Author Topic: How much solids n milk to give for a 12 mth old?  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Miraclelim

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
How much solids n milk to give for a 12 mth old?
« on: December 24, 2013, 09:37:09 am »
My dd just turn 12 mth n now down to one nap. Not sure how much to feed her? She is still on 3 bottles feed a day. Should I cut it to two to increase solid. She eats more for lunch but only a small amt for dinner.
Wu 0600
0650 milk 200ml
0830 a slice of toast with avocado
1115 lunch a small Chinese bowl of fried rice or veg n milk with cheesy sauce
1400 milk 150-200ml
1630 dinner 120g of pouch food or half a bowl of rice
1800 milk 180ml
1830 asleep

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: How much solids n milk to give for a 12 mth old?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 10:07:52 am »
Milk intake - what you can expect between 6 months to 12months +
It looks like you could drop one bottle right now (usually the mid afternoon bottle is switched for a solids snack with a sippy cup of water) and then think about switching the morning and evening bottles to a cup or straw cup.  It's advised to drop bottles at 12 months but you don't want the milk intake to drop below half a pint so some people prefer to keep 1 or 2 bottles a little longer.

At this age your LO can join in regular family meals so long as salt and sugar are kept to a minimum.  I usually cook a meal with this in mind (no salt or sugar) then lift LO's serving out to cool down and add soy sauce, or salt etc to the adult meal if needed.  Your LO can also eat finger foods now, any vegetables, fruit, meat, beans, eggs, bread...just about anything.  Don't worry about how many teeth she has, LO's can gum on meat, bread sticks etc from 6 months, it's a good idea to leave the pieces large (size of an adult finger or bigger) so that you can place them on her plate or bowl and let her pick them up herself, larger pieces are easier to grip (so half in her hand leaving half out of her hand for her to bite) and easier for her to manipulate in her hands and mouth.  Again I altered my cooking to leave veg/meat in larger chunks to accommodate my LOs needs without cooking a totally separate meal.
Aim to offer all the food groups for a balanced diet and maintain half a pint of milk per day (including dairy solids if she eats cheese or yoghurt these count towards the 'milk' taken in the day too).  As for amount, I always let my LO eat until he's full, sings of fullness are turning away from food or pushing it away.  LOs are generally very good at self regulation of quantity so you can't go too wrong with amount if everything is healthy and balanced.

hope this helps

Offline <Catherine>

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
Re: How much solids n milk to give for a 12 mth old?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 10:14:30 am »
Just going to move you over to Eating for Toddlers as your LO is over 12 months :)
Catherine x