Author Topic: Anyone start with brown rice cereal?  (Read 8416 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: December 30, 2013, 18:50:37 pm »
So my baby just turned 6 months and I'm going to introduce solids! Cereal being the first I was thinking of introducing brown rice cereal first. I'm assuming it's the same concept being to mix it with formula. Also should I be giving him his entire bottle first and then moving him to a high chair to offer him a tablespoon or 2 or cereal ? The dr said the offer the cereal first 2 tbsp and then he might just have that and not the formula? Any suggestions? Thanks

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Anyone start with brown rice cereal?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 18:58:42 pm »
Brown rice cereal sounds a little harsh for small tummies to me  :-\ I know recommendations do differ between countries but there really isn't any good reason to start with cereal at all.  It can be quite difficult to digest and I'm guessing that brown cereal may have a higher fibre content and therefore be more likely to cause tummy upsets?  I don't have specific experience with it though. Often things like pear, apple are much better tolerated (not to mention taste better!) so it could be worth going for one of those instead?

As food is generally for fun before age 1 we normally suggest giving the milk feed first, and then offering solids an hour or so later.  They are really just for fun/taste/experimenting and at his age he certainly shouldn't be filling up on solids at the expense of the higher-calorie milk.

Obviously you have to do what is right for you and your family, just be aware that some of the advice given out by doctors regarding feeding and weaning (speaking as someone who works in a similar field) can be a bit outdated and not in line with the most up to date nutritional advice.  It's worth reading around a bit and then making your own informed choice :)

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 20:07:33 pm »
Thank you for that advice. I didbt even think about the brown rice being to harsh I was just looking into organic baby cereals and came across it. I didbt think that regular rice cereal offered much nutrition.  So you suggest even skipping it all together and giving it later on or not at all?  So maybe giving him peas first ? Just thought the cereal would be a lot more bland compared to veggies and might be easier as his first try at solids. I think you are right about what the pediatrucs tells you. Where do you suggest I research ?  Also I should wait an hour or so after bottle? Seems like it might be hard to leave the house if I'm feeding then a time then feeding then nap. Is it not good to offer right adter bottle because he won't be hungry? Thanks again

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 20:10:24 pm »
Sorry to be brief as typing on phone but why not look onto baby led weaning.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 22:29:24 pm »
I was planning on starting a tbsp of oatmeal baby cereal for a few days then moving to a veggie. Are you supposed to offer bottle first then offer cereal ? Won't he be full adter full bottle?

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 22:36:10 pm »
Food before one is just for fun. It's just about trying tastes and textures and this age. So yes, milk first, solids an hour-ish after

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 23:11:44 pm »
Hi there - I think you may have already decided against the brown rice cereal but just wanted to say, not sure where you are but in the UK guidance is to not give any whole grain foods at all until 12 months.  If it is a small amount, like a few bites of toast, then I didn't buy a whole loaf of white bread, I gave him our brown bread, but any other baked goods, pasta etc were all white. One of the reasons is that it is far too filling so can prevent your baby feeding as much as he needs, for instance he might not have space for his milk needs.

I would look into BLW as pp mentioned. And weather you go traditional puree route or BLW finger food route, I would go with some vegetables first, an hour after his regular, full milk feed.  If you need to go out and about you can pack a little tub of steamed carrot batons in your bag, next time take steamed green beans, next time a bread stick. It really does not need ot be full balanced meals at every offering, tastes and discovering texture and smell are the key things at this point. In fact in the early days my LO didn't like more than 1 or 2 different things at each 'meal' so couldn't have handled a balanced meal with all the food groups present.  you can balance out the food groups across the day and the week rather than in each meal.

weaning is such fun! hth

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 16:55:18 pm »
I gave him his bottle and then made 1 tbsp of cereal and 3 tbsp of formula so it was watery. Then I fed him the rest of his bottle. Which he sucked down. The dr said just to do it once a day when will I up it to twice a day? I can't imagine that he got many calories from it. He's been so hungry the past few days not making it 4 hours in between bottle which he always does. I give him 4 9 oz bottles and the past few nights I gave him an extra 2 oz before bed because he doesn't seem content. I hope the cereal will help I'm not sure what else to do for this hungry boy!

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 17:56:22 pm »
The great thin about baby led weaning is they can just go at their own pace. Are you not interested? Sorry I'll stop mentioning it ;)

Sorry I can't help on purees I've never gone that route.

