Author Topic: Skin reacting to soy?  (Read 1900 times)

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« on: December 10, 2013, 21:24:59 pm »
We had a stir-fry for dinner, with a dash of extra soy sauce on LO1's noodles at his request.  I noticed about five minutes after he started eating that the skin round his mouth was all red and looking a bit like it had hives.  It didn't bother him in the least and his tongue and mouth looked fine.  As quick as I could I removed the dinner and gave him something else to eat. 

But... anyone ever seen that sort of skin irritation in response to soya?  I'm thinking it was the soy sauce.  What should I do?  Be watchful?  Get him tested? 
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline gogomama

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 21:38:11 pm »
I am not an expert by any means but my face gets like that when I put any kind of soy on it..for example Aveeno lotion and I will get huge rashes where it touched, but I can eat it just fine (aside from soy milk). .I do get rashes around my lips when I eat foods I am allergic to also....I think its good that you are able to narrow it down to something, because sometimes that is the hardest part. For the rash, I would put some cortisone cream on it and have your son take an anti-histimine..does he have any other types of allergies? Is this the first time he has had soy sauce?  It might be worth getting him tested but I would definitely keep a watch out for anything with soy to see if he has the same reaction..a lot of times the tests can be fickle. Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 21:45:33 pm by gogomama »

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Skin reacting to soy?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 21:26:11 pm »
HI, it does sound like a reaction. Maybe a contact one? I have heard of this with acidic things like tomatoes, strawberries, even pineapple.

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 21:58:43 pm »
I think it is possible.  Are you able to narrow it down to what he is reacting to? 

The few times I fed bacon and scrambled egg to DS when he was 1-2,  even with one tiny bite, he would get a rash around his mouth.  I think it was the salt content but not sure.  He eats bacon now fine and eats hard boiled egg ok, too. 

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 22:04:21 pm »
Koe, I think it was the soy sauce. BB, yes, I think he gets it from strawberries too. No signs of his tummy being off, I'm glad to say. So if it's a contact reaction, that means it's nothing to worry about, is that right?
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Skin reacting to soy?
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 07:04:15 am »
Well I wouldn't say that! Have you tried putting a bit on his skin else where and see if he reacts? Inside if arm maybe. Has he had soy before?