Author Topic: Is BLW better for reflux babies?  (Read 4299 times)

Offline cuckoochick

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
Is BLW better for reflux babies?
« on: November 22, 2013, 15:50:19 pm »
So G is seemingly wanting to feed herself and she's also getting food envy quite early on.
I did intro some purées this week but after the first 2 days if voraciously eating she's not been so fussed so I'm thinking of keeping it v low key and switching to BLW as soon as she's 6mos. I'm right in thinking that you have to wait for 6mos for finger foods right??

C rejected the spoon v quickly too and so we just switched to BLW v quickly with her too. It's fine by me and we have lovely mealtimes together and I know G likely wants to be part of that too. ;D

So does anyone know if BLW is better /worse for reflux bubs? Thanks :-*

*Nicola*

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Is BLW better for reflux babies?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 15:57:48 pm »
No idea about reflux bubs. I think the guidelines about developmental milestones are more important than chronological age. Audrey was a 5.5 months when I gave her a piece of broccoli to play with, and she nommed down on it straight away. I think the tongue-thrust thing isn't an issue with BLW because if they're not ready they just won't eat it. So being able to sit up well (in a highchair), and able to grab food and bring it to her mouth. The beauty of BLW is that if she's not ready, she just won't eat anything. So you can't really go wrong as long as you don't try posting bits of food in.

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 19:33:19 pm »
I found blw has been better for dd2 once she got the hang of food.  Purees are watered down, and I found that just added to the liquid in her tummy.  Her reflux tendencies got a lot better once she coukd chow down on toast or crackers or english muffins and the fruits and veggies without all the extra water :)

Offline Bex09

• Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 19:45:35 pm »
I am planning to do BLW this time around, as the whole solids battle was a nightmare with C and just stressed me out. A friend of mine has a LO just turned 6 mo and apparently the HVs here now say that you should wean using BLW and not the more traditional way of purées etc. I was surprised really, pleased but surprised. So sounds like the way to go to me hun. C always preferred finger foods anyway, I just wish I had been more switched on and just gone with BLW wholeheartedly.

Offline cuckoochick

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 20:06:39 pm »
Traditional weaning is still the most talked about here by HVs although BLW is covered. I never intended to start before 6mos with G and just wanted to go down the BLW route. Much less faff IMO! But the HV told me v strictly purées only of fruit and veg until 6mos and nothing else when I mentioned the GP wanted us to wean early.

It's not much of an issue as apart from the first two days she's not been interested in spoon feeding at all but she does want to be at our food. Of course she's great at putting things in her mouth so would it be wrong to put something on her tray (veggie spears) or just try to distract her with toys as she's gazing longingly at our dinner and smacking her lips? Or should I wait a while longer? She's good at sitting up supported- we haven't actually got her highchair yet as it's at the ILs so when I have her at the table rather than in her bouncer she sits on my lap (hence the lunging at plates) or sits in her bumbo with the tray on.

Thanks x

*Nicola*

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 20:30:08 pm »
Hmm I'm not sure hun. I guess if it was really sloppy stuff like sticks of very ripe pear, banana, etc that would soon be a purée in her mouth once G sucked and gummed it. I really don't know though. Would she dip her hands into the purée and suck it off? Would that distract her at mealtimes if you were worried about finger foods as such?

Offline cuckoochick

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 20:32:28 pm »
Yeah I could do that. Will give it a try tomorrow. She wants to hold the spoon herself but she's very chewy the last few days so that could be teeth. She's a hoot to watch diving for food though. Even when you try to eat in secret, she hawk eyes you!

*Nicola*

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 20:33:48 pm »
Why not hand her a spear of broccoli or well cooked carrot off your plate and let her play with it?

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 20:36:58 pm »
Aww bless her! Yes of course cooked veg would be good as again it would be slop once she has sucked it. She might just play with it anyway rather than chew it.

Offline cuckoochick

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 20:37:16 pm »
I did last night, Anna. Straight to her mouth, she gummed it but not really chewed. It wasn't well cooked particularly as we don't eat it like that and I hadn't intended to give it to her. Thanks ladies for giving me the confidence to just give it a try, Ill just give her some soft veggies in spears (C's faves were courgettes) and she'll be v closely supervised. 

*Nicola*

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 20:39:05 pm »
Go for it. I know what you mean about the well cooked veggies. A stick of ripe pear might do the job, or a wedge of avocado (I leave the skin on, still, for Audrey). Worst that can happen is she'll bite a bit off and gag and be a bit sick, which isn't lovely at the dinner table, but it's all in the name of learning.

Offline cuckoochick

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 20:47:27 pm »
C used to strip the softer flesh from nectarines and courgette away from the skin but she was a bit older. We have broccoli/cauliflower loads so I'll give her a try with some. BLW suits me so much better...I like to eat my dinner rather than spoon feeding!!! ;) ha!

*Nicola*

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 21:58:30 pm »
I also started DS at 5.5 months, after about a month of him screaming the place down every time I ate something, even if he had just had his milk. I fully intended to wait to the full 6 months but in the end I couldn't bare the screaming any more and I was hardly eating anything so he didn't get upset, it was all getting a bit much for both of us so I gave in and let him eat.  Worked out great here.

His reflux was at it's worst at that time, I'd only just got him an appointment with the paediatrician and been prescribed meds so I can't really say if it helped or didn't but when I told the paediatrician a month later that I'd started him a bit early she didn't bat an eye and seemed very positive about it.  Two things I found - raw pear made him reflux which was a huge surprise as pear is one of the friendliest foods, and I had to be careful how much water he took, large drinks of water came right back up.  You'll catch on pretty fast to things like that though.

I made baked wedges of apple, potato, sweet potato etc as they are dryish on the outside so easy to pick up but very soft on the inside.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 00:48:40 am »
Hey love.
BLW is good for LOs with reflux that have an aversion to feeding I think. But otherwise it's probably not much different to a non reflux bub. Some just prefer to feed themselves. ::) :P that said, in NZ BLw isn't rec till 6 mths ...
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline cuckoochick

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 08:22:34 am »
Yeah it isn't here but I guess neither are solids recommended until 6mos. This is the kind of thing that really makes me crazy about my parenting...I just never know what is the right thing to do!

*Nicola*