Author Topic: Help with dream feed and night wakings  (Read 955 times)

Offline Sjm4Sjm

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help with dream feed and night wakings
« on: January 04, 2014, 21:58:43 pm »
Hello everyone,

I have just read Tracy's book and I'm a little confused. My DD is 5months old she was 4weeks early and she could not go to sleep unless someone rocked her. (This is a problem we have created) This wasn't a problem until I wanted to go to a work lunch. My DH and I work in the same department for the same company, so we were both going to be attending the lunch. We don't have any family local so I asked a friend to come and look after her, I then thought omg how on earth is my friend going to get my LO to sleep. That's when a friend suggested Tracy's books.
After reading the book I realised that she wasn't getting enough sleep during the day. She only slept for 30 minutes each nap time, she was also waking once or twice a night for a feed. She was on the e.a.s.y plan during the day apart from night time, where she used to fall asleep drinking from her bottle.
The first thing I changed was to put her on e.a.s.y throughout the whole day. I then started doing pu/pd for naps, bed time and to lengthen her naps. She now can go to sleep on her own and she normally sleeps for 1.5 to 2 hrs morning and afternoon nap and 45minutes for early evening nap.
The problem I'm having is since I have made all these changes my LO about twice a week wakes up at 10.30 for her dream feed, this is 30minutes earlier than I normally feed her. Should I feed her or should I do pu/pd and then feed her at 11??
Also I don't feed her at night now, she has slept through about 7 times in the last 3 weeks since I started (this has been amazing) When she wakes up I shush/pat her back to sleep but recently it's been taking me at least 1 hour to get her back to sleep. Should I be shush/patting her??? I think now when she wakes it's a mantra cry. Should I go into her? Or is this her way of trying to settle?? I have left her to try and settle herself and it took her 30mins. So confused, please help me. I'm really happy with the amount of time she sleeps for and that she can now go to sleep on her own. I just need a little help with this last little bit. Thanks Sarah
Sarah

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: Help with dream feed and night wakings
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 22:23:43 pm »
Hi there and welcome to the BW!

Its up to you how you want to handle that night feed. Personally, if mine was waking up close to the DF time, I would feed her rather than pu/pd... especially if she's then sleeping through until wake up time.

Sounds like you've made wonderful progress... well done!!! :)

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline Sjm4Sjm

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 07:57:27 am »
Thank you, my LO has been brilliant. When she was born we cuddled her all the time and only put her down when she'd fallen asleep on us. So the fact that, for all her sleep times she can now fall asleep on her own is amazing.
I'm just worried about her falling asleep drinking her milk, if I give her her DF while she's awake?
She doesn't always sleep through, it's hit and miss at the moment. Last night she woke at 5am, which I know is sleeping through. But she was not hungry, she was doing her mantra cry. After 15minutes, I went in and put my hand on her chest for 15minutes and she went back to sleep until 7am. Do you think that was the right thing to do? I'm just finding having a LO, one big guessing game, none of my friends have babies yet, so I've got no one to ask advise from.
Sarah

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 22:52:09 pm »
I cuddled my lo to sleep too and loved every bit of it! I wouldn't do it any different... and cherish those moments dearly  ;D

I think as long as your LO doesn't fall asleep with a bottle at every sleep time, it should be ok. Our last BF is right before bedtime and it doesn't affect her ability to self soothe. At that age, my dd would either sleep right through (no DF; approx 6-6) or she wouldn't (could wake up to 2 times at night) :P. She has only recently started consistently sleeping through, so I think your little girl is doing really well! For the 5am wake up, hand on chest to resettle is ok.

I hope you find this forum helpful and stick around ;D

20/06/2012 - my angel baby