Author Topic: symtoms returning after 3 weeks on Nutramigen  (Read 8203 times)

Offline kmalbin

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
symtoms returning after 3 weeks on Nutramigen
« on: December 14, 2013, 20:45:03 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've been on this site for a while now and had some fantastic advice so far! My main problem was sleep issues. 

About 8/9 weeks ago my DS (9mnths) started having really bad diarrhoea, to the point it was yellow water and his bottom was so sore, he had this for 6 weeks and the doctor finally agreed to see him after fobbing me off with "its a virus" many times.  I told him I thought it was lactose intolerance as my daughter was diagnosed with it at the same age after numerous hospital trips and blood in her stools etc.  I recognised all the symptoms with my DS but my doctor wanted to try antibiotics "just incase".  Anyway, this made things worse so I spoke to another doctor for a 2nd opinion and he prescribed Nutramigen lipil. 

Things got better pretty much immediately, apart from the fact that DS hated the taste and I was adding a little bit of milkshake powder to get him to drink even a little bit, but its got much better and he now drinks it with no probs.  But for the last week, the same symptoms are coming back, he doesn't seem himself, like his upset, and last night around 1am he just threw up in his bed.  I don't feel it is a bug, no-one else here is ill, and his stools have done the same, brown to yellow sludge to yellow water (sorry if TMI) and I am wondering if he could still be reacting to this milk.

Does anyone have any experience with these milks?  My daughter was on Neocate but the doctor I spoke to yesterday same Nutramigen is the same, amino acid based?

Any ideas?

TIA x

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: symtoms returning after 3 weeks on Nutramigen
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 20:48:01 pm »
Is he on solids as well? Afaik nutrimigen and neocate are different but tbh not entirely sure how! I am remembering that neocate is more broken down but I could be totally wrong!!
Heidi

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 20:48:50 pm »
It is not the same. There is a nutramigen aa which is amino acid but the lipil is about 90% milk protein broken down. My twin boys went on it and were similar some improvement but really sick now they're on neocate and are a lot better. It costs a lot more though so gp reluctant to prescribe.
LAURA xx

Offline kmalbin

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 20:54:46 pm »
Thank you, that is what I thought, obviously trying to save some cash!  Yes MasynSpencerElliotte he's on solids and LOVES food lol, I've taken all dairy out of his diet so I'm pretty sure its the milk.  The Neocate smells better too don't you think babybarr, lol x

Offline babybarr

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 20:56:19 pm »
They both smell pretty bad!

Neocate easier to mix I find though.
LAURA xx

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 21:03:31 pm »
What was he on before the Nutrimagin? What solids has he had? Did the onset of the stool issue coincide with a new food at all? Gotta love these food allergy babies!
Heidi

Offline kmalbin

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 21:20:55 pm »
yeah i think so too babybarr, have you tasted them lol

He was on SMA until 8 weeks (projectile vomited all the time, changed to Cow & Gate before Nutramigen MasynSpencerElliotte.  It all started when he got hand foot and mouth, well, about a week before the blisters came out, and it just never stopped till the Nutramigen.  He's had pretty much everything he's allowed to have food wise, lots of fruit etc but none of that seems to upset his tummy.

Im just gutted, we had such a hard time with no sleep for months and months, then to finally get somewhere with this new milk, and him STTN to it all starting again :-(

Offline Zora Astor

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 03:49:23 am »
DD2 is has severe MPA (blood in stools, vomiting, bloating). She was put on Nutramigen A+ when first diagnosed and did well on it for a month, but then bloody stools returned. We have now switched to Puramino (new name for Nutramigen AA, Enfamil's version of Neocate, an amino acid based formula). She is only 2 days into it, so too soon to tell if it's working. It costs an arm and a leg ($60/14 oz can here in Canada, which works out to about $500/month for my 4-months-old) and is not covered by insurance! But can't put a price on a happy and healthy baby, right? So FX it works.

Nutramigen lipil contains milk protein, but it is broken down for easy digestion. Puramino (formerly Nutramigen AA) and Neocate do not contain milk protein, they contain amino acids.

Offline babybarr

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 06:40:10 am »
Im just gutted, we had such a hard time with no sleep for months and months, then to finally get somewhere with this new milk, and him STTN to it all starting again :-(
Go back and push for the neocate, I reckon you'll have your baby back within no time.

You in the uk?  If so perhaps speak with a HV and get them to speak to GP - that's what we did.
LAURA xx

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 07:25:44 am »
Another vote for neocate here Hun, or elecare if it is cheaper and you have to pay :(

I'm also wondering if the antibiotics have had an impact on his gut. There will be no harm in giving some probiotics, but they may also really help his digestive system recover.

Be careful with too much fruit. Fruit is acidic, and also has lots of sugar in it. Both can cause trouble if the gut isn't in a good state. Maybe try less fruit, or less fructose (Apple, pear, mango) and citrus fruit. Bananas are quite good. Root veges, chicken and lamb, legumes and green veg.

Has he started having more wheat? - maybe keep an eye on that too, or soy if you have introduced anything with soy in it recently. :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline kmalbin

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 12:10:58 pm »
Hi sorry for late reply. I got neocate prescribed and his nappies are better but he has started wanting a feed at night again, is that normal?

he is having soy, most of the free from range contains soy instead of milk and he doesn't have much wheat really.

im seeing a dietician on 17th so hoping they can help but not holding my breath lol x

Offline babybarr

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 13:30:29 pm »
I don't know as mine were waking anyway. They actually woke less once on the neocate I guess cos their tummies felt better.
LAURA xx

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 23:41:45 pm »
T feed more once on neocate for a while. He actually had small bottles (4oz at 3-4 mths) but neocate is absorbed into the body and there is little waste which is why I think he didn't need so much at a time. Often once they feel better too they start to feed again properly. Could the NF mean he needs more calories during the day? - T really needs things with protein and fat to fill him up iykwim. Fruit and veg isn't enough. I have everything free breads with pate, chickpeas/falafel, homemade banana muffins, bananas, lean lamb and chicken or 100% chicken sausages, quinoa, coconut cream smoothies etc. if doesn't eat well during the day he wakes early for food still at 15 mths
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 23:45:07 pm by ZacsMumme »
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.