Author Topic: Snack confussion!  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Georgena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Snack confussion!
« on: November 23, 2013, 17:55:25 pm »
Hi!  This might be a really silly question but my head isnt really with it at the mo!!
So, LO is 10 months and is on 3 meals a day and 4 bf
She bf on WU 6:30
10h (ish)
15h (ish)
And before bed
The bf alone dont seem to be seeing her through to meal times so can i give snacks as well as bf?
And do i give them with the Bf?
 Mornings until lunch are fine but the afternoons are,....well,...i bf before her nap at about 15h (used to feed on wu,this changedrecently as her A times have increased)
she is hungry when she wakes up but its too early for dinner, can i give a snack here or should i give more before her nap to see her through?

Im just confussed as i thought that eventually bf would be replaced by snacks but now she seems to want snacks and bf ???  Maybe it doesnt help as im dealing with EW at the mo so her days seem quite long and the stretch from lunch to dinner is quite long! But yep, whats the deal with snacks and bf's?!
( sorry, i strayed slightly!) thank you!  :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Snack confussion!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 23:11:21 pm »
Hi
I didn't breast feed but I think introducing snacks around this time is pretty normal either way.  Usually either the mid morning or mid afternoon milk feed is replaced with a solids snack and drink of water (sippy cup or open cup, straw cup etc), I've seen more afternoon feeds switched first so it sounds like your LO is right on track with wanting a snack.
It's totally up to you if you wish to continue with a breast feed too.  Personally I wouldn't have (had I been able to bf), I'd let it drop to 3 feeds but it's up to you.  I would give the solids snack around 3pm, a little earlier if she needs time to eat before her nap time.

Milk remains priority until 12 months but in these last couple of months if solids are going well there isn't a problem to switch one and then two feeds to solid snacks leaving just morning and evening milk feeds.

hth

Offline Georgena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 08:57:34 am »
Thanks creations I will give that a go today,  what kind of thing do you give as a snack,  or more like how much?  Would i be on the right line with yogurt and fruit?

Offline creations

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 09:24:23 am »
Give anything you like really :)

I based snacks on a couple of things
- giving an overall 'balance' of food groups across the day (so if she has yogurt and fruit for breakfast then perhaps something else for snack, yk, just think about the food groups)
- how hungry he was at that snack time (we had a long period of him needing a HUGE morning snack, almost lunch but at 10.30 - 11.00am so fruit just wouldn't have cut it)
- if I was at home or out and about (so how easy it was to transport and how much mess it made to eat)

Is your LO happy to eat family meals and finger foods now?  If so then really anything, left over dinner form the night before... if not then perhaps this is a good time to focus on finger food?

Top snacks here were oaty chews (like flap jack made with oats and dried fruit but no honey or sugar or syrup), pancakes made with banana, grated pear or apple, mini muffins (sugar free) made with sweet potato or carrot, cheese scones, sugar free biscuits, crackers, crumpet or toast, fingers of naan bread.  Oven baked wedges of potato or sweet potato, apple, pear, chunks of cheese.  Most of our snacks I arranged around being able to take them out and about easily.  And always some fruit.
As for how much, well I allowed him to self regulate so gave him as much as he wanted until he was full.  I found this way that, yes, morning snack was huge, but he still ate his meals. Often LOs are less hungry at dinner time (evening meal) so it's ok to have a larger snack and less at dinner at this age...later on they can shift their appetite to more 'adult' times and eventually it is appropriate to limit snacks to ensure good meals are eaten with the family but your baby is still really young so follow her lead and you'll be fine.  You only don't want the milk to drop completely but I'm sure it wont', you still have 3 bf per day and if she needs more milk she'll take it at those times.

hope this helps :)

Offline Georgena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 10:41:51 am »
Thank you, that really helps, shes loving her Finger foods now, sometimes thats all she wants,  'no spoon thanks mum!!! ' i need to get on a cooking/baking mission! Not my strongest talent!!  :-\

Offline creations

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 19:35:06 pm »
Sounds good that she loves her finger foods :)
If you have sloppy foods you could always pre-load a spoon then put it down on her tray/plate and let her pick it up herself...or just eat fist fulls of food :)

Loads of ideas on the recipe boards if you need inspiration xx