Author Topic: Tea set - wooden, tin, china?  (Read 4096 times)

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« on: November 24, 2013, 20:29:03 pm »
I like the idea of a wooden one because it would be unbreakable and lovely and warm in the hand.  But would it be so heavy, she'd clonk herself or others with it.  How sad if she was 'sipping her tea' and bust a lip! 

Any ideas?  I love the look of the IKEA one but not sure about the materials...all china, I think?
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90130163/#
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
Re: Tea set - wooden, tin, china?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 20:34:11 pm »
We've been given gifts of china ones and they do break eventually but I think LOs love the sound of a mini metal spoon in a china cup!

Never bought a tin one....and have plastic ones of course!!!

I'd go for the IKEA one - its so cute!

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 22:58:08 pm »
We have a lovey melamine one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Emma-Bridgewater-Dolls-Service-Polka/dp/B003BZ16G8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1385333784&sr=8-4&keywords=emma+bridgewater+tea+sets

Expensive though  :-\. With DD we often bought one quality thing for a pressie as we already had so much from DS.

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 23:14:12 pm »
We've got the Ikea one, hasn't broken yet.

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 23:44:16 pm »
 Amelia got this one from a gf of mine as a gift when she was 2.....we have loved it! It's tin....Still hets played with!

http://www.childs-tea-set.com/img/sa%20in%20case.jpg

The Ikea one is precious!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 07:57:41 am »
DS plays with the wooden one -- the same one that Nona posted -- at kindergarten ALL the time.  It's not heavy at all.

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 20:00:03 pm »
it also comes with little wooden tea bags and wooden sugar cubes.
heather

Offline weaver

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 12:59:09 pm »
it also comes with little wooden tea bags and wooden sugar cubes.
That got to be it, then.  She would love that!

I was thinking I'd get LO2 the tea set and LO1 an ark but they are both having so much fun with the play kitchen, I think I'll get him lots of play food and stuff to make a play shop. 
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 23:25:17 pm »
Been following along, lurking, because those tea sets are all sooooo lovely!
DS has all plastic, not so lovely to look at, but he still loves them. I don't think you can go wrong with kitchen stuff, food etc, it seems all/most LOs play with them for years.  I was going to say, little knitted or crocheted tea bags are cute, cakes, buns and sandwiches too.  DS has a couple of crocheted fried eggs and a bunch of sandwiches, he adores them.
How yummy do these look
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HABA-Biofino-Petit-Fours-Set/dp/B001AR0VUG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_h_b_cs_1

Offline weaver

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 10:22:41 am »
I was going to say, little knitted or crocheted tea bags are cute, cakes, buns and sandwiches too.  DS has a couple of crocheted fried eggs and a bunch of sandwiches, he adores them.
Did you buy them?  Don't tell me you made them I will die of inadequacy  :P

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 11:57:12 am »
DS has fried eggs, sandwiches and one 'cake' which is barely a cake, sort of a pin wheel danish pastry type thing, it needs a bit of imagination ;)
No I didn't make them but Nana did. Honestly they are so simple I could have made them, they are not complex like the really cute cakes.
The eggs are just crocheted rounds in white with the centre in yellow and crocheted into the white to hold it together and then go around a couple of layers to make it thicker for the yolk. Really easy.
The sandwiches are super easy too, Nana used an off white sort of colour for the bread, just knitted a square/rectangle then folded it in half to make a triangle and trapped a few colours into the 'open' edge like green for lettuce and orange/pink for, well whatever, ham, salmon, cheese whatever.  They do look very effective but so easy to make.  I like that they do not come apart too.
They are a bit like this although not quite as good (these are pretty inexpensive too if you wanted to buy!)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hand-Knitted-Play-Food-Sandwiches-/141124278404
Oh I just saw these too, they are beautiful!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAND-KNITTED-TOY-FOOD-12-x-ASSORTED-CAKES-AND-COOKIES-DIET-/281213280336?pt=UK_Crafts_Knitting_Crochet_EH&hash=item41799e2050

We don't have teabags but i do think they would be easy, a crocheted or knitted rectangle folded in half, sewn up the sides, stuff a bit of dark wool inside for the tea leaves then sew up the hole. string and little tag on the end.  I might ask Nana to make some actually.  The skills aren't hard but you do need the needles wool and time to do it :)

On the down side Nana also made a whole bunch of 'noodles' and 'stir fry' - I was seriously unimpressed.  None of it looked like anything, ok I know kids need to use their imagination but these required a LOT of imagination and really it was just a mass of stringy stuff that scattered across the floor in seconds and took a long time to clear up at the end of the day.  We kept them out long enough for everyone to know they'd been played with then did a toy rotation to switch his kitchen toys around, and sort of rotated the stir fry into the bin - oops.  No one has noticed  :P