Author Topic: Not enough time for play  (Read 2526 times)

Offline Hedgehog17

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 71
Not enough time for play
« on: November 23, 2013, 14:38:40 pm »
DS is a master procrastinator  :(

It takes him ages to eat meals, get dressed, use the potty / have a pull-up change, get ready for bed, or even to make a decision sometimes. By the time we've managed to achieve these essential practical things, there is often little time left for play  :'(

I tell him that if he does "X" quickly then there will be lots of time to play, but he isn't taking it on board, dithering about as much as he can. He's also going through the lovely "I want to do it!" stage with the accompanying tantrums when we run out of time and DH or I have to step in and do it for him  ::)

I feel sorry for him that he's missing out on playtime because he can't just get on with things, and he doesn't grasp that it's entirely within his power to get more playtime if he would just DO IT ALREADY and stop messing about!

I know there's probably nothing I can do about this as it's just because he's 3. The thing is he'll be at nursery for 5 mornings a week from January so he will have even less playtime at home  :(

I was wondering if some kind of visual daily chart would help, but am not sure what would work exactly...

Is there any way to get through to him, or do I just have to wait for him to mature a bit more  ???

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Not enough time for play
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 03:52:51 am »
Bumping this up for you -- and will think about it as well...

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 06:04:24 am »
Been thinking about this, HH. My take on it - he's spending time learning while he's trying to do these tasks, and plenty of fine and gross motor skills involved across those activities too. At this age, play is for learning and developing those same skills, so I wouldn't worry too much unless he's upset about missing out on playing.

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 19:13:29 pm »
Been thinking about this, HH. My take on it - he's spending time learning while he's trying to do these tasks, and plenty of fine and gross motor skills involved across those activities too. At this age, play is for learning and developing those same skills, so I wouldn't worry too much unless he's upset about missing out on playing.

I was thinking the same thing too.  IIWM I'd just follow his lead.  If he wants to spend more time on certain things (and you're able to let him do that) then Id just do that.  Sure one day his interests will change and he might be more keen to do other things.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Hedgehog17

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 22:41:52 pm »
Thanks ladies  :)

He has managed to speed up a bit in the last few days, so he is getting more playtime  ;D

I suppose it is just a case of learning, but with things like eating food I'd have thought he'd had plenty of practise (2.5 years worth!) at that by now  ::)

We'll have to see how he gets on from January with the new routine...

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 06:05:27 am »
with things like eating food I'd have thought he'd had plenty of practise (2.5 years worth!) at that by now
DH is 28 and still slow - some people just eat slowly ;)

Offline Hedgehog17

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 07:55:17 am »
I eat slowly. DS messes about, flaps his arms, tries to play, talks a lot, and as a result eats little unless I feed him too  ::)