Author Topic: Milk / dairy needs after 1  (Read 5835 times)

Offline Alexian28

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: Milk / dairy needs after 1
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 15:18:21 pm »
Why in the world is the recommendation for calcium 700mg in the U.S. and 350mg in the UK?  Maybe one is the recommended and the other is the adequate allowance?
3 year old DD with special needs
DS born 12/11/2015

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 18:34:14 pm »
No idea!

I did notice a difference when looking for info on another post recently. The amount of milk recommended for the 1+ age range has dropped, it used to be a pint but now it's half a pint a day.

Laura

Offline BeeAnn

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 19:30:01 pm »
Alexian28 - the recommendation in the UK is 350ml of milk a day, not 350mg of calcium.  Not sure how much calcium that equates to.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 19:42:17 pm »
It's roughly the same (ish) half a pint is roughly 300ml or roughly 10oz which is roughly 350mg of calcium

I have no idea why the guidance is so dramatically different between USA and UK. I saw an article earlier (hmm, think it was Canadian) asking if too much emphasis was being put on milk rather than overall healthy life style.

Laura - that's interesting - I thought it was roughly 1 pint from 6 months and roughly half pint from 12 months? No?  It used to be more than this did it?

Offline Lolly

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 20:14:03 pm »
Laura - that's interesting - I thought it was roughly 1 pint from 6 months and roughly half pint from 12 months? No?  It used to be more than this did it?

I'm sure it was - I remember when my now 12yo nephew was a toddler it was a pint (although maybe that was just my SIL's understanding :P). My understanding was 12-14oz a day which is more than half a pint from 1 until I looked recently - it's not that much more than half a pint though really!

Laura

Offline Alexian28

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 21:59:22 pm »
Interesting!  I noticed the recommendation for adults in the UK is also half of what it is in the U.S.  (700mg vs 1300 mg)
3 year old DD with special needs
DS born 12/11/2015

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2013, 19:05:39 pm »
My understanding was 12-14oz a day which is more than half a pint from 1 until I looked recently - it's not that much more than half a pint though really!
YK I think they just rounded it all to an easy to remember figure. half pint, 300ml or 10oz. They are all different amounts but as no one really measures how much cheese kids eat along with their milk drink, cheese sauce, white sauce, rice pudding etc etc etc I just assumed that's why it was a rough guidance.
Ha - here's me talking about amounts, mine took less than half a pint of milk between 6 - 12 months no matter what I tried to increase it. I just accepted in the end that he self regulated to his dairy needs.

Offline Lolly

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2013, 19:24:39 pm »
Ha - here's me talking about amounts, mine took less than half a pint of milk between 6 - 12 months no matter what I tried to increase it. I just accepted in the end that he self regulated to his dairy needs.

I gave up measuring stuff a long time ago - all we can do is offer it and hope for the best :P !!

Laura