Author Topic: Milk / dairy needs after 1  (Read 5834 times)

Offline violagal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Milk / dairy needs after 1
« on: December 07, 2013, 21:31:06 pm »
Hi all,
I am wondering what happens to milk requirements in the second year? I know that at a year it is supposed to be around 12-15oz a day - does this go down again at 18 months or 2 years?
My DS is 14.5 months and has two bottles of cows milk, 5oz at WU and 8oz at BT. Plus 4oz milk in his porridge and a 4oz yoghurt so in total he has quite a lot! He eats very well at mealtimes generally but am wanting to try and wean off bottles onto sippy cup at some point soon and from what I've read on here most toddlers seem to drop the amount quite a lot so just want to check if that would be ok - for example I'm thinking I might just wean the BT bottle totally first and then switch to sippy cup for breakfast as he's generally more amenable at that time of day!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Milk / dairy needs after 1
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 22:28:39 pm »
The NHS site says that children from 1-3 years need 350mg of calcium which is equivalent to 300ml/ half a pint of milk a day. It says that full fat should be given until 2 at least and then can be swapped to semi-skimmed if they are eating a varied diet.

If they are getting other calcium rich foods then the calcium doesn't have to come from liquid milk.

HTH!

Laura

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 06:14:17 am »
Blimey is that all?  My son probably has that much at breakfast!  But then he is a bit of a chubster with his eating sometimes.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Lolly

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 08:36:30 am »
I thought it was more than that too - maybe it's part of the NHS fight against childhood obesity :o

Laura

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 11:32:21 am »
Possibly.  I've not had my son weighed since he was 2 but he was tracking around the 60th centile since birth and was still on it then.  He is funny though, you can see his growth spurts, he chubs and chubs and chubs then overnight grows a few cm and gets skinny!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline violagal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 19:14:24 pm »
Gosh that isn't a lot at all! DS is getting over double that. Time to start reducing the milk then I guess? He's not overweight at all if anything has got a little on lean side since walking everywhere.

Offline Lolly

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 19:16:47 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much really - if he is eating well then having more than the minimum recs is fine. At least you can work on dropping one bottle at a time and know he is still getting enough!

Laura

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 00:05:36 am »
I'm thinking I might just wean the BT bottle totally first and then switch to sippy cup for breakfast as he's generally more amenable at that time of day!
Go for it!  I introduced a supper time solid snack with a small sippy of milk and weaned the BT bottle tear free in less than 2 wks.  As Laura said you have no worries about the amount of milk he gets so there is no worry other than the change to his routine but even if you wean slowly it goes quickly.  I gave the supper and milk, then at BT reduce the bottle by an oz, took a second bottle up with just water in, so if he drained the milk there would be something else to offer. He never did drain the milk. Couple of nights later reduce by another oz.  If he ever drinks less than the full bottle note the amount and only offer than much the following night.  By the time the milk has gone offer just water in a bottle, then water in a sippy.  Mine still has a little water from a sippy just before bed after brushing his teeth.  We still sit and cuddle before bed so there is no loss of bonding time and snuggles.
It will be easier than you think.

Offline violagal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 22:14:40 pm »
Thanks Creations that sounds like a plan. The last few days we have started moving post-dinner yoghurt and banana to a bit later and that has actually got him drinking less milk of his own accord if only by an oz or two so will start just reducing the offering and see where we get to

Offline BeeAnn

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 19:42:26 pm »
Just came on here to post the exact same question as my LO has just turned 1, so forgive me for jumping in.  She is currently drinking 200ml at WU and 260ml at BT which I am thinking is now way too much!! 

creations - can I ask what bedtime snack you offered? 

She will shortly be going to nursery and her meal times are going to be quite different to what they are now, they will be:

Breakfast around 8.30am
Lunch at 11.30am
Light meal at 3.30pm

Then I assume I would feed her again around half five or six and then do milk just before bedtime?  Her bedtime is usually 7pm so perhaps she won't need a snack then too if she has eaten not long before that?

Would I carry on offering some milk at WU but less than she has now? 

