Author Topic: Implementing EASY with Failure to Thrive  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Navan

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 30, 2013, 21:46:37 pm »
Hi All, I'm a new Mama and my son L is 2 weeks old. He was labelled failure to thrive (quite prematurely I think- he hadn't regained his birth weight by 10 days out but he hadn't lost any extra after leaving the hospital- he just hadn't gained.) It was determined I wasn't producing enough breast milk so I'm now on domperidone which seems to be working and he's now slowly gaining.

Anyways- because he wasn't gaining I was told to breastfeed on demand to stimulate my supply. Not only did this not seem to work- we're now in this place of only the breast will soothe him and I can't put him down when he's asleep. Not good! That story in the accidental parenting section of BW with the child with "colic"- that's my son. Only he's two weeks old, not five months.

So I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that by putting him on EASY things will get better. I'm pretty sure part of the issue we're having with weight is that he's getting to much fore milk and not enough hind milk, and I'm hoping getting him out of the snacking cycle will help with that.

Also wondering- L goes from zero to sixty when he starts to cry. There's very little "hey I'm upset" crying and goes almost straight to "omg the world is ending and I'm being beaten to death with a bag of rocks" crying. What's the best way to settle him without the boob?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Implementing EASY with Failure to Thrive
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 02:56:46 am »
Will he take a soother at all? I know some say not to give it until supply is well established, but we did it early anyways. At his age EASY is not much more than a quick cuddle and diaper change after a feed and then on to the nap...at that age I would place more emphasis on getting the routine established and getting good naps in and then tackle the self soothing when he is a bit older (of course I usually tried to lay them down for a nap and see if they settled before using ap!). Is he swaddled for sleeps? White noise?
Heidi

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 05:08:19 am »
I'm pretty sure part of the issue we're having with weight is that he's getting to much fore milk and not enough hind milk, and I'm hoping getting him out of the snacking cycle will help with that.
Hi :)
I had a similar issue with L when he was this young - he didn't gain weight well for the first 6 weeks. I had oversupply and overactive letdown and he was getting too much foremilk. He was in too much pain to sleep well. He was wanting to feed to help move the gas along his bowels and the frequent feeding was making everything worse.
Docs told me I had insufficient supply because L wasn't put on weight but I had too much. All the things I did to make more milk made it worse too.
It may be worth reading around about OS/OALD and just checking that's not your issue.

Hugs xx Either way, BF can get better.

Offline Navan

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 11:12:11 am »
Will he take a soother at all? I know some say not to give it until supply is well established, but we did it early anyways. At his age EASY is not much more than a quick cuddle and diaper change after a feed and then on to the nap...at that age I would place more emphasis on getting the routine established and getting good naps in and then tackle the self soothing when he is a bit older (of course I usually tried to lay them down for a nap and see if they settled before using ap!). Is he swaddled for sleeps? White noise?

He's starting to take a soother. If it's warm and wet he sucks it right in. The quick cuddle and change and onto nap is definitely how it's going right now- he gets so upset during changes usually so there's a lot of coaxing to take the suce and settling him going on before I can put him down- but we're getting there. Putting him in his (off) Mamaroo swing seems to help cause laying him flat gets him re fluxing and then he's impossible to calm. Definitely white noise and swaddled in a miracle blanket since that's the only thing he can't escape from.

Offline Navan

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 11:19:57 am »
I'm pretty sure part of the issue we're having with weight is that he's getting to much fore milk and not enough hind milk, and I'm hoping getting him out of the snacking cycle will help with that.
Hi :)
I had a similar issue with L when he was this young - he didn't gain weight well for the first 6 weeks. I had oversupply and overactive letdown and he was getting too much foremilk. He was in too much pain to sleep well. He was wanting to feed to help move the gas along his bowels and the frequent feeding was making everything worse.
Docs told me I had insufficient supply because L wasn't put on weight but I had too much. All the things I did to make more milk made it worse too.
It may be worth reading around about OS/OALD and just checking that's not your issue.

Hugs xx Either way, BF can get better.

I'm pretty sure it's under supply- especially in my left. I don't get engorged or leak and he fusses if there's no let down (vs. my right which he eats much better at.) Since I started the domperidone he's gained an ounce a day so things are improving slowly- it's just created a bit of a mess for us overall. I'm trying to get his daytime sleep figured out first and then start tackling nighttime- but he just gave me two three hour stretches so hopefully we're seeing fallout already?

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 14:48:01 pm »
If he is most comfortable in the swing have you tried elevating his cot/crib/bassinet?

Sounds like things are heading in the right direction!
Heidi

Offline Navan

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 16:39:19 pm »
If he is most comfortable in the swing have you tried elevating his cot/crib/bassinet?

Sounds like things are heading in the right direction!

I have- but swaddled he just rolls down the incline. He's going to be an early roller I swear- he's already almost made it a few times.

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 17:37:41 pm »
Lol! I have read on here that other ladies have rolled up towels and made a U shape uner the fitted sheet to prevent sliding around!
Heidi

Offline Navan

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 20:07:10 pm »
Oh my god- I managed to not only catch the sleepy signs, but put him down for a nap while he was awake without any crying! He needed his suce (kiddo has the most fierce sucking reflex I've ever seen- but we'll tackle the suce later. One thing at a time.) and he's in his swing (still on off- we'll work on the bassinet once he stops gagging on reflux when he's flat.) AND it's been over an hour!

If I can do this again I'm going to feel so much better about my mom leaving tomorrow.

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 20:19:17 pm »
Woohoo! So nice when that happens (says the one currently holding her sleeping 3 month old...had a pre nap freak out here!).
Heidi

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 10:39:28 am »
Sounds like things are looking up :)