Author Topic: Breastfeeding and pacifier  (Read 1148 times)

Offline babynap24

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 10, 2013, 10:17:29 am »
Hello I am breastfeeding and my 2 week old son still wants to suck after feeding when I put him in the crib. I feed him, burp him and he falls asleep. I put him in his crib and he cries. When I pick him up, he is rooting. My pediatrician said it's okay for him to have a pacifier, but how do I use it so it doesn't turn into a sleep prob.  He is 2 weeks old.  Any schedule for 2 weeks old.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Breastfeeding and pacifier
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 13:19:20 pm »
Have a look at this FAQ on how to start an EASY routine.  It contains a link to sample routines.Starting EASY - all you need to know and more!

Do be aware though that at this age most LOs are only awake long enough for a feed,  a cuddle and a nappy change.  And sleep is often unpredictable, especially when they want to cluster feed in the evening.

At this age I really wouldn't worry about the soother becoming a prop too much.  You can always wean it when it happens.  Soothers are actually recommended to reduce the risk if SIDS for the first 6 months if it makes you feel any better :)
I would just offer the soother when you put her down to sleep and then shh part if you need to.  If she sucks on it and then spits it out don't replace it unless she cries for it.  That should help lessen the chance of it becoming a prop.

I never offered DS1 a soother but DS2 was self selling in the Moses basket with it from 3wo and just stopped wanting it at 7mo.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011