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 22:18:59 pm »
I did something like a pancake or piece of toast, cracker, bread stick, along with a sippy cup of milk which he didn't take much off.  It wasn't a long gap after the evening meal (sometimes as meal times changed and BT changed it was directly after eve meal and shocking he could be full from dinner then still take his supper snack!).
I did it to drop the BT bottle, I kept the full morning milk as his big milk drink of the day as they do still need half a pint (300ml) so in your case I would not reduce the WU milk, just drop the BT bottle.  The morning milk plus dairy through the day plus a sippy of milk at supper time should have the dairy needs covered. It would be ok for the morning to increase a bit too if she wanted it.

If you'd like more info this thread covers lots
morning bottle still needed?
You could just scroll through to see where I've detailed exactly what I did to drop the BT bottle.
I must say though, it's totally up to you where you drop milk, many people like to keep the BT bottle and drop the morning milk. I've put some of my reasons for dropping the BT milk in that link above.  Hope this helps. Do ask again if you need anything more info x

Offline BeeAnn

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 20:11:05 pm »
Violagal - have you switched the morning milk to a sippy cup yet?  I did this two days ago and she used to drink 200ml from her bottle (everything I offered) but has only drunk about 70ml from the cup - and that is a real struggle to get her to actually sit still and drink it. 

Creations - do you know if this is usual and if her milk consumption will go back up when she is more used to the cup??  I have offered her the milk with her breakfast again too but she only drinks another 20ml or so.  I am worried about changing the evening bottle as if she doesn't drink much of that she might not have enough milk in the day!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 21:04:16 pm »
In my own experience and what I gather from reading threads it is totally normal for milk to drop when you switch to a cup from a bottle.  I think that's why some people choose to keep a bottle each day to keep the milk up, it does depend how much your LO is taking, for some it doesn't matter if the milk drops as they are getting more than enough, for others they need the milk not to drop too much.  For my DS I worked out he would just about have his needs met with the smaller milk in the evening (sippy at supper time and cut the BT bottle) plus dairy solids (cheese), but that I needed his morning milk to stay up. DS appeared to know this himself because cutting the BT bottle was easy but switching the morning bottle to a cup was 'impossible'.  For a couple of weeks I experimented with slit teats and sitting up straight (on my knee) for the morning bottle, tried a few times to switch it to a straw in a bottle which he didn't go for, then a couple of weeks later he accepted.  I couldn't switch to a sippy cup as his milk would have dropped too much, with the straw he drank his full amount.  BT bottle was ditched at 12 months, morning bottle switched to straw at 13 months.
Now, almost 2years on he has morning milk in a sippy cup (funny as all other drinks are in an open cup, but morning milk appears to have some comfort level in addition to calories) and he takes a full cup sometimes asking for more.  So in time the level of drinking from a sippy *can* increase but maybe not as early as you need it to.  He no longer has supper milk.

I personally wouldn't switch both bottles unless you find a way she will take a decent amount, maybe a straw?  I used disposable straws (the fattish ones) as I didn't trust them to be 100% clean after milk being in them, so just rinsed them out and saved them for the crafts box.
hth

Offline BeeAnn

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 21:29:17 pm »
Thanks creations.  Interestingly she used to drink her water from a straw cup until about a week ago when the Health Visitor said that she had to use a spout cup in order to learn to sip.  So maybe she can have a her milk from a straw cup if she takes a little more from that.  having said that when we switched her 11am bottle to a straw cup she took so little that I just got rid of the bottle altogether!  think I will keep things as they are for a week at least and see what happens.  Will keep you posted!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 21:39:49 pm »
Yeah, I think it probably is important that they begin to learn to use the sippy or open cup for drinks but I don't see harm in one drink (esp milk) being in something 'younger' it's not the same as a LO sucking on a bottle the whole day.

Just a reminder that teeth should really be brushed after that evening bottle, don't know if you are or aren't. My DS's were being brushed pre bottle and BT meaning milk was on his teeth all night, not ideal at all. That's one of the (various) reasons I cut the BT bottle rather than morning bottle.