Author Topic: bottle nipples/teats when breastfeeding too  (Read 2207 times)

Offline RebekahDSC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
bottle nipples/teats when breastfeeding too
« on: November 22, 2013, 19:51:04 pm »
Hi! We are expecting our second LO in about 8 weeks and we need some help with picking the right kind of bottles and nipples. I'm planning to breastfeed during the day but DH will give baby bottles at night. We're pretty new to the bottle world as we hardly used them with LO #1 so I'm not really even sure where to start. Since baby will be nursing the majority of the time I'd like to get nipples that match my breasts as closely as possible. But how on earth do you know what kind of nipples match your breasts? :P And I'd definitely like a slower flow for the same reason. I know I read something from Tracy on haberman feeders. Does anyone know if they have those in the United States? Any other ideas for bottle types or nipple types for a baby who will be both breastfed and bottle fed? Thanks so much!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 19:59:22 pm by RebekahDSC »

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: bottle nipples/teats when breastfeeding too
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 21:19:55 pm »
We used a haberman and it worked ok, but was very messy! I'm not sure it is totally necessary either unless you find that baby refuses other bottles.

I had a lot of friends go through many types of teat and bottle trying to find the right one, it seems to be trial and error.

Having said that, perseverance is more the key. If I could do it all again I would have given DS a bottle every day, even if that meant it was formula. I was trying to pump, take care of him and also look after our two horses, and I couldn't manage to pump daily. He ended up refusing because I didn't offer it often enough, and I felt very trapped by bf in the end (mainly because I hated feeding in public).
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 08:33:05 am »
The tommee tippee closer to nature bottles are good, they are available in the US http://www.tommeetippee.us/department/baby-bottles/

We had some of the breastflow bottles which are supposed to mimic breast feeding because they have to work hard to get the milk out.

http://www.target.com/p/the-first-years-breastflow-bottles-5oz-3pk/-/A-12873546

We used the TT ones the most, the vari-flow teat is one of the better ones, baby controls the flow by how hard they suck and they don't have a constant drip like most bottle teats do.

I did like the breast flow for the couple of weeks I managed to pump for but we had a really embarrassing incident with those! The midwife came to check us when DD was a few days old. I had just started feeding her when she arrived so she said to carry on, 10 mins later DD was frantically sucking but the milk was not going down - I then checked the bottle there was a lump of fat from the breastmilk she was having blocking the teat. The poor child wasn't getting anything! ::) ::)

Laura

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 18:11:58 pm »
We have had success this time around with Dr Brown's...not that she is really into the bottle but she was most agreeable to these if DH or DD1 fed her! I actually went with a faster flow nipple as I have OALD and she is used to a good stream, I did try the newborn one first but she hated it.
Heidi

Offline RebekahDSC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 20:33:18 pm »
Thanks so much, Ladies! Your answers are really helpful!

The tommee tippee closer to nature bottles are good, they are available in the US http://www.tommeetippee.us/department/baby-bottles/

We had some of the breastflow bottles which are supposed to mimic breast feeding because they have to work hard to get the milk out.

http://www.target.com/p/the-first-years-breastflow-bottles-5oz-3pk/-/A-12873546

We used the TT ones the most, the vari-flow teat is one of the better ones, baby controls the flow by how hard they suck and they don't have a constant drip like most bottle teats do.

I did like the breast flow for the couple of weeks I managed to pump for but we had a really embarrassing incident with those! The midwife came to check us when DD was a few days old. I had just started feeding her when she arrived so she said to carry on, 10 mins later DD was frantically sucking but the milk was not going down - I then checked the bottle there was a lump of fat from the breastmilk she was having blocking the teat. The poor child wasn't getting anything! ::) ::)

Laura

Oh no! Ha ha!

Do the Tommee Tippee bottles automatically come with a vari-flow teat or do you have to order those special?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 20:43:02 pm »
No, the bottles tend to come with a stage 1 teat so you need to buy the vari-flows separately!

Laura

Offline RebekahDSC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 19:34:42 pm »
Okay, thanks so much, Laura!