Author Topic: 7 month old 1-2 feeds overnight still dream feeding help!  (Read 1121 times)

Offline green100

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
7 month old 1-2 feeds overnight still dream feeding help!
« on: November 07, 2013, 20:35:14 pm »
I want to eliminate all the night feedings including dream feed. Any recommendations on whether i do it all at once or eliminate overnight feeds then dream feed or vice versa. Obviously want to ensure DD  is getting enough to eat. 

Thanks!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 7 month old 1-2 feeds overnight still dream feeding help!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 08:26:45 am »
Sorry your post got missed.

I wouldn't go from 2-3 feeds overnight to nothing all at once. She may well still need at least one feed at this age, many bf babies do up to about a year.

Can you tell me what time she currently feeds, day and night? Is she an independent sleeper or do you think the NFs might be more a prop to get her back to sleep? Is she eating much solid food? When and how much?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline green100

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 12:46:48 pm »
So an average day would be something like this:
6 - 7am bf
8:30 solids
10:30 bf
12 solids
3 bf
6:30 bf
Between 10 - 11 DF
Between 1 - 3am bf
5 bf

On occasion she'll go from df to 4am. Then wake for day at 6:30. Recently with the time change and an illness she has not been doing that.

Day time and at bedtime she is an independent sleeper. Overnight she was sleeping through the night 50% of the time at 4 months then had 2 growth spurts fairly close together and we haven't been able to recover from that. I do believe that for sure the 5am feed is a prop to get her back to sleep, that feeding is pretty habitual. The other feed has been so variable, i'm not sure. I'm in such a sleepy stupor that i haven't tried to really settle her. Overnight feeding was decreasing well on it's own, as i mentioned, but is not now so i'd like to work on it assuming i'm not starving her.

Solid food introduction has not gone very well. Like our older daughter she balks at spoon feeding, unlike our older daughter she has no desire to feed herself. We tried baby led weaning, but she does not put the food in her mouth, everything else goes in the mouth except food. She will eat small soft pieces of food off our fingers. I would say she is not eating very much solid food.  Introduction of solids has been slowed by the spoon feeding refusal, and we've also gone slowly because of intolerances to my eating certain foods. She had some vomitting recently either a stomache bug or food reaction so we put solid food eating on hold for a couple of days to recover.

I've started to consistently feed on both sides lately during the day, to try and fill her up more in the day time, we get some green poops, i guess from too much foremilk, but much less green poop than when she was younger. Previously i was only feeding her on one side, otherwise all poops were green. I was hoping to then see an improvement overnight, but not so much, which then leads me to think night feeds are just a prop.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 20:03:40 pm »
If you think you have an oversupply maybe try burping her and changing her nappy and then putting her back on the original side after she seems to have finished her feed initially. Sometimes a short break can give them time to be ready to take a bit more.

Is she over the tummy bug now? I would probably wait until she is back on the solid foods and seems recovered before attempting any weaning at night. Maybe post on the Feeding Solid Food for help with the solid food issue. If she is t taking anything right now she will tend to need more breast milk.

One thing you could try at night is to amalgamate the 1-3am feed with with DF by bringing that 1am feed forwards by half an hour every few days. There is more info on it in this link near the bottom. A Special Sleep Interview with Tracy Hogg
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011