Author Topic: Anyone start with brown rice cereal?  (Read 8417 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2014, 11:41:34 am »
So my lo is having some problems with night wakings usually an hour or so after going to bed which he's never done before and he will burp when I I pick him up and seems gassy. Last night he woke an hour after going to bed crying then one hour later then another hour later. The last time I put him on belly and he let out some gas and finally went to bed. I'm wondering if it's the solids. He had one solid meal of oatmeal , veggies and fruit about 4 tbsp total and then his bottle right after and drank about 7.5 oz. I've gotten some other advice about doing bottle first and waiting an hour for food so I'm going to try it although he wasn't very interested the last time I did. Also am I giving too much food? Could either peas, sweet potatoes, oatmeal or pears be making him gassy? I thight maybe he just needed help burping from bottle. Whoever said that feeding your baby solids will help them sleep better was wrong! Lol.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2014, 11:47:39 am »
Also I'm still clueless on how much to feed how often and when to start another solid feeding? I started him jan 2 on solids and have just been doing one meal of puréed veggies fruits and oatmeal cereal. WHEN do you increase to 2-3 feedings and how much. He never shuts his mouth of spits out food so it's hard for me to know when he's done. On average I feed him about 4 tbsp once a day. Thanks again. I have a lot of stage 1 puréed stuff in my freezer. Will he not be eating this when I start stage 2?

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Anyone start with brown rice cereal?
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2014, 12:28:31 pm »
I'd feed until he's not interested in having any more, or if it starts impacting on his milk intake. If he's eating well at two meals a day you can add a third. There's really no science to it. If you have lots of Stage 1 in the freezer you can still do stuff with it like spread it on toast as finger food. Remember you don't have to go Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3, you can introduce finger foods at any time too.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 13:06:27 pm »
Could any or too much solids have caused gassiness which would lead to his unusual night wakings though?  On average how much should he eat during solid feeds ? Thanks. I was just sticking to puréed for now

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2014, 13:18:03 pm »
I don't think there's any strict guidance on quantity, I'd let him eat for as long as he is still interested UNLESS it starts impacting on his milk intake, in which case cut back a little bit. Solids can cause gassiness. It could be a particular food that is problematic or more likely a temporary thing while his gut gets used to these new foods. I understand your'e sticking to purees for now but just reassuring you that you will still be able to use those Stage 1 foods later.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2014, 13:59:45 pm »
Thanks for the tip. Be had his bottle at 7 and I just gave him 2 tbsp of fruit 1 tbsp veggie and he would've eaten more. Just don't want to get into the same problem wirh the gassiness I also skipped the cereal. Going to offer him the same this afternoon

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2014, 16:03:22 pm »
Everwhere I read it says 2-4 tbsp of fruits and veggies once or twice a day and 2-4 tbsp cereal nice or twice a day. So that can be 4-8 tbsp per feeding which soneone told me was too much. If he's still tsking his bottle it's probably ok right? Unless the large amount is the culprit for gas and waking during the night. Hmm this is tough lol

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2014, 16:15:37 pm »
Everwhere I read it says 2-4 tbsp of fruits and veggies once or twice a day and 2-4 tbsp cereal nice or twice a day. So that can be 4-8 tbsp per feeding which soneone told me was too much. If he's still tsking his bottle it's probably ok right? .

I suggested this was too much on your thread on bottle feeding because you reported that he wasn't interested in his next milk feed. If a baby is taking good full milk feeds then that amount of solids is ok, but if they are reducing their milk at any feeds then it's too much.

I think it would be 2-4 tbs of fruits and/ or veg not that amount of each, and 4-8 tablespoons of cereal is too much at one feed, 4-8 TEA spoons is a more reasonable amount for just starting.

This is why the BW way is to do milk feeds first, they fill up on milk and then the solids add that bit extra until they gradually take over from milk by the time they are 1. If they are only eating a small amount once or twice a day at 6 months that is exactly what they should be doing!

Have a look at this link - you will see that for the first few weeks it's only 2 teaspoons (tsp) per meal which gradually builds up to 2 tablespoons at about 8 months. Weaning Guidelines from Secrets of the Baby Whisperer

Laura
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 16:44:14 pm by Lolly »

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 13:02:25 pm »
Thanks for the info. I gave him two solid feedings yesterday. The first meal was about 1.5 hrs after bottle so more like breakfast time. I just gave 1 tbsp oatmeal cereal and 1 tbsps of fruit. He never did lose ibterest and he would've eaten more. Then his next bottle and 1.5 hrs later at "lunchtime " I gave him 2 tbsp veggies 1 tbsp fruit. Same thing he would've eaten more. Then I burped him befire bed after bottle which I don't normally do Anymore and he didbt wake gassy!!  Do u think the food amount was ok? I read that the cereal is important for iron. At what point do you offer 3 meals? My pediatrician said by 9 months. So I guess I'll just stick with 2 meals for now. Also when do you start to offer solids before bottle or do you have to ? Can I start offering mashed or Lumpier foods soon? Thanks again

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2014, 14:24:19 pm »
Well that depends if you're following your ped's instructions ;) If you are, at 9 months, if not, whenever you like ;)

You can start to offer mashed or lumpier food now or in a few weeks. Sooner rather than later probably, or you can get 'stuck' on very smooth purees. As soon as you feel like he might be ready.

You never switch to solids first as such, but you will find he drops a bottle eventually and things then become more fluid, so you might be doing earlymorning bottle, then breakfast solids, then mid morning bottle, then lunch, then afternoon solids, then bedtime bottle.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2014, 15:27:55 pm »
Thank you again for all of your help :) i stick with the two meals for now. I made some puréed carrots but left them a bit lumpy going to see how he does

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2014, 15:36:48 pm »
Sooner rather than later probably, or you can get 'stuck' on very smooth purees.
Yes, we got stuck on purees with DS1, and were heading that way with DS2 as well so I gradually made things a little lumpy and all of a sudden he's happy with all textures :)
Catherine x

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2014, 11:19:40 am »
I've been doing 2 solids meal sat breakfast and lunch about 3 tablespoons at each. He's cut back on hi bottles about 5 oz average total but he's still consuming about 30 oz. My baby is big 7 minths and 30 in long and 21 lbs. when can I offer more food or another feed without him dropping more formula ?

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2014, 11:29:05 am »
Nobody can tell you if adding more solids will cause him to drop formula - why not try it and see?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2014, 14:31:50 pm »
What's the min amount of formula he should have though? I know they say that the formula is most important still and I don't want to jeopardize.