Author Topic: 15 months old and an exceptionally fussy eater  (Read 1621 times)

Offline confusedmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
15 months old and an exceptionally fussy eater
« on: December 10, 2013, 20:28:14 pm »
Hi there DD is almost 15 months old and apart from sweet stuff I am struggling to get her to eat. The only thing she will eat is spaghetti bolognese. I make this with hidden veg but  I can't keep feeding her this. Even finger food like chicken nuggets she's started refusing. She will not touch any veg and if she accidentally does put some veg in her mouth she will spit it out.

I am giving vitamin supplements but I'm really stuck as to how to get her to try anything. I get so dishearten cooking then she won't touch it. She no longer has bottles so when she hasn't eaten enough I can't give her a bottle at night. I think there have been some nights with hours of crying may have been hunger (I could be wrong but nothing soothes her). I've resorted to giving rusk or weetabix before bed to help see her through but I don't want to have to do this forever. DS was such an easy eater I'm completely stumped. HV said to offer and then take away if not eaten and not to offer anything else but most things I know she won't touch so I feel like its pointless even putting it down IYSWIM. She will not sleep at night if hungry.

Does anyone have any advice? I just don't know what else to do 😩

Offline Vinimamae

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 15 months old and an exceptionally fussy eater
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 21:44:22 pm »
I'm in the same boat.  My 15 month old won't eat and it's driving me crazy!  He seems to do better with others feeding him, so maybe he just likes to torture me, but I am super worried he'll start losing weight.  Looking forward to others' answers out there. 

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 21:53:28 pm »
HV said to offer and then take away if not eaten and not to offer anything else but most things I know she won't touch so I feel like its pointless even putting it down IYSWIM.
But if you don't offer it to her, it won't become familiar and she won't (one day) decide to just lick it and then maybe put a morsel in her mouth. Remember it can take AT LEAST twenty exposures to a food (often more like 50) before it becomes 'familiar', so yes, you do have to keep putting things on her plate even if you know she won't eat them. Otherwise you're only giving her things you  know she WILL eat and that perpetuates the cycle.

Do you eat with her? Do you eat meals as a family? I would just serve healthy, well-balanced meals, as a family as often as possible (at least with her not eating alone so eating with you or her brother), and leave it at that. Don't comment on or cajole, just put the plate in front of her and let her eat or not eat. At this age I think it's fine to give a little supper of banana or porridge or something right before bed if they've not eaten well all day. She's too young to think of holding out for this.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 17:24:55 pm »
My son is 3.5 but when he was younger (and still sometimes now) he will say "I don't like that" without trying.  I then point out something on his plate or in the mix I know he likes.  For example "Have you seen there's mushrooms in this?" or "Did you try the cheese on top?" and then he starts and before you know it, he's eaten most of it.

I certainly second eating together.  We can't do it in the evening but we do at breakfast and lunch.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/