Author Topic: addicted to nuts!  (Read 7540 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
addicted to nuts!
« on: December 07, 2013, 12:27:53 pm »
M wants peanut butter on everything! She likes peanut butter and jam on her toast and will ask for it for lunch every single day. I buy the organic crunchy one but still....is it ok?

I am a bit worried as she gets these awful coughs and i know nuts are best avoided if any asthma...no asthma in the family though.

I have substituted peanut butter for almond butter which she does not like as much but will eat...

any thoughts?

If I try to do another filling i.e. cheese or ham she won't eat it.

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 13:23:45 pm »
I know peanut butter is not common in the UK but there are millions and millions (throw in another couple of million) of Canadian and American kids who eat peanut butter  (with or without jam) every day and I am pretty sure no one bats an eye. It is pretty healthy if you don't have a high sugar version. What is it you are concerned sbout, the sameness or that it is PB ?

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
Re: addicted to nuts!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 13:31:29 pm »
X only eats peanut butter sandwiches too - no other filling - and I'm actually quite glad that he will eat something as healthy as peanut butter. We have one with no sugar in it so actually I think it is pretty good for him. I have never heard that you should avoid nuts if you have asthma. ??? I know that they advise that you are careful with introducing nuts if there is asthma in the family, but that is just because the risk of allergies is higher: if she is already eating it without ill effects then she isn't allergic to it so you don't need to worry about that.

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 13:39:49 pm »
Sorry I missed the part about the cough. I agree with Clare - if the is not allergic to nuts, and they aren't what is causing her to cough then I wouldn't worry.   If she has allergic tendancies then with everything you sort of go slowly but the sad reality of allergies is that anyone can become allergic to any thing at any time. Of course more allergic people are more likely to, but even non-allergic people can, it is just a risk of life that we can't really eliminate kwim?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 14:30:05 pm by Mashi »

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 14:08:32 pm »
When Oscar was this age, he was eating PB around 2 jars a week. I was so happy he would as he was very picky. Now he won't touch the stuff...but will have ham, cheese, tomato, pickle...on a sandwich!

S x

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 06:19:47 am »
My health visitor said not to worry about nuts and asthma / eczema.  My son has been having peanut butter since he was 1 year old.  Now he has a thing for lemon curd.  I wish he were back on the peanut butter to be honest!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 07:50:34 am »
My kid eats pb and honey every single day since he was 1.5! Have you tried honey with it? It helps a bit with cough. Also Manuka honey. Some friends swear by it and give her kids small spoonful as preventive medicine in this season!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 08:05:56 am »
I'm always a bit sus with Manuka honey.  I think honey whatever kind will probably have some good properties but the amount of Manuka honey sold as such IN THE UK ONLY exceeded all of the production of Manuka honey.  So it's blatant fraud somewhere!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 10:11:50 am »
Now he has a thing for lemon curd.
Takes me back to days in my Nana's house. Was always my treat at her's!

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 10:17:48 am »
Hamish is also a peanut butter nut! Has it every day with chicken and bananna on a gluten free bread sandwich (nanny day care... the home of odd combinations)... he has even tried to convince us that she lets him eat the peanut butter out of the jar!! 'Stick my finger in! Like at nanny's!!' hmm- a likely story!

Again- we have the no added sugar and salt version for day to day.
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline twogirlsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • aka Brennasmommy
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 13:02:50 pm »
dd1 eats peanut butter at least  once a day EVERY DAY.  Whether its a sandwich on celery with raisins, to dip apples in, on crackers etc... the list could go on and on.

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 19:07:52 pm »
yes, I guess it is the peanut butter and jam I am more concerned about. I do buy the low sugar, high fruit one but still. It could be worse though and she is a pretty good eater generally...

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!