Author Topic: 12 month old holding food in mouth  (Read 2619 times)

Offline sunflower321

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: December 28, 2013, 21:54:40 pm »
I'm just wondering if this is a common thing or if anyone has any experience with this. My DD is always going through phases of either going off solids or going off milk. But now that she's 12 months and milk is no longer her main source of nutrition I don't know how worried I should be. She was eating and drinking great for a couple of months but now for the past week she is holding her food in her mouth and refusing to swallow. She opens her mouth fine but then stores it up in her cheeks or just in her mouth sometimes for so long it starts to dribble out. I can get her to swallow some by offering her a drink but I think she's after realising what I'm up to and is now refusing the drink. Because of storing the food, feeding her tiny amount is now taking 45 minutes to an hour. She still drinks bottles as hasn't mastered the sippy cup yet. She drinks 3 bottles of about 5-6 oz a day. At the moment she loves her milk and would probably drink more if I gave it to her but that's because she won't eat. I know she needs protein and carbs though. Finger food has never really worked because she just won't bother. I know she's not sick because I had to take her to the doctor for another reason and she doesn't have oral thrush or a sore throat or anything.
Is this a common phase that they go through? Should I increase her milk until she gets out of it?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 12 month old holding food in mouth
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 10:50:23 am »
Hi there.
I personally wouldn't increase her milk as she is already having a fair amount and tbh  you might even consider cutting one of those bottles to increase her appetite for solids (most LOs are down to 2 bottles at this age and it is advised to drop all bottles at 12 months and move to a cup). The holding food in mouth, i have not heard of, but it sounds like lack of appetite for the food, she's just not hungry for it.  I would reduce down to 2 bottles, WU and BT, switch the 3rd bottle to a solids snack with sippy cup of water and at other meals if she holds food in her mouth just say 'looks like you're full' and end the meal. She's not going to starve herself but if you keep cajoling her or tricking her to eat by offering drinks etc there could end up being a power struggle over eating which you don't want.  Babies and toddlers quite often have a small appetite and seem to be able to live of fresh air. portion sizes are much smaller than we tend to think, plus we see how much they *can* eat during a growth spurt and can then have an expectation for them to continue eating that amount daily, long term, plus when they are teething they often cut their food intake and have no adverse effects as they just make up for it when they are ready.  So, really I would back off and just continue to offer healthy solid meals and let her eat whatever amount she wants without worrying.
It would be a good time to increase offering finger food. At this age LOs can be joining in with regular family meals and seeing you and the rest of the family eating the same foods can be a great motivator to join in, humans are social eaters, babies like to have just what mummy and daddy have.
hth

Offline sunflower321

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 19:55:40 pm »
Hi thanks so much for the reply. Maybe you're right and she was going through a growth spurt and her appetite has simply decreased. Yesterday she ate a bit but today very little. No breakfast, a few spoonfuls at lunch and no supper. She drank more milk than usual at bedtime though. She's usually a good sleeper but I'm wondering if she'll be up hungry tonight.
I tried giving her a finger food supper after she refused her normal supper. I just gave her some vegetables and cheese. She ate a bit but very little. Just 3 pieces of broccoli and a piece of cheese. But maybe that's how they start with finger food... It's the reason I stopped the finger food before. She just wasn't eating enough of it.
But anyway thanks for the advice and I'll keep working on it.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 20:17:59 pm »
I would be very surprised at this age if she woke in the night due to hunger.  if she wakes I'd be looking for another reason, teething, illness that has not yet shown its full symptoms or something else.  Many people notice appetite dropping around 1yr, it will pick up again when she needs it to.
3 pieces of broccoli sounds good!  1-2 tablespoon of vegetables is a portion you know and guidance is 2 portions per day (I would say 1 tblsp is a portion at this age as she is the young end of toddlerhood rather than the older end).  It's also more useful to look at food intake across the whole week rather than each day, both in terms of quantity and food groups.
hth

Offline sunflower321

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 21:47:45 pm »
Sorry for the delay. My dd has been very sick with a virus. Unrelated to my original post I think cos she went back to eating normally before the illness. So I think it was just another of her phases of going off food and I'll just have yo learn to relax. And by the way, you were right she didn't wake up hungry even after hardly eating all day. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 00:03:25 am »
Oh, so sorry to hear she was poorly :(
Good to hear her eating picked up though.  It may take a while to pick up again following her illness too.  Hope she is feeling better x