Author Topic: 9.5 month old - was an alright sleeper, but now waking at 5am!!!  (Read 1499 times)

Offline stephgers

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hi, I'm too tired from being up at 5am.  My baby used to sleep in till about 630am - 730am but in the last few weeks there has been a few mornings where she would be up at 5am!!  Standing up, calling out to get her out of the cot.  She has always had a pretty consistent bedtime at about 6-7pm, and she is having 2 naps a day.  From about 10-1130, and 2-330.  However, she loves napping in the car so any trip out and she would miss that next nap. 

Now that she wakes up at 5am, she usually has a nap at about 9am as she would be beside herself by then. 

I think this is the separation anxiety stage as well - as she tends to cling onto my legs, and as a very independent baby, she is a lot more cuddly and  baby-ish. 

How do I make her sleep till 7am again?? Have tried feeding her and popping her back into the cot, but she would just wail for a bit, then play in there for about 20 mins before demanding to get out. 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks

Offline Jodes112

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
  • You got this! 🙌🏻
Re: 9.5 month old - was an alright sleeper, but now waking at 5am!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 07:54:30 am »
Hi hun,

Usually for us an EW means we need to increase A times between naps (she isnt getting enough awake time in the day)

My almost 9 month old is doing 3.5 hr awake before first nap, 3.5/3.75 awake before next nap & then about 3.5 hr awake until bed.  From what you have posted, is it right that there is only 2.5hr between 1st nap & second nap? (On a normal day)

I would try pushing out awake times slowly, although you said when she wakes up at 5am, her first nap is at 9ish, how are the naps then for the rest of the day? It could be that this 4hrs initial awake is too much, causing overtiredness.

Jody
 xx

Offline Jodes112

• You got this! 🙌🏻
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 07:58:23 am »
Also, when she wakes is she crying? Or just babbling. Usually if dd every wakes early, majority of time if i just leave her along she drops back off on her own. If she gets into a cry then we get up x
Jody
 xx

Offline stephgers

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 20:49:12 pm »
Actually those days that she's been up at 5, she crashes about 830, but in the car while we are out running errands.

The prob might be her sleep in the car - however she always napped while we were out but it never affected her before. Today, she woke up at 445 crying/ looking for her dummy, I gave it to her, then she called out again at 5ish but we sorta left her till 6am. Not sure if she dozed off or not.

So if I'm putting her to nap 3.5 hrs after she wakes regardless, how do I get her to wake back at 7?

Ps it's bright at 5am now it's summer but we keep the curtains drawn.

Offline stephgers

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 02:20:41 am »
I just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions and help with day naps - I didn't think the timing of that would affect her sleep.

New routine -
E-630am
A-
S-1015am-1130am
Y
E-1130
A
S 3-430pm
y
E 5pm dinner
A
S 630/7pm

She woke at 6am the day before and 630am today.  So we're on the right track! Thanks again!!

Offline Jodes112

• You got this! 🙌🏻
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 07:03:44 am »
Thats brilliant news! Im so glad its working out x

Ps, we have a blackout blind and a curtain it lets a little light in but that all xx
Jody
 xx