Author Topic: Anyone start with brown rice cereal?  (Read 8418 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Anyone start with brown rice cereal?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 14:13:18 pm »
Like I said before there is no need at this age to wait. If he isn't interested in 2 or 3 meals give him 1, but if he is interested there is no need to hold him back.  And there are no rules on cereal or veggies or how to mix them.  Mine did prefer each meal to be quite focused on one or two items rather than a plate full of different things but there is no harm at all in offering a variety.

The hour wait between milk and solids helps to
1. let him get a bit hungry for the solids
2. continue his association that milk is a different meal and to be taken in full.
If solids come directly after milk one of two things may (but not always) happen, that he doesn't have room in his tummy for the solids so doesn't eat as much as he might have wanted, making him hungry earlier than otherwise, or that he holds out for the solids knowing it is coming right after the milk so in effect drops his milk too early too rapidly in preference for solids.

Solids adds to milk feeds in that his overall calorie intake will increase with age but rather than increase just milk he gets milk + solids.  He can only do this if there is space in his tummy for the solids.  In the early days it can feel like you spend all day feeding but that passes quite soon as you get into the swing of things and as he become as more proficient eater. I can remember a solids meal taking a good 45 mins in the early days but that fine as it is their activity, they learn so much playing with the food and exploring it qualities.  After a while though he was finished a meal in 10 mins eating far more but more quickly too.

WRT constipation or diarrhoea - depending on your LO there are a huge range of foods which can do either. There's a great thread I found really useful and after reading it I was able to control my LOs bowel movements naturally through food balance. If he became a little too firm I gave a prune or two, if he because a little too loose I gave him some carrots.  It was amazingly simple so long as I didn't let it go too far one way or the other.  I see this post looks quite new to me, the link at the bottom is the thread I read which I found helpful
Constipation and Laxative Foods

posted same time as jessmum

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 17:39:17 pm »
Thank you again for the advice.  I have him bottle and then an hour later he took about a teaspoon of cereal mixed with formula then to bed a little while after. Think I'll stick to the 2 feedings for now. Both before nap times and then just 2 more bottles before bed. I'm hoping soon he will take more than a teaspoon or two but overall he did well with the spoon and seemed to like the oatmeal. :)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 23:36:31 pm »
Thank you! It's oatmeal cereal and he doesn't seem very interested it's been 3 days of it so I'm going to introduce peas tomorrow and then go to the sweet stuff sweet potatoes and fruit. I'm just wondering if I usually plan on taking him out after bottle and befire nap time how do you do that with the solids an hour after bottle ? How long do you have to wait the hour?

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 23:40:58 pm »
There is a period of a few months where it seems like all you do is feed - milk and solids. You can take your solids and a spoon out with you and feed him in a coffee shop or wherever.

Offline creations

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 07:43:11 am »
Oh yeah, the first few weeks or so I felt like ALL we did was eat.
We also took food out and about but for us it was always finger foods.

I think you'll find the hour between never goes away, only that the eating becomes quicker so takes less time up.  I also found his 'best' eating times altered slightly too so he'd have a huge snack, more like lunch, at 11am but if we were at toddler group snack is usually 10.30 so that was when he wanted his 'lunch'.  I just took bean burgers, oaty chews, fruit/veg pancakes or sandwich with us, plus fruit and water.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 12:26:37 pm »
I guess the snacks on the go won't be hard but for now with the cereal an hour date the milk just isn't going to always work. As he gets bigger and eats 3 larger meals will there still be the bottkes an hour befire each meal or will it be more of an after thing or at least maybe cut a bottle back?

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 12:40:04 pm »
Yeh he'll drop bottles gradually. By 12-14 months he'll likely just have two bottles, breakfast and bedtime

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 13:54:36 pm »
I've been offering cereal one hour after the bottle but he still doesn't seem that interested. He's only eating about 2 teaspoons before he gets fidgety in the highchair. I'm going to give him carrots this afternoon. Should he be eating more than 2 teaspoons? He still taking all bottles normally

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 14:08:52 pm »
Volume really doesn't matter. He probably just finds the taste a bit blah. Food at this stage is just for finding out about tastes and textures. Give him some bits of finger foods to hold and play with at the same time, might keep him interested.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 15:14:01 pm »
My dr told me just puréed stuff for now. Should I try entertaining him a different way while in high chair to keep him interested like with a toy or is that a bad idea? It doesn't seem like he's hungry an hour after his bottle.  Should I maybe give him half bottle then solids then the other half of bottle?

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 15:31:20 pm »
No I wouldn't give him a toy. He likely won't eat the finger food but he can hold and lick them. He needs to get all his nourishment from milk so I would stick with milk before solids. You can do solids 1.5hrs later if you like, even 2hrs later, if you think that'd be better. It's really not a science, and not something to worry about if he's not doing anything beyond having a little taste at this point.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2014, 16:17:04 pm »
Thank you for your quick response! At this point he's only awake 1.5 hrs before next nap so too much later than that and I really don't think I can keep his attention in the high chair lol :)

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 16:18:42 pm »
Then I'd just keep doing what you're doing. Keep introducing new tastes and don't worry about  how much (or little) he's eating.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 17:45:22 pm »
So I'm feeding him his bottle and about an hour later solids. But he doesn't seem very hungry or interested in the solids. I can't offer him the solids first and then the bottle to wash it all down?

Offline creations

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 18:01:35 pm »
I really couldn’t do that at this age. Up to 12 months your baby's primary food is milk. He needs the milk more than he needs the solids. The milk provides everything he needs where as the solids do not.  it isn't a race to get onto solid food, the time between 6 months and 12 months is about learning new tastes and textures.  Just keep offering slowly and there will come a time when he chooses to increase the amount he takes. I know babies IRL barely touched a mouthful of solids until more like 10 or 11 months, now at about 15 months old I swear they never stop eating.
If he isn't too interested at this point maybe just offer solids once per day instead of 2 or 3 times. It's no problem. It would be far more worrying to have him eat lots of solids and take little milk.
"food before one is just for fun"
If you feel he needs liquids to help with the solids offer a sippy cup of water at the same time (or even a bottle of water if he isn't taking to the sippy yet. The first month or so I gave mine both as I wanted to ensure he got as much water as he needed without the problem of the cup).