Author Topic: Church going Moms - twin specific - but any advise is great!  (Read 1992 times)

Offline 4lamps

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Church going Moms - twin specific - but any advise is great!
« on: November 20, 2013, 05:00:29 am »
I wasn't sure where to post this so please move if needed.  I need some advise from those of you who attend church.  Since my twins were born I have done EASY.  I always make sure they get their naps and they like to nap in their crib. They are 11 months old now and pretty active. We are currently in a transition with their A & S times during the day. Anyways, before they were born, I was very involved in my church and now it seems I cannot make it on time because of the AM nap, cannot make it to the midweek evening service because of bed time and this mama wants to get back into church.  I think it's a part of my personality and the fact that I am a first time mom that I am afraid to veer off the EASY routine and possibly skip an AM nap on Sunday's and push BT pack 2 hours on Wednesdays.

So I'm just wondering what others who have LO's do when they want to go to church?
TIA!

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: Church going Moms - twin specific - but any advise is great!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 14:00:32 pm »
I am not a church goer, but if you post your day in an EASY format and what times you would like to go to church we can think together how can one do that.
I am a great believe in EASY but I don't think (and I also don't think that's what Tracey wanted) that parents should give up their activities for the sake of raising kids.
We all have to make compromises (I also don't party till the early morning anymore), but something like going to church should be possible.

Have you started the 2-1 transition already? Which nap is the shorter one - the AM or the PM nap?
For the evening service would there be someone who can stay with them at home?
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline kayra

• Showing Appreciation 60
  • 2 for 1!!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 14:09:37 pm »
I'm getting ready to have twins so we'll see how this goes with 2, but with my DS I just came to accept that his EASY was going to be a bit off on sundays. When he was smaller he was very good at continuing his naps during church, but as he got older I would just take what I got. He was never a good napper in the stroller so I knew that I was only going to get 45mins and just learnt to live with that. I'm guessing that I then did an earlier bed time or sthg can't really remember to be honest, but church was and is a big part of our life, it was my lifeline to normalcy, and everyone loves him because they've known him and held him since he was a baby :) I just tried to make sure we had a calm day on monday so we could do any catching up.
Midweek is at church I gather? We were in homes and we chose to have things in our home so we could join but if it was a case of going out I think DH and I would have taken turns, I think just because I was a bit fussier regarding night sleep. Or a babysitter like Ima Shel Alon suggested. So it's a personal choice I guess.

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

Offline momtonb&ab

• Showing Appreciation 234
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 15:09:32 pm »
We were always off a bit on Sundays.  We either had naps in the car on the way (drove around for a while when need be and only woke them just in time) or later skipped it when possible.  Your spiritual well being is every bit as important as a good easy .... 

Offline 4lamps

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 18:03:43 pm »
Thank you everyone! so our Sunday morning service is from 10-12 and Wednesday night from 7-8:30pm.  We are starting the 2-1 nap transition which I just started about 1 week ago and last week was a big teething week, so we still working this new EASY out.  But it has been the AM nap that is the shortest at 45mins to 1 hour.  Afternoon nap is anywhere from 1-1.5 hours (sometimes 2 but rarely).  BT is from 6:30/7pm and they wake between 6:30/6:45am so they are getting great night sleep. 
Here is our EASY schedule on a normal day:
6.45 wake
7:15 bottle
8:15 breakfast
9:45 -10:45 nap
11:30 lunch/bottle
1:30 bottle
2:00-3/3:30nap
3/3:30 shack
4:45 dinner
6:15/6:30 bottle
6:30/7 BT

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 19:55:19 pm »
if you think they def. wont' do the short nap at church in the stroller I'd just skip it and aim to get them down for their afternoon nap earlier, 1-1.30 if possible and depending on when they wake up bring bedtime a bit earlier if necessary.

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 19:59:09 pm »
For the Wednesday night, I'd try to alternate with my OH, if possible, unless there's a good reason he should be there as well as you?
*** Amanda ***

Offline 4lamps

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 22:39:07 pm »
yes i was thining of alternating with DH on Wed. nights also, but he really just wants us all to go together.  We don't always see eye to eye on the babies schedule and to him it is no big deal.  It may be an option to have someone watch them while we go though. I'm checking in to that. 
I'll try for the 1 nap on Sunday and see how it goes.  Thanks ladies, I appreciate your input. =)

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 13:17:14 pm »
Don't mean to confuse you... but would they go down earlier than 9:45 for short nap? That way they could wake up just before you need to leave the house. Of course the day will be a bit off, but like Kayra said, you can make sure you stay at home on Mondays and go back on track.
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline cath~

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 14:09:05 pm »
Or could you APOP a short CN (e.g. in buggy or car) on way to church on Sunday morning?

Perhaps leave home a bit earlier to give them the opportunity to fit it in.  Even just 15 mins might be enough to get them through the service if they can't happily last til later for a nap right now.  It would prob only be for a few weeks/couple of months that you'd need to do it anyway.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 21:57:41 pm »
For the Wednesday night, there will come a time where you just can't go together because the babies will be more of a distraction than they are now.  I always saw it as being ahead of that curve and getting used to how things would be for a while.
*** Amanda ***

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 09:03:22 am »
that's a good point Amanda, with evening dos it's pretty much a given that we either alternate or find a babysitter.

Angel, April 2011

Offline 4lamps

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 18:58:32 pm »
Thanks Ladies! Just wanted to let you know that I took them to church last Sunday without a nap.  I left a little early and drove around to give them a chance, but they didn't fall asleep.  Our church is only 15 mins. from our house so it doesn't give them much time to fall asleep. But they did well playing in the nursery and they also ate their snack and lunch while there.  When we came home they went to sleep pretty quick and slept for 2.5 hours.  They also went to bed a little earlier that night and STTN without a prob.  I thought they would sleep more in Monday, but instead, they both skipped their am naps and took only a short afternoon nap.  I am just trying to keep them as close to their normal routine as I can.  I think it's just too early to go to one nap on a daily basis, but they must need some more A time.  My mom has offered to stay with them on Wed. nights so that we can go to church! Yippee!!!  When the get older I will be able to keep them in the nursery or class for their age on the evening service, but who knows when that will be.  Eventually, I think that might just be a night where they will have to go to bed later. 

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 19:03:58 pm »
sounds like it went perfectly, that's great :) It's a new life style but it is temporary, there will come the day when naps etc aren't an issue at all!

Angel, April 2011

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 21:23:58 pm »
Good job :)  And well done, mum! :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline cath~

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 07:29:44 am »
Sounds like it worked well :)
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline AliR

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 02:07:21 am »
Hey, just seen your post.  Well done you for getting there.  I was going to suggest too that taking their lunch with you and having it before you return home is a great way to give them enough energy to get home and then straight into bed, but it looks like you've already got that one covered! Our DD1 has got used to the fact that Sundays are a little out from normal routine and she often falls asleep on the walk home from church and then transfers and has her nap. 

I know it's not your question, but I would also highly recommend investing in particular friendships.  DD1's godmother lives very locally and last week when I'd had several awful nights in a row with DD2 and was having one of those teary emotional days, she took DD1 to church and gave me the space and time to go back to sleep!  Also useful when one of them is ill.  I guess DH also has this role but being a clergy spouse, I don't have that luxury!