Offline creations

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 19:03:15 pm »
I'm not sure what else to do for this hungry boy!
I would just feed him - whether you give him the food on a spoon or let him self feed, if he is hungry let him eat.  What's the worry?
I had to give mine solids at 5.5 months despite being TOTALLY determined to follow the rule of waiting until 6 months. DS had NOT read that page of the book and he was HUNGRY!  It made absolutely no difference how much milk I gave him, he'd never been that into milk anyway, he knew full well what he wanted and it was FOOD.
At 6 months your baby is ready, really, ready. Previous generations used to start solids weaning on thin rice at 8 and 12 weeks and gradually introduce one vegetable or food type at a time, that's why many people have the idea that weaning is such a long careful process, but these days we wait until 6 months (or as close to as we can without the child screaming the house down) to begin solids and at this age it is not a slow process, you can move to 2 and even 3 meals per day immediately (or within a couple of days/weeks) and offer everything from all the food groups (very little that 6 months old babies can't have, honey, sugar, salt, whole nuts, whole grains are the primary ones). Your LO is 6 months and raring to go.  A 6 month old is advised to be offered finger food even if you choose the puree route of weaning, and within a matter of just a couple of weeks the puree should be moving to mashed foods then whole foods - and with puree feeding the amount of food should still be led by baby, you feed until he shows lack of interest, refuses to open mouth or pushes the spoon away or looks away, he knows how big his tummy his and when he feels full. Baby really should be joining the family meals within the next couple of months and learning all the family tastes, meals and traditions rather than having their own separate meal or rice.

Oh and by the way - they don't need teeth. Their gums are hard as nails and will gnaw through anything including hunks of meat, in fact giving them something hard to gnaw on is relief for teething gums.

If he's hungry - feed him  :D

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 01:39:10 am »
Thank you for all of that info! I gave him two feedings today of oatmeal cereal that I mixed with formula ( the container saud 1 tbsp cereal and 4/5 tbsp of formula which I thought was so watery) I made his second meal thicker. I plan on waiting about 5 days and then I'll introduce veggies. Should I add in another feed? So two feeds of cereal and one of a veggie? Will I still be offering the same amount of formula ?

Offline creations

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 11:16:54 am »
I don't know what oatmeal cereal is like, possibly soemthing like the baby muesli my DS still likees to eat even though he is almost 3yo.  I didn't follow the pack, but instead used a tiny amount of formula to mix it and let it rest a minute or two then rolled it into balls for him to pick up and self feed.  Maybe the oatmeal you have can do similar?

There ishonestly no need to wait 5 days before introducing vegetables but if you feel happier with that then that's what you should do. Weaning is an amazing development, one I thoroughly enjoyed so keeping the stress level down and the enjoyment level up for both of you is well worth considering.

Always offer the same amount of formula, unless he takes VAST quantities of milk there is no need to reduce it at all (and I still wouldn't at this age, closer to 12 months I would if necessary). He will gradually do this himself in later months by just taking less and you can drop a bottle feed - but that's later.  Equally you do not need to limit solids unless he vastly reduces his milk intake, milk is priority so you wouldn't want it to drop at all or much yet.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 13:38:27 pm »
Another question... I wonder if feeding him twice a day cereal is too much to start with. Will he get constipated or diarrhea? Maybe I should just be starting with once a day? Once I start the veggies and fruit do I do one meal cereal and one meal veggies? Or two cereal one veggies?   

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 13:42:45 pm »
I'm also feeding him his bottle and then I bring him to his highchair to give the cereal. I'm not waiting an hour. I just feel like it's to scheduled that way. Meaning bottle time, nap time, cereal time. Do you think that's ok or is it a big deal to wait an hour after bottle ?

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 14:03:56 pm »
No it's fine if he's happy to take the solids straight after bottle (though you may find as you go along you need to space them out more or he won't really be hungry).  The thing to avoid mainly is having so much solid it affects his milk intake which is why the solids after milk rule is suggested.  The exact timing doesn't matter.

Nor in fact does what you give him at each meal ;). There isn't a hard and fast rule, just go with the flow and what feels right for you both.  Is the oatmeal cereal more like thick porridge or more like baby rice?  Personally I'd move onto more interesting things fairly pronto if it's like baby rice!  We started with one meal which I think was fruit/cereal, then added some veggies at another, and then once we got onto three meals we started introducing some proteins too.  So by 7-8 months DD probably had something like cereal/fruit for breakfast (by cereal I mean weetabix or homemade porridge - there's a great recipe with pears and apricots!), lunch might be a meat/fish with some veggies (puréed to start, then mashed, chopped etc) and a yoghurt, dinner was usually pretty small but maybe some finger foods, cheese, raisins, bread, salad sticks etc. 

