Author Topic: Want to get it right this time...  (Read 1086 times)

Offline 1stimer

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Want to get it right this time...
« on: January 03, 2014, 22:40:10 pm »
I BF DD for the first 4 maybe 5 weeks before switching to pumping and feeding. I hated giving up on BF but it just went awful.It worked out fine since she still got breastmilk for several weeks until my milk supply just dried up. I so desperately want to get it right this time and have been reading like crazy, which I think is backfiring bc I feel more list than ever :-\ . How do I keep my supply up? Last time I was Bf and pumping to store at the same timefor when I returned to work but I never seemed to get much. I was exhausted from doing both and felt like I must have been doing something wrong. When she wasn't feeding I was pumping and I thought this was supposed to increase your supply. They put me on meds to help but those made me ssssooooo groggy it was kind of the beginning of the end for Bf. My mom told me it looked like my boobs were too big and she couldn't latch on properly??? I had the worst cracked nipples that would bleed and I don't want to go through that again...anyone who could dumb down BF for me would be GREATLY appreaciated!  ;D

[/url]

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Want to get it right this time...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 00:15:17 am »
Awesome link for new moms- timeline of a breastfed baby!

Check out this thread with a link to great info on the norms of BFing

Pumping is less efficient than a baby so supply issues are less likely if feeding directly.

Have a lactation consultant lined up to help irl in the early days.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Want to get it right this time...
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 04:13:17 am »
Have a lactation consultant lined up to help irl in the early days.
^^^this, for sure

Check with the hospital you're delivering at (if you are going to deliver at a hospital, though a birthing center would have good support as well) to see what sort of lactation consultant support they have -- I delivered all 3 of mine at different hospitals in the US and all of them had a lactation consultant on call during the day who could come in and check latch and positioning in the early days.  Also, there are some good videos out there with latch and positioning tips (this one comes to mind - it's the link under the first point: Sore nipples - preventing them and treating them. ) that I remember watching in the hospital with dd2.  Many hospitals have breastfeeding support groups as well that you can go to and get help -- or you can look for a local LaLeche League group -- they can be really helpful as well.  Sometimes I think even knowing that there is help there is really great!  We can help you troubleshoot from afar, but there's only so much we can do on here without actually seeing you feeding the baby.  :)  We can be good cheerleaders and give lots of hugs though!

This link is helpful as well: Breastfeeding and EASY in the first few weeks -- it's good beginning breastfeeding information.