Author Topic: DD doesn't like veggies or protein. Also gassy at night  (Read 4251 times)

Offline AMJ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
DD doesn't like veggies or protein. Also gassy at night
« on: December 18, 2013, 13:22:17 pm »
Hi to all!

My DD is over 8 months and doesn't like veggies. For some reason she stopped liking sweet potato, which was her very first food and she just loved it at first. She eats some fruit and loves her Hipp Organic Oatmeal but that's it. From protein we only tried chicken so far and she doesn't like it either. But If I add veggies and chicken to her oatmeal she will eat it no problem. Should I be concerned? I know I can keep adding veggies and protein to her oatmeal and that way get the nutrients in her but I really wanted her to taste different foods and be able to eat them separately, without me sneaking them in. Am I asking for too much?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 20:55:46 pm by AMJ »

Offline goldmom

• Showing Appreciation 23
Re: DD doesn't like veggies or protein
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 17:09:05 pm »
Is she eating purees or finger food?

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
Re: DD doesn't like veggies or protein
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 17:13:14 pm »
We are moving to more textured food. I cut it into pea size pieces but she refuses purée as well

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
Re: DD doesn't like veggies or protein. Also gassy at night
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 20:57:09 pm »
Also she has multiple NWs and it might be due to gas. She is crying and moving around then almost fall asleep and then keeps waking. I always thought its due to OT but she is letting gas out and squirming. If breast feed her she usually falls asleep right after she is done eating. Otherwise it could take hours to resettle. How do I figure out which foods cause it?
Thanks
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 21:01:20 pm by AMJ »

Offline goldmom

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 21:05:16 pm »
Hm, Can you give some of the foods earlier in the day so that the gas would clear up by night?

DD has been eating lots of different types of textured food for a while (also purees), and not all of them are cut pea size, some are bigger. You can try to see if larger pieces are easier for her to handle to eat. Keep it on her tray while you're feeding her and see if she'll take them herself.

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 05:42:17 am »
sure, yesterday in the morning she ate Hipp Organic peach- banana oatmeal, broccoli (this is the new food she had for 2 days only so far) and carrots with water. For lunch she had pear, banana, squash and water. For dinner she ate Hipp Organic apple oatmeal, carrots and squash, water.

I know that broccoli is gas producing but those gassy nights started way before we introduced broccoli. 

Here is the list of food she tried so far:
- Hipp oatmeal 2 kinds: peach-banana, and apple oatmeal, then sweet potato, green beans, peas, carrots, apple, mango, pear, banana, chicken, broccoli, squash, cucumber, avocado. I think that's it.

I do place the plate on her table for her to grab but she takes it in her hands and plays with it and squishes it but it never makes it to her mouth lol

thanks

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 06:54:09 am »
Do you think she could be intolerant to something? - to much fruit like pears, apple, mango... Can cause gas issues if she can't tolerate too much fructose.
How long has she had wheat? You could try first cutting wheat to see if things settle, then if no difference try reducing the fructose foods (which include sweet potato)
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 07:21:47 am »
Maybe?! She has candida in her stool but dr in Canada say it's normal. She had treatments and probiotics but no difference so maybe it is intolerance. I skipped the oatmeal today but gave her sweet potato and carrots. I'll stick to the same thing for today and see how she is tonight.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 02:54:23 am »
I'm not sure about candida in stools ??? I can ask around for you though.
Certainly it is indicative that the gut isn't in a good state, and if there is mucus present and she is suffering from gastro discomfort I'd say there is something she is intolerant too.

What about giving her some probiotics, they are harmless if nothing is wrong - only populate the gut with the good bacteria, but if the gut is lacking, this will help.

If your going to cut a food group give it a good week or two to see improvement :-*
***Sara***

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 08:40:59 am »
We finished 2 courses of probiotics, the last one was finished a week ago. not sure if it helped at all.
For the past 2 days all she's been eating are sweet potatoes and carrots. This morning she refused them- maybe she had enough of the same thing? Will give her banana for lunch.
Do you think it's ok to reintroduce to her the foods she already ate in 2 days intervals?

Thank you

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 23:06:50 pm »
Antibiotics will kill off the good bacteria in the gut with the bad, so I would get some probiotics for her tummy ;)
If she has already had lots of veges I would just reintroduce them, they are unlikely to be the problem. Maybe just steer clear of dairy and wheat/gluten for a few weeks and see if things improve. If so then you can try to reintroduce one of these too see how she copes?
***Sara***

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 04:20:07 am »
Sorry I think you misunderstood me- she had probiotics not antibiotics.
Ok I'll go ahead with veggies but won't give her oatmeal for a week.
Thank you for your support!

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 04:32:38 am »
I was going to also suggest staying away from oatmeal as it could be the one thing she has so much of and loves is causing her all that gas! With regards to chicken, I make Jennifer chicken soup and I cut up the veggies (carrots and celery) into finger size servings and same with the chicken and when I serve it to her, I just place the veggies and chicken pieces in front of her and i offer her some broth in a cup. Jennifer can't stand being fed ::)

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 09:25:21 am »
lol independent little Jennifer! do you season the soup with anything? How much food do you offer for a meal?

I'm also worried that she is already 8.5 months and she still didn't try that many foods plus now we are backtracking.

The nights got a bit better but she is still gassy during the day and especially when she cries, so I am not sure if the nights are better because she is having ok naps or no oatmeal helps.
But today she is really gassy since the morning and I thing even before she ate( pear and banana for breakfast and sweet potato and banana for lunch). she already had 3 bowel movements and she is still on her second A. And it's somewhat like diarrhea but it could be due to teething.
Thanks ladies
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 10:29:31 am by AMJ »

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 06:45:24 am »
I'm also worried that she is already 8.5 months and she still didn't try that many foods plus now we are backtracking.
At 8 mths old T got so sick on solids we went back to pumpkin and chicken broth. That was it :o our pead said first year food is not important as much as milk, and to just give what I knew he could tolerate. Once he was better 9-9.5 mths he was eating a wide variety of legumes, veges, a few fruit and non gluten grains. Try something like chickpeas or butter beans for finger food. Banana? Cooked carrot sticks?
***Sara***

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 07:16:13 am »
I'll try legumes, she hasn't had them yet. What gluten free grains did you offer to your LO? Did you give grains with gluten after a year?

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2013, 07:48:58 am »
If she is intolerant then gluten may upset her for a while. Really for now I would just avoid for a few weeks and see if it helps everything settle down. If not you know it's not the food YK? Things like rice, quinoa, millet etc.

It does sound like she is teething poor poppet. Does pain meds help at all?
***Sara***

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2013, 10:25:09 am »
I think pain meds help but to a certain extent. She is cranky but not crying like she doesn without meds. This second tooth has been coming out for over a month now  :-[
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 11:52:38 am by AMJ »