Author Topic: Help needed - Elimination Diet!  (Read 3106 times)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Help needed - Elimination Diet!
« on: December 19, 2013, 23:20:10 pm »
So have only ever had to eliminate dairy while bf the older two - DD3 is more of a puzzle! Have done away with dairy, beef, soy and egg (to a degree...still have some things with hidden egg & soy) and have had some excellent weeks free of refluxy spit ups, wanting to be upright for naps etc. Now it is all back plus some horrid ezcema! Thinking of doing a bit more drastic elimination - have been questioning corn of all things as I had not really been eating things with it or corn itself.

So I need ideas on what to eat and how to approach this (as well as a way to keep me on top of it!). I am a fairly picky eater to begin with so that alone makes it tough!
Heidi

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 00:21:22 am »
Not much experience or advice, but my aunt is allergic to corn, so you may be on to something there!

Are you keeping a food diary?  I think that is where I would start over the next couple of weeks because no one wants to start an elimination diet right before the holidays  :P  If you can pinpoint the problem that way then no need to do an all out elimination diet, right?

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
Re: Help needed - Elimination Diet!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 00:47:08 am »
Is gluten a possible culprit? You could try that, although the corn is a good idea too.

I agree with TB, a food diary may be helpful.

Is she on any probiotics? I found they helped tremendously M's intolerances.

Good luck!
Elise

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 04:11:38 am »
Well I keep track in my head...loosely...does that count  :P. Guess I should put my smartphones features to good use and keep notes! Was thinking the same thing about the holidays, not the time to start an ED.

I have been eating gluten all along, but not a lot - S is gluten free so we tend not to eat a lot of it - really only a slice or two of bread every other day or so and some thing with gluten in (pasta in soups etc, but not often that I dont use gf!).

Right now I eat oatmeal, loads of rice & veg with either chicken, pork or turkey and fruit - apples, banana, pear, oranges as thats what is available and some potato. I really have stopped eating most processed stuff as of course whole foods are easier to pinpoint reactions with! Oh and coffee...cannot live without a cup a day!!

Gee when I write it out I already dont eat much variety!! 

Probiotics...good idea! Any brand suggestions? I will have to check the natural food store when I get a chance.
Heidi

Offline ENMS

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 12:55:10 pm »
When M was a baby we used BioGaia to start with and then moved on to stronger probiotics for more 'variety' of strains. Here they have it at drugstores, behind the counter.
Elise

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 13:45:08 pm »
Hmmm....even if our local drugstore has it, I bet they charge an arm and a leg for it, but will check!
Heidi

Offline ENMS

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 13:56:19 pm »
I don't recall how much it was! Also I'm not 100% sure whether there may have been traced of dairy in it, so make sure to check!
Elise

Offline TB9

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 14:51:36 pm »
I know some LOs have trouble with oranges (dds ped doesn't have parents start with citrus until after 9mo) so that's another possibility.

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 15:18:07 pm »
DD2 had issues with citrus so that is a good possibility! Have been eating them all along though. Oh why cant these kids be simple?? With family history of allergies/asthma/ezcema on both sides it is not a big surprise but still!
Heidi

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 23:19:57 pm »
Hmmm...bad day today (vomit, gas, fussy since first thing, mucousy poo). Culprits - I had a wee bit of mayo, salad dressing with soybean oil and a couple of things with cornstarch (but I had something with corn flour & soybean oil the other day with no discernible rxn). The last time I ate eggs she had a day of mucous poos/fussy/gassy etc. Have not had a day that bad since but I still wonder if it is multiple things .

So what I am thinking is after new years day meal at IL's I will do a stricter elim...but how long? Is a week to ten days enough? Two weeks?
Heidi

Offline TB9

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 00:17:36 am »
I would say two weeks  ???

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 01:53:48 am »
Yeah I figured that! Oh well I suppose eating the same things everyday for that long will make my life simpler! No staring into the fridge wondering what to scarf down  :P
Heidi

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 03:15:07 am »
2-3 weeks Hun...long time I know :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 03:46:10 am »
Ugh...but hopefully it will give me a solid idea of what food(s) are the issue before we start solids. Since I have been off of dairy already does it make the most sense to trial it back in first, then soy, beef, egg, corn...kind of reverse of how I took them out?? I think I will just eat turkey, potatoes and veggies at xmas supper tomorrow and save my poor little girl some grief.
Heidi