Author Topic: 6 week old awake from 8 pm to 3 am  (Read 1142 times)

Offline joyful mama

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: November 09, 2013, 07:30:47 am »
Help! We are desperate to get to the bottom of this!! 

For the rest of the day he generally on a 2 1/2 hour EASY, and is a very contented little man.  I am really starting to dread evenings, even though DH and I take shifts at night.  It's so hard to see DS getting more and more upset...it's like he can't get to sleep, or when he does it only lasts for a few minutes. 

What can I do to help him?  I posted here because I have a niggle it might be something to do with supply, but who knows?  I discovered babywhispering about 4 months in with DD, was determined to do it right this time around.  But I feel like we're just surviving at this point, and that just barely.

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 76
Re: 6 week old awake from 8 pm to 3 am
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 09:46:33 am »
That sounds tough. We've had a few odd evenings like that, too. And it's usually because she's just so tired she can't get off to sleep, rather than a hunger or supply problem.
I have to say, when it gets to that point with Medi, I would do anything needed to get her to sleep.  How does he sleep in the day?

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 10:24:33 am »
That sounds really hard. Was going to ask how much he sleeps in the day, too. Some babies with LSN need a bit more action in the day to knacker them, but if you have a OS baby with HSN, that results in the opposite  ::)

Have YOU tried a long nap in the day? That can really help with the quality and the amount of the milk at night-time.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 19:07:34 pm »
You're in growth spurt territory, so I'm just wondering how you're handling the wakefulness?
*** Amanda ***

Offline joyful mama

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 18:35:13 pm »
I've been feeding on demand.  :)  I had been expressing an extra ~100ml in the morning, so DH had something to give during his night shift.  But I started having too much milk, forceful letdown, tons of gas in DS.  Stopped expressing, fed DS to sleep several times, kept him in bed with me (fed laying down) when I was too tired to sit up.  His awake pattern seems to be shifting to the day, and not as many hours in a go. So that's good news.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 20:42:01 pm »
Keep going, sounds like things are settling down :)
*** Amanda ***