Author Topic: 4mth old waking after 45 min at bedtime  (Read 967 times)

Offline maraya

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 17, 2013, 10:15:43 am »
Hi.. I realise my little one is going through the big 3.5-4mth old big growth spurt/milestone.. and wonder if this is regularly accompanied by waking after 45 min at night. He does it every night, sometimes twice (ie. after 45 min and another 45 min cycle) and until a few days ago, he only needed a little head pat and shush and would drift off into the next cycle, but now he will not resettle unless I pick him up and put him to sleep in my arms. He normally goes to sleep on his own and sucks his bottom lip to soothe himself to sleep once I put him down.

Most nights he falls asleep on the breast after a bath and massage, but i gently rouse him before I put him into bed.

Anyone else experience this? Is OT?

He is on a 3hr EASY (this last two days alot more though, every 2-2.5hrs) naps 1.5hrs in the morning (most mornings but not all) and sometimes the equivalent at midday nap but mostly one long nap in the morning and 3 x 45min naps the rest of the day.

Any ideas welcomed.

M x

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: 4mth old waking after 45 min at bedtime
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 11:14:42 am »
Hi there,

I would be looking at transitioning him to the 4hr EASY. At 4 months, we were doing either 1 x1.5 hr morning nap followed by 2 catnaps or 2-long naps plus a catnap. If you start to move towards 4hr EASY, you'll find there won't be time for the 4th nap and bedtime will be a little earlier to compensate.

Time to Transition - 3hr, 3.5hr or 4hr EASY

let me know how you go :)

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline maraya

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 21:47:11 pm »
I think you're right... Did your little one go through the 4mth sleep regression? I'm wondering if that might be the culprit?

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 22:20:07 pm »
Yeah she did but for us it was more the naps that went a bit wonky than night sleep. It could be that in your case but i would still work on transitioning him as it could also be routine related. What does his EAS look like now?

20/06/2012 - my angel baby