There isn't a right or wrong way to do it so how you get there and at what pace is totally up to you and LO :)

Offline creations

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 14:13:18 pm »
Like I said before there is no need at this age to wait. If he isn't interested in 2 or 3 meals give him 1, but if he is interested there is no need to hold him back.  And there are no rules on cereal or veggies or how to mix them.  Mine did prefer each meal to be quite focused on one or two items rather than a plate full of different things but there is no harm at all in offering a variety.

The hour wait between milk and solids helps to
1. let him get a bit hungry for the solids
2. continue his association that milk is a different meal and to be taken in full.
If solids come directly after milk one of two things may (but not always) happen, that he doesn't have room in his tummy for the solids so doesn't eat as much as he might have wanted, making him hungry earlier than otherwise, or that he holds out for the solids knowing it is coming right after the milk so in effect drops his milk too early too rapidly in preference for solids.

Solids adds to milk feeds in that his overall calorie intake will increase with age but rather than increase just milk he gets milk + solids.  He can only do this if there is space in his tummy for the solids.  In the early days it can feel like you spend all day feeding but that passes quite soon as you get into the swing of things and as he become as more proficient eater. I can remember a solids meal taking a good 45 mins in the early days but that fine as it is their activity, they learn so much playing with the food and exploring it qualities.  After a while though he was finished a meal in 10 mins eating far more but more quickly too.

WRT constipation or diarrhoea - depending on your LO there are a huge range of foods which can do either. There's a great thread I found really useful and after reading it I was able to control my LOs bowel movements naturally through food balance. If he became a little too firm I gave a prune or two, if he because a little too loose I gave him some carrots.  It was amazingly simple so long as I didn't let it go too far one way or the other.  I see this post looks quite new to me, the link at the bottom is the thread I read which I found helpful
Constipation and Laxative Foods

posted same time as jessmum

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 17:39:17 pm »
Thank you again for the advice.  I have him bottle and then an hour later he took about a teaspoon of cereal mixed with formula then to bed a little while after. Think I'll stick to the 2 feedings for now. Both before nap times and then just 2 more bottles before bed. I'm hoping soon he will take more than a teaspoon or two but overall he did well with the spoon and seemed to like the oatmeal. :)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 23:36:31 pm »
Thank you! It's oatmeal cereal and he doesn't seem very interested it's been 3 days of it so I'm going to introduce peas tomorrow and then go to the sweet stuff sweet potatoes and fruit. I'm just wondering if I usually plan on taking him out after bottle and befire nap time how do you do that with the solids an hour after bottle ? How long do you have to wait the hour?

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 23:40:58 pm »
There is a period of a few months where it seems like all you do is feed - milk and solids. You can take your solids and a spoon out with you and feed him in a coffee shop or wherever.

Offline creations

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 07:43:11 am »
Oh yeah, the first few weeks or so I felt like ALL we did was eat.
We also took food out and about but for us it was always finger foods.

I think you'll find the hour between never goes away, only that the eating becomes quicker so takes less time up.  I also found his 'best' eating times altered slightly too so he'd have a huge snack, more like lunch, at 11am but if we were at toddler group snack is usually 10.30 so that was when he wanted his 'lunch'.  I just took bean burgers, oaty chews, fruit/veg pancakes or sandwich with us, plus fruit and water.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 12:26:37 pm »
I guess the snacks on the go won't be hard but for now with the cereal an hour date the milk just isn't going to always work. As he gets bigger and eats 3 larger meals will there still be the bottkes an hour befire each meal or will it be more of an after thing or at least maybe cut a bottle back?

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 12:40:04 pm »
Yeh he'll drop bottles gradually. By 12-14 months he'll likely just have two bottles, breakfast and bedtime

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 13:54:36 pm »
I've been offering cereal one hour after the bottle but he still doesn't seem that interested. He's only eating about 2 teaspoons before he gets fidgety in the highchair. I'm going to give him carrots this afternoon. Should he be eating more than 2 teaspoons? He still taking all bottles normally

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 14:08:52 pm »
Volume really doesn't matter. He probably just finds the taste a bit blah. Food at this stage is just for finding out about tastes and textures. Give him some bits of finger foods to hold and play with at the same time, might keep him interested.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 15:14:01 pm »
My dr told me just puréed stuff for now. Should I try entertaining him a different way while in high chair to keep him interested like with a toy or is that a bad idea? It doesn't seem like he's hungry an hour after his bottle.  Should I maybe give him half bottle then solids then the other half of bottle?

