Author Topic: How many feeds in 24hrs at 5.5 months?  (Read 8237 times)

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: How many feeds in 24hrs at 5.5 months?
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2013, 12:52:21 pm »
Would a DF stop that, or would he just wake 2.5hrs after that instead?
Don' tknow, guess the only way is to try it. For me the advantage of a DF is that DH can do it, so you can get a bit chunk of feed, and then even settle him without feeding if he wants to feed less than 3-4 hrs later.

Quote (selected)
Would formula at the DF (or at his first night feed) enable him to go longer?
Probably not. Possibly. Again IMO the reason for choosing formula at this stage would be for convenience so that DH could do a dream feed and you could get a solid chunk of sleep in. It's possible he might sleep a bit longer, who knows. I wouldn't recommend or even suggest formula if you were still EBF, but since he's on solids now I think it's fine, unless of course you have a big objection to formula per se.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2013, 13:14:37 pm »
Yeah formula is not necessarily going to help him go longer...my ebf baby is the one who goes longest, the older two had formula from a few weeks and it did not make a huge difference (S still had a df and two nf, can't remember M's nights really). For me it was the convenience....DH did the bedtime bottle, first so I could have a bath while he put M to bed and then with S so that I could do M's bedtime routine.
Heidi

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2013, 10:34:55 am »
unless of course you have a big objection to formula per se.
No, formula was fine for DS1, I have nothing against it, or at least I didnt think I did.....I caved last night and tried a bottle and I was almost in tears making it, I dont know why it made me so sad!  ::)

He was ridiculously OT last night. He woke early evening and I managed, after a bit of fussing, to settle him but then come 9.30pm he was screaming. I fed him (bf) but he would just suck a few times then fall asleep, but if I put him down he screamed. Nothing I did would settle him. So, I thought maybe a bottle would get a feed into him, and as by this time it was gone 10pm I thought it was an opportunity to try a bottle for the DF. He was having none of it. I dont know if it was the bottle, the formula or both. He didnt actually drink any but would have had a taste. And then he wouldnt take the boob, and even struggled to take the dummy  ::)

I did manage to get him to take a BF about 30 mins later as he still hadn't calmed, but he gave the nipple a thorough check first to ensure there was no bottle going on!!

We then had more screaming later in the night, but it's all down to OT, I know that for sure.
Catherine x

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2013, 14:23:14 pm »
*hugs* Really hard when they do that.  FWIW, when DD used to get like that it was down to a growth spurt and wanting to feed, but being too beside herself to latch on.
*** Amanda ***

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2013, 16:21:15 pm »
E gets like that too...mostly when she has trapped wind/gas and wants to guzzle but needs to burp and then works herself into such a state she is swallowing air and making it worse!
Heidi

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2013, 00:16:45 am »
E gets like that too...mostly when she has trapped wind/gas and wants to guzzle but needs to burp and then works herself into such a state she is swallowing air and making it worse!
I was going to say this too!

Hugs Catherine :-*

Just wondering - if there is teeth coming they may be giving him a bit of a sore tum and bit of reflux - early evening (7-10) is always terrible for us when T teethes or GS etc from him lying down and a bot of reflux coming up x
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2013, 02:18:47 am »
Well, things are improving :)

I've stuck with he same routine nap wise which means we no longer have him awake for hours in the night either screaming with OT or chatting with UT. I've also stuck with 4 hourly bf's and only two smaller solid meals.

He has been still waking at 12 ish and 2 ish for feeds, but the last two nights he's gone longer and has had feeds at 12 ish then 4 ish :) And tonight, here we are at 2.15 having our first NF :) (he did wake around 10pm but just needed a quick resettle)

I haven't attempted the bottle again yet, so no DF as yet.
Catherine x