Author Topic: 6 month old waking after 1.5 hrs  (Read 984 times)

Offline doodlebugCT

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 26, 2013, 04:45:59 am »
Hi everyone,

My little boy has started waking crying only 1.5 hours into the night, before his normal DF.  I am wondering if I'm handling it correctly and was looking for some advice.  Here's our schedule:

7:15 Wake, eat 6 oz
9:30 - 11 Nap
11 Wake, eat about 1-2oz puree and drink 4-5oz
1:20 - 3 Nap
3  Wake, eat about 1-2oz puree and drink 4-5oz
5:15-6 Nap
6  drink 3.5oz
7:45 drink 6oz
8:15 Bed
10:45 DF 6oz

2-3 weeks ago he was teething badly and got both of his bottom front teeth in.  During that time, he was waking more frequently at night crying.  I feel like this is when his schedule went sour as prior to this he had just started STTN without a 3am feeding.

What's happening now is the teeth are in and he doesn't seem to have any others, but he's still waking crying at around 9:45 - which is 1.5 hours after going to sleep and about an hour earlier than his usual DF time.  Since it's so soon after his prior feeding, I have just been trying to soothe him and put him back down.  But he cries even louder when I enter the room and he see me.  Usually, I'll pick him up and put him down when he mostly settles (he never completely settles in my arms) and then I leave the room and he'll stop crying within a couple minutes.   Then I go back in at his normal DF time and feed him.

His increased crying when he sees makes me think that maybe I'm making things worse when I go in, but I don't want to leave him to CIO. 

I don't think this can be hunger so soon after eating.  I thought it might just disappear after a few days.  But it's been 5 or 6 nights now...so maybe I'm not handling it correctly.  Any ideas?   Should I just move the DF up to when he wakes?  Should I try wake to sleep?

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Re: 6 month old waking after 1.5 hrs
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 12:27:35 pm »
Honestly you're routine looks good.  Have you tried offering meds before bed to see if that makes a difference could it still be pain related? Does he Sleep through the rest of the night with no wakings? Does he self settle for bed and naps? Lastly do you think you could try settling him in his crib rather than picking him up?
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline doodlebugCT

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 15:37:43 pm »
I was giving Tylenol before bed a couple weeks ago, but he really doesn't seem to be teething anymore. The bottom two are through, I don't feel any bumps anywhere else and he doesn't have any of his teething symptoms during the day. Based on that,  I didn't want to medicate him every night.

He settles wonderfully when he first goes down. We've been doing BW since he was about a month old and now I can just put him in his zip blanket and down in the crib and leave the room and he'll turn on his side and put himself to sleep within a few minutes.

I could try settling in the crib. But when I first put my hand on him and he started crying even louder, I felt there was no choice but to pick him up because he was really crying hard. 

Of course, last night after I posted he didn't wake early for the first time in several nights :)  I ended up doing DF at 10:15.  We'll see what happens tonight!

Thank you!!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 15:50:48 pm by doodlebugCT »

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Re: 6 month old waking after 1.5 hrs
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 16:56:37 pm »
Oh good, maybe just discomfort of some sort? Any new solids introduced changes in routine, over stimuli types of things. :) Good luck hope it continues.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**