Author Topic: EASAE...too tired for next feed, when do I put down for nap?  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Mamamurray

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
EASAE...too tired for next feed, when do I put down for nap?
« on: November 17, 2013, 13:30:59 pm »
My 2 month old starts to yawn one hour after wake time. I put her down at the first yawn and she falls asleep instantly :) however, she's up an hour later and it's still an hour from her feed time and she's not hungry yet. When her feed time finally comes, she's tired again! So I feed her and put her to bed, this time quite grumpy.

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: EASAE...too tired for next feed, when do I put down for nap?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 13:46:52 pm »
Hi there,

At this age your DS might be able tocope with a little longer awake before naps, have you seen this?

Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

When they are really small it is important to follow tired signs, and it still is now, but he may start to yawn for reasons other than tiredness, e.g. He might want a change of scene. Could you pick him up and walk him around the house or look out of a window with him for a few minutes lengthening his A time by a few minutes (say 5) and then try putting him down. The slightly shortening nap is a signhe may not be quite tired enough when he goes down. Then he's not getting such restorative sleep and is more tired for the next awake time.
~ Naomi ~

Offline Mamamurray

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 13:57:09 pm »
That's what I figured but I didn't want to push her and miss the sleep window. The book said to catch her at the first yawn but that makes sense that now that she's older, she can be pushed a little bit. So if she does wake early from a nap, do I feed her or do I wait until the three hour mark?

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 15:30:57 pm »
I'm so sorry - I spent the whole time writing as if your little girl was a bit. Sorry :(

Going out just now but will be back later xxx
~ Naomi ~

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 22:08:57 pm »
If she wakes early from the nap I'd probably still feed at three hours, but try to keep E away from s, even if you only manage by a nappy change. And remember if you get a short nap, you may need to shorten the next A time a little to compensate.
~ Naomi ~

Offline Mamamurray

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 06:16:07 am »
Thanks for the info. I'm just a little discouraged right now because when we are
Home she usually goes for all naps and eats no problem. However, it's when I pack her up to go somewhere either visiting or grocery shopping...she will fall asleep in the car but wake up instantly when we get there and cry like she's hungry. Then people tell me she's hungry feed her when I know it's just still tired but everyone wants to hold her. It makes me feel like a bad mom. I don't know how to visit and do things but keep her naps in.

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 13:09:14 pm »
Hugs, you are not a bad mom. You need to be able to get out and about to do things and see people so that you are not stuck at home, and that does not make you a bad mom, it makes you a normal mom!

Will she sleep in a sling? I often found DD would be more comfortable out and about if I carried her, rather than in a car seat/buggy.

She's still so small so try not to worry too much about the naps and things. Perhaps focus on making sure she gets one good nap a day a home and then while you're out let her catnap a bit. She may need to sleep more often then as the sleep will be less restorative, but if you can then let her catch up a bit later on or the next day it may not impact too much on her overall sleep.

What do you think?
~ Naomi ~

Offline Mamamurray

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 17:52:43 pm »
Sounds good. But do I still feed after every sleep or every three hours?

Offline Mamamurray

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 20:00:44 pm »
Sorry. Just noticed you answered that question already. So I will try to wait until the three hour mark! Thanks for your advice!

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 21:34:27 pm »
:)

Interestingly though, you rephrasing the question has made me rethink my answer a little. I still think in general terms you should wait for the three hour mark, but remember that BW is not really about clock-watching, but more about keeping the order the same each time so your LO, and you, know what's coming next. That way, if she seems unsettled during sleep time and she communicates this with you when she wakes, it may be that she is hungry a little early - maybe during a growth spurt or similar. I hope that makes sense. x

Keep me posted.
~ Naomi ~