Author Topic: 10mths EW & NW  (Read 2098 times)

Offline home alone

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
10mths EW & NW
« on: November 12, 2013, 01:54:49 am »
I am unsure if I am doing anything right these days.
He's not napping well and multiple NW then wakes around 5-5;30.

Here's my day for the past week (before this he woke around 6:30 with 1 feed around 10pm)
5-5:30 wake bottle (6oz at the most)
7:00 breakfast
9or 9:30(4hr A) sleep for 45min or 1hr

11:30 6oz bottle
12:30 lunch
1:30 or 2:00(4hr A) 45min nap (wake up crying)

4:30 dinner
6:15 bottle
6:30 bed
wakes 8:30 9:30or 10:30 (bottle 8oz)
wakes 2am or 3am or both
5:30 wakes or earlier ( I shush or pat the mattress for him to sleep)

He collapses on the mattress but wakes again and again crying.
FYI I stay in his room until he falls asleep but he falls asleep alone with little of crying.

He never took DF but woke around 10pm and took the biggest bottle of the day.
Thanks for reading!
Monica
monica
http://lb1f.lilypie.com/15Anm5.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="Lilypie First Birthday tickers" />[/url]

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: 10mths EW & NW
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 02:55:26 am »
Hi there and sorry to hear about the night wakings :(

Do you think he might be teething or is he working on something new (developmental)?

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline home alone

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 03:38:29 am »
Thanks for your reply.
He's teething.
I am just frustrated that he never really slept all that well during night time.
Now that his naps are getting wonky too so I am tired. :'(
I also have not been successful at putting him back to sleep from NW.
I don't want to let the crying last too long since it might wake the older ones.

Do you think the A time looks ok?
What about my feeding schedule?
He doesn't seem to take too much bottle so I reduced to 3bottles thinking that might encourage him to drink more per feed but it didn't.
It's just that my 2 older girls stopped night feed around 9-10mths. ???

He's also standing with no holding.

Thanks for listening....

monica
http://lb1f.lilypie.com/15Anm5.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="Lilypie First Birthday tickers" />[/url]

Offline Layla

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 10:32:13 am »
Would you say he is an independent sleeper? If he's used to being resettled at night, it would be best to sleep train him rather than helping him resettle all the time so that he learns to resettle himself.. and you would use the pu/pd method to do that.

Do they all share a room? I understand the fear of older children waking up and it might be a rough couple of weeks but things might not get better on their own :-\

If he's teething, you could try some meds before you put him down to help him with the pain.

With regards to A time, the av is anywhere from 3-4 hrs... he's at an age where his sleep will go a little wonky as he's heading towards 1 nap. I've attached a few links for you to look through. If he's waking up crying from his pm nap, it could be an indication of not enough rest... try offering the nap a little earlier (maybe 3.5hrs A from morning nap) to see if that helps and try and resettle if it looks like he needs more sleep.
From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)
10/ 11mo sleep gone wonky? Read this first! (2-1 switch)

If he's only had 2 short naps, I would be tempted to put him down for the night a little earlier too to let him catch up on some sleep.

With regards to feeding, I can't remember exactly how much milk my girls used to have but there is a bottle feeding/feeding solid forum where you could have a look through to get an idea if he's taking enough. I do remember though doing snacks between meals... your dinner is around 4.30pm and I wonder if you could maybe do a light snack around 5.30pm (like yoghurt or something like that) and then a bottle around 6ish before bedtime...

Offline home alone

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 19:34:46 pm »
Hello again

I tried to do PU PD if shushing doesn't work until I read on one of 11mth old NW problem.  Someone recommended patting the mattress rather than physical contact.
Should I wait until he's 11mths to do that ?  Is PU PD more effective at this age?
I have been 50% successful with PUPD.

He falls asleep by himself after WD but I stay in the room slightly out of the way.
Sometimes I sneak out right before he's about to fall asleep.
Is this considered independent sleeping?

No he doesn't share the room with his sisters but it's next to each other.  Past few nights I have let him cry during resettling for 20-30min and it didn't wake up the girls ;)

He had a very short nap 40min this morning so I put him down at 3:15 A time and he's sleeping longer than 1hr so maybe it might work. ( I read your post after I put him down)

monica

Offline Layla

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 02:58:17 am »
If patting the mattress is working and as long as he's falling asleep on his own, that's ok in my opinion. I would stick to the shorter A time (in the afternoon) for now to see if you can get a longer nap out of him. Also, this site doesn't condone CIO - if he was mantra crying, that is ok but it escalates to "I need you" cry, it would be best to go back and try and settle him. Pu/pd is recommended from 4months but personally I too found it easier to try and settle in the cot and only PU if mine would get very upset until she was calm and PD again.