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 15:31:20 pm »
No I wouldn't give him a toy. He likely won't eat the finger food but he can hold and lick them. He needs to get all his nourishment from milk so I would stick with milk before solids. You can do solids 1.5hrs later if you like, even 2hrs later, if you think that'd be better. It's really not a science, and not something to worry about if he's not doing anything beyond having a little taste at this point.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2014, 16:17:04 pm »
Thank you for your quick response! At this point he's only awake 1.5 hrs before next nap so too much later than that and I really don't think I can keep his attention in the high chair lol :)

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 16:18:42 pm »
Then I'd just keep doing what you're doing. Keep introducing new tastes and don't worry about  how much (or little) he's eating.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 17:45:22 pm »
So I'm feeding him his bottle and about an hour later solids. But he doesn't seem very hungry or interested in the solids. I can't offer him the solids first and then the bottle to wash it all down?

Offline creations

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 18:01:35 pm »
I really couldn’t do that at this age. Up to 12 months your baby's primary food is milk. He needs the milk more than he needs the solids. The milk provides everything he needs where as the solids do not.  it isn't a race to get onto solid food, the time between 6 months and 12 months is about learning new tastes and textures.  Just keep offering slowly and there will come a time when he chooses to increase the amount he takes. I know babies IRL barely touched a mouthful of solids until more like 10 or 11 months, now at about 15 months old I swear they never stop eating.
If he isn't too interested at this point maybe just offer solids once per day instead of 2 or 3 times. It's no problem. It would be far more worrying to have him eat lots of solids and take little milk.
"food before one is just for fun"
If you feel he needs liquids to help with the solids offer a sippy cup of water at the same time (or even a bottle of water if he isn't taking to the sippy yet. The first month or so I gave mine both as I wanted to ensure he got as much water as he needed without the problem of the cup).

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2014, 11:41:34 am »
So my lo is having some problems with night wakings usually an hour or so after going to bed which he's never done before and he will burp when I I pick him up and seems gassy. Last night he woke an hour after going to bed crying then one hour later then another hour later. The last time I put him on belly and he let out some gas and finally went to bed. I'm wondering if it's the solids. He had one solid meal of oatmeal , veggies and fruit about 4 tbsp total and then his bottle right after and drank about 7.5 oz. I've gotten some other advice about doing bottle first and waiting an hour for food so I'm going to try it although he wasn't very interested the last time I did. Also am I giving too much food? Could either peas, sweet potatoes, oatmeal or pears be making him gassy? I thight maybe he just needed help burping from bottle. Whoever said that feeding your baby solids will help them sleep better was wrong! Lol.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2014, 11:47:39 am »
Also I'm still clueless on how much to feed how often and when to start another solid feeding? I started him jan 2 on solids and have just been doing one meal of puréed veggies fruits and oatmeal cereal. WHEN do you increase to 2-3 feedings and how much. He never shuts his mouth of spits out food so it's hard for me to know when he's done. On average I feed him about 4 tbsp once a day. Thanks again. I have a lot of stage 1 puréed stuff in my freezer. Will he not be eating this when I start stage 2?

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2014, 12:28:31 pm »
I'd feed until he's not interested in having any more, or if it starts impacting on his milk intake. If he's eating well at two meals a day you can add a third. There's really no science to it. If you have lots of Stage 1 in the freezer you can still do stuff with it like spread it on toast as finger food. Remember you don't have to go Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3, you can introduce finger foods at any time too.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 13:06:27 pm »
Could any or too much solids have caused gassiness which would lead to his unusual night wakings though?  On average how much should he eat during solid feeds ? Thanks. I was just sticking to puréed for now

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2014, 13:18:03 pm »
I don't think there's any strict guidance on quantity, I'd let him eat for as long as he is still interested UNLESS it starts impacting on his milk intake, in which case cut back a little bit. Solids can cause gassiness. It could be a particular food that is problematic or more likely a temporary thing while his gut gets used to these new foods. I understand your'e sticking to purees for now but just reassuring you that you will still be able to use those Stage 1 foods later.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2014, 13:59:45 pm »
Thanks for the tip. Be had his bottle at 7 and I just gave him 2 tbsp of fruit 1 tbsp veggie and he would've eaten more. Just don't want to get into the same problem wirh the gassiness I also skipped the cereal. Going to offer him the same this afternoon

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2014, 16:03:22 pm »
Everwhere I read it says 2-4 tbsp of fruits and veggies once or twice a day and 2-4 tbsp cereal nice or twice a day. So that can be 4-8 tbsp per feeding which soneone told me was too much. If he's still tsking his bottle it's probably ok right? Unless the large amount is the culprit for gas and waking during the night. Hmm this is tough lol

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2014, 16:15:37 pm »
Everwhere I read it says 2-4 tbsp of fruits and veggies once or twice a day and 2-4 tbsp cereal nice or twice a day. So that can be 4-8 tbsp per feeding which soneone told me was too much. If he's still tsking his bottle it's probably ok right? .

