Author Topic: 2 Week Old Snacker  (Read 820 times)

Offline kdawson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 24, 2013, 20:51:01 pm »
My DD is 2 weeks old and I'm not sure if my expectations are too high or not.  She eweighs close to 8 lbs.  I can't get her to stay awake during a feed but read this is normal so I'm not as worried now.  But she too often wants to feed only an hour or two after her last feed.  I introduced a soother but have mixed feelings about it because she doesn't keep it in her mouth and she is frantic for it when it falls out.  Plus, it just doesn't truly seem to be comforting her.  Her feeds are generally 6 to 10 minutes long and sometimes the 6 minute feeds will last close to 3 hrs so I think I just produce a lot of milk and she is an efficient eater.  My son was the same.  So, should I be feeding her when she roots or stick to the soother when the feeds are so close apart?  Tracy seems pretty adamant about them being able to go 3 hrs hours between feeds  and to not let them become a snacker so I feel I should be changing something but not sure how to extend those feeds without constantly putting the soother in her mouth.  Also, can you feed a baby too much to the point where their stomach hurts?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 2 Week Old Snacker
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 21:24:00 pm »
Current bf knowledge has changed a lot since Tracy wrote her books and while 3 hours is definitely do-able for some bf babies others need more frequent feeds...at that age I fed on demand while trying to just keep the EAS routine by even just a diaper change between the feed and sleep...but as she is a fast feeder (DD1 was like that as well) you have more A time to work with after a feed. Also things like growth spurts can cause her to feed more often to stimulate your supply. I don't think a bf baby can overfeed that easily...does something make you think she has stomach pains?
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 22:01:38 pm »
Frequent feeds will help establish your supply so just go with feeding on cue. The current recs are at least 8-12 BFs in 24hrs. Breastfeeding and EASY in the first few weeks
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline kdawson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 03:18:52 am »
Thanks a lot ladies.  It is good to know to feed on demand; it doesn't feel right the other way.  How long would you say is reasonable to keep feeding on demand? 6 or 8 weeks?

To answer your last question...it is in the evening that she has been fussy and seems to want to feed all the time but yet squirms and moves her body to make me think she is uncomfortable.  She will spit up the milk as well.  My ds did the same thing in the beginning although I wouldn't say he had stomach problems.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 03:27:13 am »
DD3 gets squirmy when she has trapped gas...I use Ovol or Infacol drops short term but for her the key was for me to cut a few things out of my diet.

I still feed on demand, DD3 has really long A times so feeds twice during each (which may sort of be snacking...but it works for us).
Heidi