Author Topic: Allergy testing - what to expect?  (Read 1908 times)

Offline grace annes mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
« on: November 27, 2013, 11:50:19 am »
I have an appt for DD with an allergist in a couple weeks.  The receptionist said the appt. will take at least 2 hours and to bring snacks and toys to occupy her.

What will it be like?

My sensitive girl is going to hate every second of it.  What are the skin pricks like?  Will she need to be still for a period of time?  Just trying to plan what types of things to bring for her and how to prepare her.

TIA!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Allergy testing - what to expect?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 21:44:06 pm »
Do you know how many pricks they will do and where? Ie back vs arm.  Spencer had them done on her arm but only 3 - the control, eggs and dairy.  Was done in a matter of seconds but she was only two so was very upset, at her age now it would be better. Just fyi sometimes you can get false positives (our allergist will only test for things she has eaten and had a rxn too to rule that out).

It was mostly a boring appt...and showed negative results so we did blood tests too, also negative! We had to make sure she did not have any antihistamines in her system for a week or so before or it could skew the results.
Heidi

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 22:29:22 pm »
Agree with Heidi that if it is just testing for a few things it is really quick. Reactions don't take long to appear. If she is having a whole hosts of tests would prob take much longer x

Offline CCCmom27

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 02:35:38 am »
When G was tested it was on his back...that may be because he was only 18 months at the time and they wanted to be sure he couldn't touch them  ???  The doctor we saw wanted to talk about why I wanted him tested quite a bit, etc but I don't think we were there 2 hours.

Offline potlaura

• Showing Appreciation 168
  • mum of three fabulous boys from n.ireland
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 07:13:09 am »
With Euan it was a Loy of history taking as pp said - a lot of recounting right back from birth they weighed him etc and then we waited on the consultant we went through everything again in detail and he decided to skin prick his arm

So a nurse did this at the speed of lightening and he barely noticed - no pain or anything just wondered what the heck she was doing - his results where instant although I knew they would be and they watched him for ten mins and then we seen the dietitican to go over our feeding plan etc

It was a long appointment but we where happy because everything was done there and then and we were armed with all our information when we left - hope it all goes smoothly for you  :)
Jack 31.12.98
Tom 06.09.06
Euan 28.12.2011