I suggested this was too much on your thread on bottle feeding because you reported that he wasn't interested in his next milk feed. If a baby is taking good full milk feeds then that amount of solids is ok, but if they are reducing their milk at any feeds then it's too much.

I think it would be 2-4 tbs of fruits and/ or veg not that amount of each, and 4-8 tablespoons of cereal is too much at one feed, 4-8 TEA spoons is a more reasonable amount for just starting.

This is why the BW way is to do milk feeds first, they fill up on milk and then the solids add that bit extra until they gradually take over from milk by the time they are 1. If they are only eating a small amount once or twice a day at 6 months that is exactly what they should be doing!

Have a look at this link - you will see that for the first few weeks it's only 2 teaspoons (tsp) per meal which gradually builds up to 2 tablespoons at about 8 months. Weaning Guidelines from Secrets of the Baby Whisperer

Laura
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 16:44:14 pm by Lolly »

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 13:02:25 pm »
Thanks for the info. I gave him two solid feedings yesterday. The first meal was about 1.5 hrs after bottle so more like breakfast time. I just gave 1 tbsp oatmeal cereal and 1 tbsps of fruit. He never did lose ibterest and he would've eaten more. Then his next bottle and 1.5 hrs later at "lunchtime " I gave him 2 tbsp veggies 1 tbsp fruit. Same thing he would've eaten more. Then I burped him befire bed after bottle which I don't normally do Anymore and he didbt wake gassy!!  Do u think the food amount was ok? I read that the cereal is important for iron. At what point do you offer 3 meals? My pediatrician said by 9 months. So I guess I'll just stick with 2 meals for now. Also when do you start to offer solids before bottle or do you have to ? Can I start offering mashed or Lumpier foods soon? Thanks again

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2014, 14:24:19 pm »
Well that depends if you're following your ped's instructions ;) If you are, at 9 months, if not, whenever you like ;)

You can start to offer mashed or lumpier food now or in a few weeks. Sooner rather than later probably, or you can get 'stuck' on very smooth purees. As soon as you feel like he might be ready.

You never switch to solids first as such, but you will find he drops a bottle eventually and things then become more fluid, so you might be doing earlymorning bottle, then breakfast solids, then mid morning bottle, then lunch, then afternoon solids, then bedtime bottle.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2014, 15:27:55 pm »
Thank you again for all of your help :) i stick with the two meals for now. I made some puréed carrots but left them a bit lumpy going to see how he does

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2014, 15:36:48 pm »
Sooner rather than later probably, or you can get 'stuck' on very smooth purees.
Yes, we got stuck on purees with DS1, and were heading that way with DS2 as well so I gradually made things a little lumpy and all of a sudden he's happy with all textures :)
Catherine x

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2014, 11:19:40 am »
I've been doing 2 solids meal sat breakfast and lunch about 3 tablespoons at each. He's cut back on hi bottles about 5 oz average total but he's still consuming about 30 oz. My baby is big 7 minths and 30 in long and 21 lbs. when can I offer more food or another feed without him dropping more formula ?

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2014, 11:29:05 am »
Nobody can tell you if adding more solids will cause him to drop formula - why not try it and see?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2014, 14:31:50 pm »
What's the min amount of formula he should have though? I know they say that the formula is most important still and I don't want to jeopardize.

Offline creations

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2014, 14:36:44 pm »
Milk intake - what you can expect between 6 months to 12months +
Milk intake varies depending on the LO but I would think you could offer as much solids as he wants without worry. If it dropped significantly then you could reduce the solids a bit if really necessary but otherwise try not to worry. I never measured how much solid food mine had, I just let him eat until he was full.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2014, 14:55:20 pm »
Ok so would I add more food to the 2 meals or would I add in another mealtime like dinner? He's still just having multi grain cereal and puréed fruits and veggies

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2014, 15:26:28 pm »
Sweetie it's really up to you. You can add to his current meals or add a new meal. Whatever you like. Neither way is 'better'.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2014, 16:54:35 pm »
If you're worried about it messing with his sleep, I'd hold off on dinner for now.  :)  But like Anna said, there really isn't a "better" way to do it.