of it bcause I will go back to work in one month soI wont be available for day feedings anyway..,
 And what is happening is that he is burping much more (right after he finishes feeding and many times much time after ). Also, he has reflux about 1 h after the feeding: a lot of milk with a white color comes back.is there any logic in associating more formula with reflux?
Thanks!
Best, Mariana

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Mix feeding (bf and formula) and reflux
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 22:24:49 pm »
Hi Mariana,
Breast milk is digested a lot easier and faster than formula. This Could be one reason why you are having more spit up and refluxing. :-\

Any food intolerance symptoms?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 21:03:17 pm »
LOs are also generally slower to get the "full" signal when feeding from a bottle than directly from the breast as there is a more constant flow of milk than there only being milk when they have to suck, so are more likely to overfeed, which will then exacerbate reflux. :-\
*** Amanda ***

Offline Lilo's mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 10:45:13 am »
Thanks ladies... i guess it makes sense... His ped recommended I give him anti reflux formula, which is way thicker than regular formula. I guess the different density helps not spitting up...
Thanks!