Author Topic: Help please...does this sound like a food issue? - skin prick testing advice plz  (Read 4706 times)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
t has started to have very restless evenings once in bed asleep for say 1-2 hrs. Sometimes the NW are long, sometimes he stirs every 20 mins but goes back to sleep for an hour or two :o in the end I'm always needed  and he is just restless.

He doesn't want us there, but he can't settle. He wriggles, he cries, paci in and out. Sometimes farts. Seems to have a bit of reflux :-\ I just remember when he was tiny this was intollerant pain. Could it be at 13 mths something or something's has built up and is causing these NW? - it all stared a few weeks ago along sith an eczema flare. But I dont even know were to begin :'(

Or am I kidding myself and this is just OT/teeth, of something else?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 18:03:58 pm by ZacsMumme »
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Help please...does this sound like a food issue?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 18:03:27 pm »
I have just received an email from our plead who has a lab form for t for skin prick testing. - how reliable is this before 2 yrs and is there anything not on huge main range I should ask to be included?
***Sara***

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
My understanding of skin prick tests are that they are looking for an immune system involved reaction, so a true allergy, but it won't show up an intolerance :-\.  DS has a skin prick test for egg just before he turned 2 which was negative and he then had an egg challenge at the hospital which was also negative for reaction.

I am convinced that egg made his reflux worse, but that was cooked egg as a minor ingredient in a food. He came out in raised red patches when he had scrambled egg, you could see exactly where the egg had touched his skin and he ate some of soufflé type dessert once which made his whole face red and his eyes started swelling. His reactions were more than digestive discomfort from intollerances, but luckily he had outgrown it by 2. 

Laura

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
(((hugs))) hon. It does sound to me like it may be food-related. Have you tried pain meds to rule out teething? Anything in particular makes you think he could be OT? How is he during the day?

I recall you saying Z had worms at some point, could this affect T as well? Sorry I don't know much about this but just a thought.

Any new foods in the past 2-3 weeks?

I think Laura said it all for the skin prick testing, you can do it and it may give you some peace of mind, but it's not because something is negative on the prick test that he's not intolerant to it, kwim? I have heard patch testing can be more reliable for delayed allergies or intolerances but never tried it.
Elise

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
So would food sensitivities show up? :-\ I have a feeling nothing will come of the prick test ::)

Tried everything to rule out other pains...I'm not going to give meds tonight as they make no difference :'( today he has barely eaten. I'm giving lots of neocate and safe food only.

I did worm both boys but it's summer here, sand and dirt is rife. So is fingers in mouth and everywhere else so I'll keep an eye out for worms again.

So have you ladies had any luck in easing NW discomfort from food intolerance related restlessness? Does anything help at the time?
***Sara***

Offline ENMS

So would food sensitivities show up? :-\

I think not from what I've seen on google...  but I'm no expert.

I've read about blood tests to detect food sensitivities and I'm actually thinking of doing it for myself, not sure though if it would work for smaller children or not ???

I recall M having a bout of SA around that age too... but I'm assuming that would not be it.

For us nothing really worked other than re-adjusting his diet, sorry I wish I had magic words for you today. M was often soothed by a bottle, not the greatest idea I know, but it really worked well for him.

Good luck :-*
Elise

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
I initially thought as but he's back to Is and he doesn't want us when we are there. He is beside himself in this state of wrigglyness and cramping. He actually settles better without us. Honestly I'd be happy to rock him if it meant I got 45 mins lol. He can't get comfy YK?

Thanks Hun. We've been trying the bottle too ;)

At least he is having a catch up nap ATM. 2.5 hrs he will prob wake soon.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:30:54 am by ZacsMumme »
***Sara***

Offline ENMS

ah poor boy. I hate when they're feeling like that. (((hugs)))
Elise

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Sensitivities dont show up on a skin prick or blood allergy tests and I think under two they are unreliable (though many allergist will say they are anyways as you can get false negatives or false positives). Really the only true way to know is by a reaction as even if something showed up as positive it may not be an allergy. Plus if testing is done when his system is on high alert anyways that could make it misleading.

This site is an awesome resource:

http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org
Heidi

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Thanks Heidi :-*

Well he did a3 hr nap I woke from and a STTN so I'm convinced food is at least part of the problem. Back to basics I guess ::)
***Sara***

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Hi, as PPs have said the skin prick tests are due fast acting allergies. If he hasn't had hives, vomiting, swelling etc they won't show anything.

At Ts age olly had been diagnosed with his allergies but was still up for hours. That is when we took fructose out and it cured his crampy, windy NWs.

Olly didn't particularly find us comforting either. No way we could have left him crying though so all in all felt totally useless!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Thanks Hun. I am thinking fructose could still be a problem even though he doesn't have much fruit. Ill head back to the appropriate sites to check out heat to avoid.

He slept well last night again. I'm certain 'something' isn't agreeing with his tummy...but given I've gone right back to basics I'm not sure 'what ' it is.

Could potatoes be a problem?
***Sara***

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Sorry quick Q. If fructose is a problem then sweet potatoes are bad, but yams ok. Here ya so ook nothing like sweet potato but on thefartingpear yams look like our sweet potato! We have red kumera, golden kumera/sweet potato and beuroguard ??sp orange sweet potato. Anyone know which if any is actually considered a yam?
***Sara***

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Sorry no idea! Yams here look different too.
Heidi

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Sorry not seen yams here  :P