Author Topic: Throws the spoon and I offer 4-5 different options for each meal  (Read 2865 times)

Offline Joy-filled

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
Throws the spoon and I offer 4-5 different options for each meal
« on: November 27, 2013, 03:46:14 am »
My DS has fed himself with a spoon (once I load it with food) for a number of months now.  However, for the past month he has started to take the spoon when I hand it to him, put the food in his mouth and immediately chuck the spoon to the floor.  Each time I calmly say, "Aaron, you give mommy the spoon.  Not on the floor.  Give the spoon to mommy like this"  and I motion him handing the spoon to me so he knows what I mean.  Very occasionally he will hand it to me after he feeds himself instead of throwing it on the floor.  When this happens, I make a huge deal of it, smile and say "Thank you!" which makes him very proud and clap for himself.  However, 99% of the time, he will just keep chucking the spoon on the floor as soon as he has put the food in his mouth.  After 3-5 times of this I say "you've lost your chance to use the spoon yourself" and he then has to feed himself using his hands as most of the food we give him can either be spoon fed or finger fed.  If it can't be finger fed, then I just switch to food that he can feed himself with his hands.  After 5 min I may try the spoon again but the same thing happens again. 

So, I'm not sure what to do.  Continue doing what I'm doing? 

Also, he is generally a good eater, however he tends to get tired of foods quickly or some foods he just refuses to eat so I usually have to have 4-5 different options available at each meal as I know he's hungry but he's just refusing the food because he doesn't like it or doesn't feel like eating that certain food that day.  However, I'm wondering if by having options, am I just teaching him he can say "no" to foods I give him and eventually get what he wants?  Am I teaching him to be picky?
**Char**

<a href="http://lilypie.com/">

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Throws the spoon and I offer 4-5 different options for each meal
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 05:08:26 am »
Honestly he is still REALLY young, as long as he is getting some chances to use the spoon, you can be pretty sure that you won't be having the issue when he is 6yo, so I'd just give it a chance for a set period of time & do what ever feels best in terms of him getting a meal & not being too challenging.
Probably what I'd do would be feed 2-3 mouthfuls with me doing it, & then let him work it out himself if he can use his hands & the spoon is there, once he drops it, leave it & go onto the next meal again.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 06:19:08 am »
Can you just put some food on the tray in front of him (just a little bit not the whole meal) and let him feed himself with his hands?

Offline Joy-filled

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 12:35:13 pm »
Katet - Yes, I figured since he is so young it isn't such a big deal that he doesn't get as much practice with the spoon.  He's fabulous with it anyway so I figure it doesn't matter if we have to give up the spoon and he eats with his hands.

Anna - I do have some food in front of him for him use with his hands (not the whole meal).  He likes using the spoon, though, and I like to give him the practice so that's why I was offering the spoon as well as the chance to feed with his hands.  But I don't like picking the spoon up over and over. 

Any thoughts on offering 4-5 options per meal?  Am I breeding a picky eater by giving options?

**Char**

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 12:58:29 pm »
I'd think it would be easy enough to go down that route. In the spirit of 'start as you mean to go on' I would just offer one balanced meal, plus fruit and/or unsweetened yoghurt for dessert, and let him eat or not eat.

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 15:03:55 pm »
Give him a spoon and you have a spoon. Once he drops his spoon, that's it, you feed him with your spoon (which he doesn't get given to hold).

If he complains then you say "You threw your spoon on the floor, so you must want it on the floor. This is my spoon, and I'm holding on to it"

I also wouldn't keep going back to the kitchen for alternatives - you are not a waitress and it is not a restaurant  ;)

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 16:17:03 pm »
Hi my LO is 18 months and likes to throw his spoon and I do like pp once his spoon is gone that's it! I found having some finger food at every meal helpful. Also I would only offer 1 meal and if it gets refused I only offer a healthy alternative like fruit as the pudding. I find too much choice can put my LO off.
Zoe

Offline Joy-filled

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 17:08:46 pm »
Since he's always been such a poor sleeper I gave options because I knew he was still hungry and I was afraid that if he doesn't eat he'd wake up from his nap or early in the morning from hunger .  Should I not worry about this at his age?
**Char**

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 17:40:26 pm »
I would not worry about hunger waking at this stage. It would be very unlikely.

I would not offer alternatives. IME it can lead to a lot of picky eating later on. I would just offer a meal of a few things and if he eats he eats!

Offline Joy-filled

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 17:59:08 pm »
Alright, from now on I'll offer no more than 2 main course options with veggies and fruit on the side.  I had a feeling I was starting to create a problem and now that he's sleeping so much better I think it's time to stop being a waitress and giving him different options from the menu  ;), especially if I don't need to worry anymore that he'll wake up hungry.

Thanks for the input!
**Char**

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 19:25:19 pm »
I wouldn't worry about hunger either....some days my LO eats like an adult and other days like a sparrow! We've just had a growth spurt and it made me think he's going to cost me a fortune as a teenager he was hungry all day but never woke at night hungry just wanted food the min we got anywhere near the kitchen in the morning lol!
I honestly think its best not to fuss too much and I always ask are you finished and shall we clean our hands if he's not bothered about food just take it away.
Zoe

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 08:12:08 am »
I absolutely wouldn't offer all that choice.  Fair enough to offer a main dish with a few different types of veggies but there is no plan B in my house! 

My son was starting to feed himself with a spoon around this age but preferred finger foods because he could control it better.  I sometimes just used to give him another spoon so he could continue.  Sometimes he threw the spoon in frustration so me getting frustrated didn't make things better!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Joy-filled

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 21:42:53 pm »
Thanks for the input!  I've been limiting it to 1 main dish with a few veggies and things have been much better.  I've realized he can still nap and make it through the night without waking hungry so it isn't a big deal if he has a smaller lunch or supper.  I hadn't realize at his age that he won't wake from hunger so it was really helpful to receive that feedback so now I don't worry about it anymore. 

Also, the spoon throwing has also improved dramatically so thanks for the great advice ladies!
**Char**

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 22:16:39 pm »
Am so glad. It is so hard not to worry they'll wake from hunger!!!!! But they rarely rarely do!!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 17:19:27 pm »
Yay!  Glad to hear things are improving.  It is important to remember that he will push boundaries but ultimately you are in charge!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/