Author Topic: 9 month old gags when trying textured/thicker foods  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Nikkisb11

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
9 month old gags when trying textured/thicker foods
« on: November 05, 2013, 14:27:43 pm »
Hello!  My 9 month old son has been eating stg 2 baby food for awhile now and loves it.  I have been trying stg 3 baby food, puffs, or tiny pieces of bread but every time I give it to him he constantly gags until he throws up.  I have even tried thicker pureed foods with more texture but without lumps and he gags.  However, he constantly acts like he wants to eat the food...he is always grabbing it and smacking his mouth when we are eating.  Ideas?

Offline BeeAnn

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: 9 month old gags when trying textured/thicker foods
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 14:53:17 pm »
Hi

No special ideas other than to say that I think it is quite normal for them to gag when they start eating food with lumps in.  When we started my DD on finger foods she used to gag and throw up maybe every third time she ate for about 3 weeks or so.  Very messy but she now manages to eat ok.  I believe that it is just them learning that they have to chew the food to make it smaller, and then by gagging it moves the food to the front of the mouth away from the throat if it is too big.

Offline <Catherine>

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
Re: 9 month old gags when trying textured/thicker foods
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 21:18:18 pm »
Hi :)

As pp says, gagging is quite normal - some information here for you Information on choking and gagging
Catherine x