Author Topic: When to cut out 2am night feed  (Read 3304 times)

Offline lhurley168

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
When to cut out 2am night feed
« on: November 18, 2013, 03:25:51 am »
When is an appropriate time to cut out a 2am feeding? My LO is 7 weeks and is consistant at waking up for night feeds every 3 hours. Will he quit on his own when he's ready or do I need to work at it with him? Our routine is to a T with EASY. Naps and bedtime go fairly well with putting him down. He'll wake up occasionally due to gas and sometimes takes longer to get back to sleep because of discomfort. I'm just wondering at what age do night feeds cut out.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: When to cut out 2am night feed
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 04:30:24 am »
It really depends on the baby...mine all dropped them at very different times. I only ever tried to cut a feed with DD2 but she had other ideas as she clearly needed the feeds (she latched on to my ear that night in desperation!) and did not drop hers until 5.5/6 months and then they all went at once.  At 7 weeks I would let it be for now.
Heidi

Offline lhurley168

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 08:21:13 am »
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I figured it's all up to baby. Did you do both a 2a and a 5a? That's what we currently do and then we start the day at 7a. I also didn't know if weight would play a part. DS was 9.1lbs when he was born and now is over 13lbs.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 13:11:22 pm »
Yes, 2am, 5am & a dreamfeed.  Though I am sure weight is sometimes a factor I dont think it necessarily means anything...DD3 was around 9lbs when she started sttn and her and DD2 (the one who didnt sttn till 5/6 months) were only an oz different at birth and gained the same way.
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 21:27:42 pm »
I definitely wouldn't actively wean feeds at this age. You will have growth spurts at 3 and 4mo that may mean her need to feed increases again after all the effort of cutting it out.
Mine both dropped down to one feed by themselves and then I weaned that last one. They were much older though.
You will see from this FAQ that most BF babies have a night feed past 6mo. Night Feeds and the Breast Fed Baby
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 22:21:17 pm »
Sometimes when they're bigger they actually need more milk during the night, so size isn't a definite indicator of sleeping longer between night feeds.

Sounds like he's doing great for 7 weeks, though :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline lhurley168

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 03:32:21 am »
Thank you everyone for the replies. That really makes me feel we're on the right track. However during last night and today's feeds I've noticed a pattern. About 40 minutes to an hour after feeding he spits up quite a bit. It's been enough to soak his outfit and need a change of clothes. It's been a hummed today Bc it's been just as he's settling to sleep. During the early morning after the 2a and 5a feed he spit up in his sleep enough to get upset. We have his mattress at a 45 angle due to reflux issues we noticed a few weeks ago. He is on a script for reflux and that does not seem to be related to the delayed spit ups in large quantities.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 08:14:54 am »
What makes you think the spitting up is unrelated to the reflux? That is the classic symptom if reflux. I would go back to your dr and see what they think.

Offline lhurley168

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 08:42:06 am »
The consistantcy of his original symptom of spitting up is different to this spit up is why I was thinking it was unrelated. Before it was thicker and he'd scream when he did. Today it was watery like straight breasted milk and aside from sleeping he'd almost seem happier when he spit up. Today/last night is the first time he's been like that so I'm unsure of what's going on.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 14:16:52 pm »
What reflux meds is he on? I'm wondering if it is one that stops acid production so it doesn't hurt when he is sick but the milk is still coming back up. It must have been down to the tummy first if he hasn't eaten for 40 mins, no?

Offline lhurley168

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 18:59:34 pm »
He is taking ranitidine. Could it be he's not digesting all he eats?

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 02:43:48 am »
I'm wondering if it is one that stops acid production so it doesn't hurt when he is sick but the milk is still coming back up.

Yes Ranitidine reduces the amount of stomach acid that is being produced.  But it wont decrease the amount of spitup :(  It will just decrease the acid so the spitup isnt painful and the esophagus can heal.

What does of ranitidine is he on?  If spitting up is bothering him again, it is possible that he needs an increase in the dose, since ranitidine is weight sensitive.

Offline lhurley168

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 03:28:49 am »
Yes I've heard that weight gain and increasing the dose go together. It does seem in the last few days I can tell when it's not effective any longer. Ill most likely call the Dr. and get things worked out. All was good before my original post on night feeds.

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 16:59:02 pm »
Yes, definitely see the doctor :)  I know lots of parents find that ranitidine dose needs to be adjusted frequently because babies grow so quickly.