Author Topic: HELP! very confused with amount to feed and how often!  (Read 2205 times)

Offline rynw

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
HELP! very confused with amount to feed and how often!
« on: November 19, 2013, 20:41:16 pm »
hi everyone,

I'm so very confused.

my son is five weeks old and weighs somewhere in the eight pound range. (he was born at five pounds, nine ounces).

he is on formula.

I'm trying to introduce the E.A.S.Y. routine starting today.

the pediatrician's office says he should be having 3oz every 3-4 hours and a total of 20-30oz a day.

the whisperer book says up to six weeks to feed 2-5oz (7-8 feeds a day) and a total of 18-24oz a day.

the similac guide shows one to two months to feed 4-5oz (5-6 feeds a day) and a total of 20-30oz a day.

HELP?! I'm a little confused here.

thanks so much in advance.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: HELP! very confused with amount to feed and how often!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 20:49:31 pm »
It is confusing isn't it!

Your best bet is to follow the cues of your baby and feed on demand to appetite! Generally speaking if a formula fed baby is allowed to eat to their appetite they will go about 3 hours between feeds. Are you familiar with the Baby Whisperer EASY routine? For babies up to 4 months we use a 3 hour feed routine and then they move to 4 hour feeds around the 4 month mark.

The advice in the UK is add another oz to the bottle when they start draining bottles. The idea with a bottle feed is that it should be done in about 20 mins and when they are finished there should be a bit of milk left in the bottle so that you know they stopped because they are full and not because the bottle is empty.

Babies are very good at self regulating and won't generally over eat providing they aren't pushed to finish feeds. Remember too that the guides are just that - guides, all babies are different and have different needs which is why you need to follow your babies cues.

HTH!

Laura

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 20:54:18 pm »
Hi, I used to go by LO really if they are draining bottles then you know you need to up amount, ideally you want to have maybe an ounce left. I think around your LO age I was making up 4/5oz bottles for 6/7 feeds in 24 hours.
Don't forget LO will have growth spurts too so might be starving some days.
Your LO still young so I would just feed as near to 3 hour mark but keep it a relaxed easy and if you need an extra bottle then don't worry just give it.
Hope that helps a bit x
Zoe

Offline Kaylyn

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 21:58:06 pm »
20 minutes!!! never 30 minutes on a good day 1 hr on a bad day with 2 ounces left

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 22:15:59 pm »
20 minutes!!! never 30 minutes on a good day 1 hr on a bad day with 2 ounces left

Honestly! If feeds are taking longer than 20 mins then you probably need a faster teat or you are getting into snacking territory. If you let feeds go on then they don't have a chance to get properly hungry and then they don't take the next feed properly and so on. My two would drain an 8oz bottle in 10 mins max by 5/6 months ;D.

Laura

Offline Kaylyn

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 23:00:06 pm »
will try the fast nipples tomorrow. how do I know if its too fast for him. He used to sit straight up and fuss.