Let me know how you go tonight. Hopefully the longer afternoon nap would have given him a chance to catch up on some sleep and he'll sleep better at night.

Offline home alone

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 21:14:31 pm »
Oh no I do not do CIO.  I meant he cried when I tried resettling him.
I gave him 3:15A time after morning nap and he had 1hr 20min nap so I tried 3:30A and he had only 45min nap.
So I will give him 3:15 for now. 
When he had 45min morning nap and 1:20min nap he had a great night.  Very short burst of crying and falling back asleep.
Next day when he had 1:10min morning nap and 45min afternoon nap he had a horrible night and waking up at 4:50am.
I tried PUPD for 40min then stopped bc both girls woke up.
I will try 45min morning nap and3:15A
monica

Offline Layla

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 21:25:26 pm »
Sounds like a plan!!! I too find a longer afternoon nap is much more restorative than longer morning/shorter afternoon nap but there are lots of people who have had success the other way around too.

At this age though 2 long nap probably won't happen so its a matter of finding which option works best for your LO.

Let me know how you go over the next couple of days :)

Offline home alone

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 03:29:39 am »
His EW has getting a little better (waking up btnw 6-6:30).
There's been many NWs but not every night.
Wake at 6-6:30 6oz bottle
7:30 breakfast
9:45 sleep for 1hr until 10:45
11 snack
11:45 lunch
1:00 6oz bottle
2-3 sleep (sleeps for 1hr or 1:15hr)
3:30 snack
5:00 dinner
6:15 8pz  bottle

9:30 or 10 6oz bottle (reduced from 8 oz)
wakes 2-3 times at a random time during the night.

I am not sure if it's teething anymore but some sort discomfort.

I wondered if I should drop his night time bottle.
I never gave him DF so I wonder how to do this.
Do I gradually reduce the oz?

monica

Offline Layla

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 02:49:07 am »
If you've never given him a DF before, you probably wouldn't introduce it now. Try reducing the amount he's having at night. I've also had success weaning a night feed with dd2 by watering down so you could try doing that.

How are you going with the 2nd nap? Perhaps you could keep the morning nap to 45mins and try offering afternoon nap around 3-3.15hrs later and hopefully he will sleep a little longer than an hour :-\

Offline home alone

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 14:51:01 pm »
Hi again  EW is back.
afternoon naps are so random.   I have been giving him 3:15 A time.  When he falls asleep right away he wakes up 1 hour later.  If he struggles little bit he seems to sleep 1:15 to 1:30hr.
I have slowly reduce the NF to 6oz now and he's been waking up around 5:15am.  He wants more than 6oz during NF.
I think EW might be hunger related.  I try to calm him and feed him at 6am anyway.
I am trying to feed well during each meal and bottles and he does eat well.
I have also try to give him dinner around 5pm then give him a bottle around 6 or 6:30 bottle.

Hope it's growth spurt that will pass.
Monica

monica

Offline Layla

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 04:03:21 am »
Sorry to hear you're still dealing with EW's

Could you please post what your last couple of days/nights looked like? Does he still wake at night?

Offline home alone

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 15:06:18 pm »
5:30 wake
6:00 7oz
8: breakfast
9:45--10:30 nap

11:20 lunch
1pm 8oz bottle

1:45 -3 or 3:15 nap
5:00 dinner
He gets very fussy around this time so I give him his bottle around 5:50 then 6:15 or 6:30 depends on when he wakes from his nap.

he sometimes wakes around 8:45pm then puts himself back to sleep or shush by me
9:30 (rarely 10:15) 6oz bottle
cries around 12:30 then wakes either 4:50 or 5:30am.

He eats Os or crackers btwn meals as snack.

Thanks!
Monica
monica

Offline Layla

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 23:32:27 pm »
If he's awake at around 5 and he's then awake until 9:45am, that's quiet a long stretch. Could you try a morning nap around 9am for a few days and let him sleep say an hour and then do afternoon nap around 1.30 (so 3.5hrs A time) until 3/3.15 and do bedtime around 6.30pm? Have you tried giving him some pain relief before bedtime in case he's waking up from pain?

Offline home alone

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 13:20:58 pm »
Ok great I will try that.
He's been waking only once around 10or 11 then up at 6am for couple of days then last night he's waking about every 2 hrs.  This has been the patter for couple of months now.  Multiple nw for 2-3 days then one good night then 2 days of good night then turn into 2-3 days of multiple NW. 

When he wakes around 9:30 I give him the bottle since he always finishes it.  This seem to lead to multiple NW vs when he wakes after 10pm for the bottle then almost no NW. 

I have been giving him Tylenol every other night during NF about 3 nights a week then stopped since I started to doubt myself whether multiple wakings are due to teething.

Argh... Thank you so much for hearing me out.
He's almost one so I think maybe things will get better soon?
monica