Author Topic: Multiple NWs  (Read 1373 times)

Offline AMJ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Multiple NWs
« on: December 10, 2013, 05:48:46 am »
Hello,
My DD is 8 months and for the past 2 months is very OT from the short naps and EWUs. She usually wakes 4-3 times a night and most of the time I feed her (also has frequent EWUs which take me 1.5-2 hrs to resettle). I'm just desperate to get her to get as much sleep as possible so I never wanted to waste her time on resettling while she can sleep. That's how I think we got to so many wakings.
If she wakes around 8 pm then DH goes ins and usually is able to resettle her just by walking in and saying "it's ok, you're ok". The usual 2 wakings are around 9-9:30 pm and 11:30-12:30. DH tried to resettle her once at 11:30 and it lasted 1 hr after which he said she must be hungry so I fed her and she fell right asleep. I can't really tell when her cries are hungry even after reviewing differences between cries from the book.

the problem is that I started to shush/pat(i dont' pat just lay my hand on her) her right till she is asleep, so shush/pat became a prop.Yesterday I started to gently remove the shush/pat from her routine which worked for us before and she was able to self sooth. But i think because she is OT it is not working now.

Also I would like to mention that yesterday we started with set naps. So her naps are at 9:00, wake at 10:00 to prevent EWUs, then 1:00 and wake at 3:00, 6/6:30 BT.
I know that this will cause more NWs so I would like to know how to sleep train her and resettle her.
here was our 1st set naps day:

Dec 9 2013

4:35 WU playing the on tummy crying E couldn't burp
5:00 shush/pat in the crib. Twice had a burp
5:45/ 5:50 S

6:23 WU E A(2 hrs 35 mins)
7:30 E squash oatmeal water offered breast but didn't want it
8:45 awake in the crib
9:00 ish S(1 hr 5 mins)

10:05 WU I woke her E A( 3 hrs)
11:00 E avocado pear water offered breast but didn't want it
12:05 E breast
12:45 awake in the crib
1:00 S (1 hr 25/30 mins)
1:05 WU crying shush/pat twice S

2:30 WU E A( 4 hrs 15 mins)
3:45 E oatmeal green peas water
5:20 E
5:40 crib awake, modified shush/pat where I slowly eliminate shushing and my hand on her.
6:10 S
6:15 WU crying then S and then kept waking every few mins with a cry. Very restless wants to sleep but can't. Same thing happens when we travel and she just can't fall asleep even if I shush/pat to S so I feed to S.
6:45 feed to S and hold in my arms
7:20 crib

8:18 WU self soothed

8:55 WU E
9:05 S

10:25 WU whining DH came in said it's ok shush S

11:25 WU DH did the same as above didn't work E
11:38 S

1:15 WU whining then crying. Started. To shush/pat but gave up
1:30 E
1:40 S

4:10 WU crying E
4:20 S

5:35 WU cooing the whining/crying A
5:45 E
6:00 lights on

How can I sleep train her during night wakings( and also naps and BT) to remove the shush/pat prop?

thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 06:50:55 am by AMJ »

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: Multiple NWs
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 23:15:19 pm »
Hi Alla, how are you going?

With shh/pat being a prop - you're probably best to gradually wean her from the prop. So in your case, try reducing how long you're patting her... so if at the moment you're patting her until she's asleep, try patting her less and less and over a week or so aim to pat her until she's getting closer to falling asleep and then over the next week work on patting her until she's calm and then eventually (hopefully) you will be able to lay her down without any patting.

Here is a link to the gradual withdrawal method (which is what you're going to be working on) Gentle Removal Plan

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 19:59:13 pm »
Hi Layla,

thanks for the advice. I tried gently removing the shush/pat at night when she woke up but she just couldn't fall asleep. The same story- she starts to fall asleep and then wakes with a cry and starts moving and crying. She is just so tired. Eventually I shush/patted her to S. I started at 1:07, she fell asleep at 2:20, but it was a light sleep so i shush/patted for 30 more minuted until she was in a deep sleep.
I will try again tonight though.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 09:38:50 am by AMJ »

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 09:41:31 am »
and tonight DH went in to resettle DD at 12;00. TBH he wasn't doing the right way but shushing even when she was calm and once she almost fell asleep but then woke up crying, he spent there 1 hr 40 mins. She kept waking every few minutes after what it looked like she is falling asleep. at 1:40 I fed her and she fell asleep right away. This am she had an early WU again.

