Author Topic: 3.5 yo issues with meat (still)  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Bex09

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
3.5 yo issues with meat (still)
« on: December 10, 2013, 10:44:42 am »
I have posted about this before as DD has never really liked meat or been great at eating it. She has always been fine with mince, sausages, gammon, bacon and ham. I have always served her meat and if it gets eaten great, if not no big deal.

Well now it has got worse and DD is flatly refusing to eat any meat, except ham! She can find the tiniest piece of meat in her meal and spit it out. I am trying not to make a big deal out of it but can't help worrying about her growth and development. I try to offer non meat protein alternatives like beans, humous, cheese, etc.

luckily DD loves veg and pulses etc so I could quite easily make her vegetarian options that she would love. BUT DF is a massive meat fan an hates things like beans, chickpeas, etc. So it would mean me cooking two separate meals and with a newborn due any day this is not an option really.

So any tips on what I should do? Keep offering and don't make a fuss if DD doesn't eat it? Should I be worried?

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 11:27:49 am »
Hugs!!!  DS is now having a meatless phase, too!!  This is unheard of!  I tried and tried but I wonder if he really just doesn't need as much meat right this phase.  I managed to get him to eat half an egg twice a week.  He never had eaten eggs before.  He always spat it.

If she would eat dairy, eggs, cheese, that would be ok I think.  Eggs actually have all the amino acids that we need.  Perhaps ham twice a week.  Fx for us both that this phase passes quickly!!  Xx

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
Re: 3.5 yo issues with meat (still)
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 11:49:01 am »
To be honest I'd try to strike a balance between some meals being more what C likes and some what DF likes. He might have to suck up a few pulses for a while, just as you're expecting C to give things a go! If not he's big enough to fix himself a sandwich later! ;)

I'd probably keep offering but as Koe says balance it out by offering her ham a couple of times a week and then on as many days other protein options, eg at lunch or does she have that at nursery. I agree you can't be making two separate meals so I'd encourage her to try and look at how her protein balances out over the course of a week.

*Nicola*

Offline Bex09

• Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 12:00:53 pm »
C doesn't like eggs at all Koe. ::) We have tried all different ways and she is really good at trying new things, but she just hates eggs. I can get away with hiding a bit in meals like fried rice ect, so could do that though. Hope the phase passes quickly for both of us Koe. I just worry that because C has never been a fan of meat it will never get any better yk?

That made me laugh Nicola because you are so right. DF is rubbish at trying new foods and just decides he doesn't like something and that is it. Where as C is fab at trying stuff and generally not fussy at all... who is the child here hey?! I guess he can pick out the stuff he doesn't like just as he expects C to do.

I have spoken to C about the importance of protein from meat and what it does for our bodies and she is really into that. She asks what each thing on her plate will do for her body etc. So yes maybe balancing tht out over the week would work a bit. Right off to google protein rich veggie meals. Thanks ladies.

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 12:24:38 pm »
It is really tricky! Some people have such strong preferences in foods! I am lucky that DH would anything, like me, well almost.  DS is the opposite! This Month of festivities plus his birthday has turned to a little addict of sweets/ chocolate! 

I have met adults who say that they really never like meat.  Would she eat baked beans, legumes, tofu? If she eats cheese, dairy, it is probably fine. French toasts? DS only started eating eggs this past month or two. Keep trying. Add a fresh raw yolk into creamy pasta. Or ham omelette.

DS will not eat veg now! That is a separate thread altogether! ::)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 23:50:15 pm »
DS doesn't eat a lot of meat, usually, either but I have found he can polish off almost an entire lamb shank on his own  :o I think sometimes it is pot luck what you try them with and what they suddenly decide they like. We rarely eat lamb shank but DP makes those boil in the bag in sauce sort now and again.
Another shocker - fried sprats, yeah he eats the head, tail, eye ball, the lot, and loves every bite. In fact it was his love of sprats (and some home made fish fingers) that eventually got him to try a 'real' fish, which he will do now.  Again it's pot luck what they chose to love.

Also, if you make a stew or curry it's easy to throw a can of something in, beans into stew are great (DF can pick them out if he wants) and lentils into curry.

And there are some protein rich cakes on the allergies recipe thread if you haven't seen it. Made with white beans and lots of eggs (no flour, no sugar, just some honey I think), they don't taste like beans or eggs, they taste yummy. I know long term you don't want to teach her to eat lots of cake, but if you are concerned about protein intake then perhaps cake can help?

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 17:22:52 pm »
Yeah I agree.  My son who has eaten most of a pack of dried apple over the past few days (no, I don't get it) suddenly said to me today "I don't like dried apple".

The only way to be sure she won't eat meat is to stop serving it.  I remember hating bolognese when I was 4.  The only reason I remember was because it was the last meal I had before I was on nil by mouth for eye surgery when I was 4 and my mum was trying to talk me into eating it.  Now I like it. 

Have you tried asking her what she doesn't like about it?  With some kids it's texture.  Have you tried stewing it till it's really soft in a slow cooker?
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/