Author Topic: Weaning from the bottle?  (Read 4773 times)

Offline mtemte

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Weaning from the bottle?
« on: December 04, 2013, 12:46:42 pm »
My LO has just turned 1 year old and I am hearing all around me that I need to wean her from the bottle...?

Do you agree? I am considering trying to introduce cows milk in the next week or so by gradually adding some to her bottles over a few weeks but then again, due to the fact that she does not eat very much solids during the day, I am concerned that she will not get the nutrients she needs if I take her off formula completely?

Also, transition from bottle to sippy cup? All at once sounds like a lot of change at once? I also posted another thread about getting rid of a night feed just beforehand.... Any advice please from those of you who have BTDT?

Thanks so much!

Offline Emami

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: Weaning from the bottle?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 12:54:15 pm »
When I weaned DD off formula it was right around her first birthday and I did as you described by adding some milk to her bottles until it was switched.  That was over about a week and she was fine with it.  As for the bottles, I think the main concern is that the milk is distributed differently in their mouths than with a cup (not sure though), and it's not recommended to keep up with bottles for the sake of their teeth.  If you aren't giving her milk right before bed and are brushing her teeth afterwards though I don't think it's a problem, plenty of LOs have bottles after 12 months.  Mine did until about 17months when she suddenly decided that milk in a cup was acceptable!  She had previously refused it despite drinking water from a cup for ages
Emma

Offline mtemte

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Weaning from the bottle?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 13:13:00 pm »
Tnx Emami - she does have a bottle before she goes to bed.... maybe I should try giving the bottle, brushing her teeth, storytime and then bed? Then at least her teeth arent at risk.... The bottle makes her sleepy though  :-\