Author Topic: E.A.S.Y routine possible in daycare?  (Read 760 times)

Offline Nolabear

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 20, 2013, 18:17:22 pm »
So i am not a strict EASY follower, but we do follow the routine to an extent. My baby Eats as soon as he wakes up..then there is a bit of Activity time, and then he Sleeps (usually in his swing, which I know T. Hogg is against). I dont follow any time recommendations, but I do wake him if he sleeps longer than an hour. I am sending him to daycare in a little over a month. He will be about 13 weeks. This is an in home childcare..2 ladies over 6 babies..my son is the only under 6 months. When I mentioned to her today that we follow somewhat of a routine where he eats when he wakes up she was a bit confused and said usually its the other way around and they take a bottle to sleep. I didnt want to scare her and sound like I am on the crazy strict routine so I kind of just laughed it off. Am I crazy to think my baby can stick to this routine while in her care? Am I shortchanging my son since he will most likely be on a totally diff schedule than the other babies? should I just let her form her own routine with him and continue on my own at night? Im confused :( Help!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 19:07:38 pm by jessmum46 »

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: E.A.S.Y routine possible in daycare?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 13:12:53 pm »
Hi Nolabear,

It sounds like you've made a good start with following a loose EASY routine :) It was never meant to be a strict schedule and Tracy did believe in doing what was best for the family.  If for you that's having naps in the swing for now that's fine!  You can always change it later on if you start running into problems.

I just wonder why you are waking LO if he sleeps longer than an hour?  For babies to be well-rested by naps they usually need to have at least two full sleep cycles which for most would be 1.5h or more.  We usually suggest letting LO sleep up to 2h if they want/need it - might just help :)

Daycare is always tricky but in a small home context I think it's different to a big centre with lots of children where they can't be as flexible.  Things may not be exactly the same at daycare as at home but she should accept your wishes for him not to be fed to sleep with a bottle.  I would probably arrange a time to sit down with her and explain your normal routine - if you approach it in a 'this works really well for us and I'd really appreciate it if you could do your best to stick to it' kind of manner then I don't see that she could argue.  You could explain the reasons why you don't want LO to feed to sleep and I would have thought any good daycare provider should be open to promoting good sleep habits.  That said with other children to consider she may not be able to stick to exact nap times etc, but you can always do EBT on daycare days to help.  Have you spoken to her about nap arrangements and what she's planning to do with him?