Author Topic: Need help to tackle 3.5yo eating issues  (Read 2513 times)

Offline Aishi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 105
« on: December 07, 2013, 19:52:40 pm »
Ds was diagnosed with CMPI after a long struggle quite late at 8 mo. He has been on soya milk since then and we have unsuccessfully trialled cows milk a few times :( :( As a result we ended up with lots of bad habits ...still.drinking milk in a bottle, eating cereal wo milk, wont touch custard, yoghurts or rice pudding which makes me wary of stopping bottle cold turkey if he wont drink from a cup.

My plan is to talk to him about bottle fairy needing bottles for poorly babies and encourage him to take a sip from cup every day and build up like that until i think CT will work. And to only offer cereal with milk and leave it up to him whether he eats it or not. Fruit and snack at usual time if he doesnt have cereal?

same one bite approach for custards, yoghurts etc.

Wdyt could this work? would you offer reward for any success even if its chocolate on a daily basis?!

Guess i just need reassurance. Its hard to let go of the control and leave it up to ds...

Tia ladies xx
aishi :)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Need help to tackle 3.5yo eating issues
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 20:53:00 pm »
DD2 has been on soy milk for ages...but we dont rely on it for her calcium needs, we give a separate supplement for that and then make sure her diet is as varied as it can be. She actually never had milk on cereal until recently.

I would be really hesitant to set up a food reward for eating...I am more of the mind to offer them good food and let them control the eating of it.
Heidi

Offline Aishi

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 20:59:46 pm »
Hmmm think i agree with not using food as a reward...i.could try stickers...

I just want him eating normally so its not a battle....im worried dd is going to notice and will want to copy him...

Thanks for replying!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 21:11:04 pm »
What does he eat currently?
Heidi

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 21:58:08 pm »
He won't eat soy yoghurt/custard? How is the rest of his diet? If he eats a good diet I wouldn't be too fussed if he doesn't like milky things tbh. It is only natural to be wary when there is an allergy/intolerance involved. Olly is the same. I have only just got him to like soy ice cream  ::)

Offline Aishi

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 22:12:23 pm »
Thanks.BB think his diet is ok but nope no soya products either...he did when we first went on.soya but after a tummy bug he became intolerant to.soya too and hasnt tried those since :(

ok so his diet:

breakfast: cheerios wo milk, brown bread toast, fruit
Snacks fruit and/ or crackers
Lunch: curry(any meat, occasionally lentils, chickpeas) with chapatti or quinoa/bulgar wheat/ couscous/brown rice/barley
snacks fruit and/ or nuts.or breadsticks/ ricecakes etc
Dinner: pasta (once a week) or fish fingers or scampi with potato waffles or chips etc

He has lots of fruit but doesnt have much veg: only peas and sweetcorn, sometimes carrots
Sometimes beans with dinner
Egg only as french toast

Milk in bottle 8-14oz but its his main source of calcium...written out like that his diet does seem ok but im worried about amount of dairy especially if i stop bottle and he refuses it out of a cup...

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 22:50:04 pm »
So he is still on soy milk? I would start offering soy yoghurt, custard, ice cream then. May everyone have them as their puddings so you are all having the same? they are really nice anyway  :)

Olly loves soy cheese too  :P

His diet looks great. Much like Olly's TBH. He won't have milk on his cereal. In fact he wouldn't eat cereal full stop until the last few months but I found a GF chocolate stars one he will eat. I do insist he has a cup of milk with it though. I try not to be fussed that he won't have it on the cereal!

No advice on getting rid of the bottle sorry.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 06:13:28 am »
What about other sources of calcium?  Like tinned salmon, mush it up and mix into fishcakes?

Actually apart from the dairy or soy, his diet isn't bad.  Green vegetables are also a source of calcium.  You could put spinach into the curry or pasta?  Have you tried tofu?  You could make something similar to mutter paneer but with tofu instead?
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Aishi

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 13:22:40 pm »
His diet does seem.ok except for dairy...i did try hiding spinach in pasta but he wouldnt eat it...i.could try in curry...maybe better hidden there

Tofu he will only eat if i fry it till crispy...that cant be good weekly can it?

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 06:26:30 am »
To be honest, if you're frying in oil not saturated fat, why not?  Kids need calories.  A healthy diet for an adult isn't necessarily a healthy diet for a child.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Aishi

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 07:58:17 am »
Thats good to know! I use veg oil but could i make it healthier using a diff type of oil?  any ideas?

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 20:35:02 pm »
Hey veg oil is fine.  Things like rapeseed oil and sunflower oil are pretty high in monounsaturates.  Also remember tofu is naturally very low in fat compared with meat.