Author Topic: Things to do with 6 month old  (Read 3502 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: January 07, 2014, 14:49:00 pm »
I'm looking for some ideas of activities or things to do with my 27 week old baby. We do playtime tummy time in a blanket, we read and listen to music , he sits in his high chair and plays with blocks , I will put him in his bouncer seat but he loses interest quickly if that's even possible for a 6 month old lol. I feel like I'm constantly moving him from high chair to floor to my lap because he starts fussing. Any suggestions ?

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Things to do with 6 month old
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 15:11:06 pm »
Hello,

have you seen these threads?
Activity and toy ideas for 3-6mths
Activity and toy ideas for 6-9mths

lots of activity ideas there.

My DD was the same - didn't want to stay doing the same thing for too long.  Although she was much better once the weather was warmer and was happy spending time outside for much longer without so much stimulation from me.  Just had to watch out she didn't eat too much grass.. ;)

Do you have a baby carrier/sling? Mostly my DD just wanted to see what was going on and was usually quite happy for a while being carried in a carrier while I pottered about the house chatting to her.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 15:13:22 pm by cathn »
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 22:35:20 pm »
Baby Led Weaning - took up hours and hours of our day at 6 months!  Of course not all 6 month old are into eating but many are, and even if they don't eat it food is a fabulous new thing to hold, prod, squish, smear, finger paint with, sniff, lick, gum and explore.  It took up so much of our time I even posted about it as we did almost nothing else all day (few books, songs etc but seemed like he did nothing but eat and sleep), but then I realised that eating for a 6 month old is not like eating for an adult, at 6 months food isn't something you do between activities, it IS the activity.  Great for fine motor development too.
Mum and baby groups we went to a couple of times per week too, both enjoyed those.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 15:14:41 pm »
I'm wondering if I'm giving him too many options lol. If that's possible ?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 18:08:30 pm »
Definitely possible!  I found when they're smaller, you just need to either do something with them or just leave a few toys in front of them. 

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 19:11:57 pm »
Jolly jumper?  Exercauser?

Also, at 6 months I started my DS in baby swimming classes 1 x week which was fun, and there was also a Baby Rhyme Time class at our local library once a week too which was also great.  Sometimes doing things outside of the house is necessary (...at least it was in our world! lol).