Author Topic: Bottle/Sippy/Mealtime switch-so confused  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Alexian28

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Bottle/Sippy/Mealtime switch-so confused
« on: December 26, 2013, 05:52:55 am »
Hope this belongs here and not in the bottle forums :)  My DD is 11 months adjusted (13 actual) and is moving toward one nap a day so we are changing her routine to fit this transition.  Also we just recently flipped her lunch/dinner solids and bottles as recommended on this forum (and it's worked great, no reflux problems).  As a consequence, I'm confused as to what to do about her bottles.  Her current routine is below:

6:45 w/u and meds
7:30 bottle (7 oz, always drinks this one)
8:30 breakfast (finger food cereal/fruit or 3 oz baby oatmeal made w/ water & 2 oz fruit)
9:30-10:15 nap
11:30 solids lunch (1 oz meat, 3 oz veggie)
1:00 bottle (drinks about ~4oz of this now)
1:30- 4:30 nap
4:30 snack (1/2 yogurt with 2 oz fruit)
6:30 dinner (1 oz meat, 3 oz veggie)
7:00 dessert (other 1/2 yogurt with 1 oz fruit, vitamins)
8:00 bottle (drinks about ~4 oz if we push it)
8:30 asleep

She is MSPI so we are sticking to the Nutramigen Toddler formula until she's 2, do not give her anything made with cow's milk, and give her coconut yogurt.  We tried a cow's milk trial about a month ago with disastrous results.

She's not too great at using the sippies yet.  She prefers the take n' toss hard spout ones and will drink 1/2 to 1 oz of water per meal in it.  So my questions are 1) when do I know to drop the lunch/bt bottle?  2) do I move the lunch/bt bottle to a sippy of formula during those meals, or just stick to water? 3)  If I do move the formula to a sippy during lunch, should I worry if she drink only an ounce?  That won't get her the calcium she needs, or the adequate fluid intake.  Will it eventually go up as she gets better with the sippy?  4)  If I do take away her lunch/bt bottles and switch to sippy of formula, should I also offer a sippy of formula with her afternoon snack?  We've only used water in the sippy; not sure if she will like formula from it more or less than the water.

As she is nap transitioning as well I don't want to put too much on her, but she's dropped her lunch/night bottle intake almost in half for each and I just don't know when to drop them altogether.  Thanks for reading!
3 year old DD with special needs
DS born 12/11/2015

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Bottle/Sippy/Mealtime switch-so confused
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 09:02:44 am »
Have you tried a straw sippy or cup with a straw or even an open cup like a doidy cup? http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=doidy+cup&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=29168800333&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1895988903484373119&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7h1n8ofenc_b

1) when do I know to drop the lunch/bt bottle? 
2) do I move the lunch/bt bottle to a sippy of formula during those meals, or just stick to water?
3)  If I do move the formula to a sippy during lunch, should I worry if she drink only an ounce?  That won't get her the calcium she needs, or the adequate fluid intake.  Will it eventually go up as she gets better with the sippy? 
4)  If I do take away her lunch/bt bottles and switch to sippy of formula, should I also offer a sippy of formula with her afternoon snack?  We've only used water in the sippy; not sure if she will like formula from it more or less than the water.

Here's my take on things ;)

1) I don't think you do *know* when to drop thing for sure, use your Mummy judgement - if she is only taking a few oz though, I would drop it.
2) You could do that or just offer the formula in a sippy with a snack. We moved my DD's morning milk to after breakfast because she wasn't eating breakfast and offered a drink of milk with her evening meal for a while.
3) What about making her oatmeal with her milk instead of water - that would give her a few more oz. If you are worried about fluid intake then maybe you are better offering water with food and milk with a snack inbetween. Her intake should increase, I know my DD only took a few sips of milk when we first switched her milk to a sippy but was soon taking a whole cup full.
4) I would keep the bedtime bottle for now - you may find she takes a bit more if you drop the afternoon bottle, just make sure teeth are cleaned after the bottle!

As you are working towards one nap, that long nap will eventually be earlier so you may find that she is hungry after her nap and so will want to have milk then.

Laura

Offline Alexian28

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 14:48:05 pm »
Laura you always come to my rescue, what would I do without you? :-)

DD is in OT for tongue protrusion so she doesn't do well with straws.  She was getting it for a bit then stopped caring and chewed on them.  She LOVES drinking from open cups I hold for her but that's not feasible at daycare tbh and it's a super slow process.  Soft sippies get chewed on as well.

I'll definitely make her oatmeal with formula; I used to for awhile then she shifted volume a bit when we dropped to 3 bottles so I stopped having leftover formula from AM bottle.  At this point I may be able to bump her to a full 8 oz AM bottle, as she still eats a great breakfast, to make up for it as well. 

Because of this nap shift she's just too tired to drink much of her BT bottle.  That may be more the issue than she just doesn't want it.

So the general plan is to give 8 oz am bottle, oatmeal with formula, lunch solids with water and drop midday bottle, give yogurt/fruit pm snack with a sippy of formula, dinner solids with water, and keep the bt bottle for however much she'll drink.  Does that sound about right?  This might help her shift her afternoon nap earlier as you said, and then the afternoon/evening will improve.

Things are in such a state of flux right now, it's hard to keep track of what she needs.  She effortlessly dropped naps and bottles up till now but this is tricky! 
DS born 12/11/2015

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 18:36:17 pm »
I think your plan sounds fine! Just remember it can take a week or more to settle into a new routine so don't expect results straight away!

Good luck!!

Laura

Offline Alexian28

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 22:03:01 pm »
Thanks Laura!  I'm sure things will be shifting for awhile, who knows how long her nap transition will take, plus learning to take milk from the sippy, plus dropping the bottle... ugh.  Good thing she's an easygoing kid!
DS born 12/11/2015