Author Topic: Has anyone successfully dropped the dreamfeed cold turkey?  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Regina Phalange

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Has anyone successfully dropped the dreamfeed cold turkey?
« on: November 04, 2013, 22:19:12 pm »
This kind of crosses over between Eat and Sleep, but since my main question is about the feed, I'm posting here. Hope that's alright!
And as a second edit to this post, we EBF and he gets expressed milk at the dream feed.
So here's some back story: My six month old began sleeping through the night fairly early - around 2.5 months. His usual night was 11-12 hours with a dream feed at 10:30. Occasionally we would go through a phase where his sleep would be disrupted, but most of the time he was fairly easy to resettle, and eventually, things would go back to normal after a week or two...or three :) But, for the last few weeks, he's been waking early (anywhere between 5 and 6, when he used to wake at 7 or 7:30), and it's nearly impossible to get him back to sleep. It can take an hour or two of drifting off and waking again before he'll stay asleep. And even then, I might only get an extra 45 minutes out of him. I've tried waiting longer to see if he'll settle, going in sooner to catch him before he wakes too much, nursing him, leaving the room as soon as he settles, staying until he seems good and asleep...nothing seems to make the slightest difference. And the problem is, if I allow him to start his day that early, he's horribly cranky (as am I!), and it's impossible to make it to bed time.
I know that there are a LOT of things that could be contributing to this. For one thing, he used to be a horrible napper, and now a full hour and a half is the norm. On top of that, he's working on sitting and crawling, might be teething, and I believe he's ready to eliminate the cat nap, so we're trying to slowly extend awake time from 2 1/2 hrs to 3. But I'm also beginning to question whether or not he's ready to drop the dream feed. He began to wake up for the dream feed some nights, or at least begin to stir as soon as I walked in the room. But very suddenly, he stopped doing that about a week and a half ago. Now he's still out cold when I go in, and only takes 3 ounces when he used to take at least 5. Logically, I can't think of a reason why the dream feed would be disrupting his sleep since he's not waking until hours after it's done, but my gut keeps telling me to consider it. I was planning on phasing it out once we finished eliminating the cat nap (one change at a time), but now I'm wondering if it might be beneficial to try it now. Especially since we're having issues anyway, it's not like there's any risk in disturbing what would be peaceful nights.
Anyway, now that I've babbled long enough, I'm just wondering if there's any out there who suspected the dream feed was disrupting their baby's sleep and dropped it cold turkey. And if so, how did it go??
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 22:24:32 pm by Regina Phalange »

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Has anyone successfully dropped the dreamfeed cold turkey?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 02:50:55 am »
My dd2 definitely did not do well with the dreamfeed, though it worked beautifully for dd1 and ds.  When we dropped it, I had to resettle more for a few nights and then the early part of the night went great.  So, if he is ready to drop it, you might expect to do a bit more resettling for a few nights and then be done with it.  Looking at your post though, I'd say that you definitely have some other possibilities for the cause of your NWings though so I don't think that's the only possibility.  ;)

Offline beckstrous

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 10:49:27 am »
Hi there,

We dropped the dreamfeed at 7 months because it had started to wake our daughter a little, and it was also beginning to take up to an hour to do it. We were going on holiday and (selfishly?) I also wanted to be able to have more than a single glass of wine of an evening!

So we just stopped it. For maybe 2 or 3 nights she stirred a little and had to be resettled about the time the dreamfeed would've been, but was fine after that and I am really glad we stopped it when we did!

I didn't really phase it out because I found that trying to limit the time at the breast made it harder so I just didn't do it one night.

Good luck!

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 13:28:45 pm »
My DD always woke for the DF (so really it was just a F) but at 7 months she was on 3 good meals a day and was a good weight so the HV told me I could drop a feed.  From about 6 months she had actually stopped waking for the DF and was so sleepy during it, it was getting hard to get her to take anything.

So that night I decided not to offer the DF and she STTN!

So yes, we dropped it cold turkey although she had been reducing the amount she took from it herself naturally since we introduced solids.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Regina Phalange

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 17:56:28 pm »
Thanks for the responses everyone! We went through a rough patch with some hardcore teething, and then being sick, so I didn't want to start working on eliminating a feed. But in the meantime, the catnap is officially gone, and, although there were some night wakings due to pain and discomfort from teething and illness, the early mornings aren't an issue anymore. We seem to be coming out the other end of the teething and cold, so I think I'll start working on that dream feed very soon. Soooo looking forward to having it gone!