It never used to take me this long to resettle her. what's going on?

Offline Layla

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 12:16:02 pm »
What was her daytime sleep like? Do you think she was genuinely hungry?

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 12:23:21 pm »
Yesterday was the first good day with naps

Dec 11 2013

4:50 WU crying E just a bit sleepy so 5:00 shush/pat because I stopped she woke up
5:10 S

6:10 WU E A (2 hrs 45 mins)
7:15 E squash oatmeal water
8:00 E breast
8:55 S(1 hr)

9:55 WU on her own playing E A(3 hrs 5 mins)
11:00 E mango avocado water
12:00 E
1:00 S (1 hr 40 mins)

2:40 WU E A( 3 hrs 35 mins)
4:00 E green beans sweet potato oatmeal water
5:40 E
6:00 crib
6:15 BT

9:42 WU whining
9:50 crying E
9:57 S

10:47 WU self soothed

12:00 WU crying DH tried to resettle for 1 hr 40 mins but kept falling asleep and waking crying every few mins
1:40 E
1:50 S

4:50 WU moving around. I went in to feed to catch her before fully wakes up. E shushing and rocking in a chair while E
5:10 crib shush/pat
5:15 S

6:15 WU E A

I don't think she was hungry because I feed her at 9:50 pm when she woke up. But maybe I'm wrong

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 06:12:56 am »
and today the naps where exactly the same as yesterday but she still woke up at 12:55 am playing. 10 mins later started to cry so I fed her and placed her in the crib at 1:15. I shushed for a minute and she looked sleepy so I left. She almost fell asleep but started to toss and turn and then flipped on tummy and started to cry. so 1:30 shush/pat. She closed her eyes right away but was in a light sleep again. As soon as I stopped shushing or moved she woke up. So i shushed till 2:30  :o :o

then again she was up at 4:50 playing. So I fed her again and shushed and rocked lightly in the hair while E. placed her in the crib. she looked sleepy but as soon as i leave she wakes. So shushed for 30 mins till deep sleep. 6:15 WU.
It's weired because when I shushed her for naps or bed time I only need to do it for 5-10 mins depending on how tired she is but if it's resettling at night it takes way longer.

I was sure that she was going to go back to S right after i fed her, why doesn't she? and why is she still waking up early??

thanks you

Offline Layla

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 02:13:31 am »
Hi Alla,

Sorry I've been away this weekend - how are you going?

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 05:35:34 am »
Hi Layla, no problem at all. Hope you had a great weekend!

We are still struggling. On a day with somewhat ok naps she wakes 3-4 times at night but on the bad nap day it's around 7-8 NWs  :o
I am not able to resettle her at night. She is just so restless. The same story is happening- she closes her eyes and looks like she is falling asleep but then wakes with a cry, and this keeps going on and on. I just feed her and hope that when she gets used to the set naps NWs will change. I'm just worried that she is used to getting a boob to fall back asleep at night.

I also not sure if I should keep going with the set naps. I'll explain it all in General Sleep board.

Thanks for checking up on us!

Offline AliR

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 03:51:26 am »
Hi AMJ,
I'm rather new to this so could be all wrong, butvis there any chance it's wind?  My DD does a similar thing with almost being totally asleep but then crying out and repeat until I get her up and wind her.  I'm guessing you've tried that alread?

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 04:43:51 am »
Hi ALiR, thanks for you reply.

By wind do you mean burp or gas?

Offline Layla

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 08:16:52 am »
Hi Alla, I've posted on your GS thread and will lock this. For anyone who'd like to post and offer advice/support, pls post here Re: Please help, multiple NWs and naps are changing too, Can't do it anymore