Author Topic: Activities for the younger, spirited toddler?  (Read 3206 times)

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Activities for the younger, spirited toddler?
« on: January 02, 2014, 02:06:25 am »
I'm running low on ideas, and we are in the dead of winter and are going through a cold snap (-20C) so outside time is either non-existent, or really short.

So, DS is 20 months and spirited, not much keeps his attention for long.  He has lots of new toys from Christmas, but it's hard to expect him to simply sit around and play with toys all day.  He loves to colour so we do that, and he got a finger paint set for Christmas that we will probably try this weekend.

What are your go-to inside winter activities for the younger toddler?  I don't really mind if it's messy :)  I saw one today where you give pipe-cleaners and a strainer and have him place the pipe-cleaners through the wholes in the strainer, so that could be fun.

Offline TracyP21

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: Activities for the younger, spirited toddler?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 07:36:10 am »

We have found that placing stickers on a piece of paper / colouring book help for a bit of quiet time and fine motor skills - our DS is 23 months and on the go it seems 23 out of 24 hours.
The pot cupboard is always lots of fun.  Jigsaws are a hit.  Skittles / bowling pins are also something we have tried. 
Music / dancing around the place.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 08:17:03 am »
Does your LO like duplo? Making towers with Blocks? Making marble runs (with you at this age), forts? , some Los like to help bake? Playdoh started to be fun at this age, basic stuff like making Playdoh eggs and putting them in a Playdoh nest etc, dancing to music or tv like wiggles....ummmmmmmm

Threading Colored beads, have a picnic in the lounge in a tent for lunch, get a soft ball and throw into a bin, or bowl over soft toys or anything that resembles tenpins... There are great sites for activities to do with little ones. Are you on Pinterest?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 08:20:46 am »
My LO also spirited only sits still and plays with new toys for a few mins! We build dens out of chairs and sheets, take cushions off the sofa and jump and slide about! Play hide and seek!
Can't wait for better weather x
Zoe

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 08:27:35 am »
My LO also spirited only sits still and plays with new toys for a few mins! We build dens out of chairs and sheets, take cushions off the sofa and jump and slide about! Play hide and seek!
Can't wait for better weather x
Yes I also forgot to say - both my kids struggle with toys - the plastic ones that make noise etc. just don't keep their attention. Go for things that stimulate one sense, and that is open ended play, or smart spirited just figure it out in one sec and then we over it.

Z loved putting all the pegs around the peg basket around that age I think.
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 09:57:41 am »
Have you got steps at home? L enjoyed racing balls down the steps - big one vs little one, soft vs bouncy, etc. he also loved climbing anything and everything.

Threading, cutting with scissors, sticking sticky tape on paper then colouring over it so you get a pattern. L would only paint/draw if he could cut it up when finished ::)

Baking or making playdough could be fun. L loved a bowl of warm soapy water with some cups, spoons, etc? also liked scrubbing any dirty clothes/shoes ;)

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 12:49:52 pm »
I draw different things on coloured paper, like fish, sea horses, boats etc. Then I cut them out and DD puts glue on them and we stick them on another paper to create pictures. I also have some glitter glue and puffy paints to decorate after.
DD also likes transferring uncooked pasta shells from bowl to bowl with a spoon or trying to fit uncooked spaghetti into a tall glass.
We had some balloons left over and I blew up a ton of them, stuck them in a room and we ran around kicking them and bouncing them up. Then the cat got involved and it ended up with a big kaboom and tears... but it was fun before that;)
If you have washable markers you can also try drawing on windows as an alternative to paper.

Offline louis-mummy

• Showing Appreciation 22
  • Louis - the bestest (and now a school) boy!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 22:30:04 pm »
DS2 is 20 months and is enjoying sticklebricks, a lot easier and less frustrating to build with than duplo. And being pulled around in a box or empty washing basket, bath crayons, chasing bubbles (bubble machine makes it a lot easier,!) aquadraw. Generally activities tend to last for a few minutes at most so I like things which can be left around for him to come back again later!
Pinterest does have some great ideas.
Laura

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 00:39:03 am »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  I did browse Pinterest the other day quickly, but I'll be sure to take a closer look!

The stickers is a great idea we haven't tried yet, and it is much less messy that painting or even colouring these days.  He just got a duplo set for Christmas and has always enjoyed mega blocks...it is pretty much the only thing he's consistently played with.  He has a play kitchen which he also likes, so I give him some dry pasta or cheerios and he'll cook up creations in there.

The tent/fort is a good idea also.  We've done that before but not recently, so maybe something to try again.  He likes helping me to cook, so we do bake together on the weekends.

I can't wait until its warmer outside!!!

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 01:10:09 am »
We pile all the cushions on the floor and jump off the couch! Lots of times! Then collapse on the cushions for some stories. Then more jumping! We also get out all our musical instruments and do a 'parade', marching round playing 'music' as loud as we can.

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 01:37:28 am »
I wouldn't have stayed sane with my busy beaver if it were not for water play up at the sink with kitchen accessories and taking long baths with toys.  Also playdough.