Author Topic: 9 month old still waking  (Read 1280 times)

Offline Jusiahsmom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
9 month old still waking
« on: January 07, 2014, 14:47:52 pm »
Hi all my 9 month old son has been on easy for a boot the last 5 months. Some days easier than others. We have a great easy schedule of 3 hour awake/ 2 naps ranging from 1-1.5 hours ; formula fed; eating solids breakfast lunch and dinner with bottles in between and even snacking. He has ah huge appetite and drinks 4 -7 ounce bottles a day and even wakes up in middle of night for a feed. Which I wish he would stop. He eats a lot during the day so he shouldn't be so hungry...
He goes to bed at7-7:30 and wakes anywhere Btwn 2-4 for a full feed. He starts tossing and turning when he's hungry and eventually wakes up.
He sleeps with a paci so a few times during the night I am plugging him back in bc he cries for it. N when he is really hungry he sucks on it like no tomorrow.
My issue is sometimes he rocked to bed he has a livid which is his blankie. But even though he gets rocked to bed he's been ok with sleeping except for the monf.
The last 3 days he's been getting up at 11:30-12 screaming for food. N even after he's fed he doesn't want to be put down. He wants me to rock him  back until he's completely asleep. If I put him down before he's playing in the crib n then screaming from the top of his lungs to be carried. I tried to see if he would fall asleep like he usually does after a feed but he's hysterical. His last bottle is at 7ish so I'm not sure why he's getting up now and most of all not going back to sleep.
I need help. I work full time wake up at 530 am don't get home till 630 pm. I'm exhausted.
Does any one have any ideas about this midnight waking?
Btw if he has formula at midnight he last the rest of the night till about 6am but with constantly plugging in paci.
I don't know...

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Re: 9 month old still waking
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 00:01:48 am »
Hi Hun, looking over your post there may be a few issues of note. One is the pacifier. 
He sleeps with a paci so a few times during the night I am plugging him back in bc he cries for it. N when he is really hungry he sucks on it like no tomorrow.
If you are replugging it because he has woken because it has fallen out than it would be considered a prop. Especially if he wont go back to sleep with out it.  The options are to wean it or teach him how to replug it. Are you wanting to just wean him from it?

You said he's doing 3 hrs of A time. Could you post your routine in EAS format? It's easier to see how things are working that way.

At this age, rocking to sleep is also a prop. He's getting to the point where he's not expecting to be rocked back to sleep if he wakes at night because he is unable to self settle.  Has he ever gone to sleep by himself iwth out your help?
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Jusiahsmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 00:49:32 am »
Hi thank u for responding. Yes I think I need to teach him to replug it. The pacifier at this point is the least of my worries. This new waking at 11-12 to be rocked back is my huge issue. He usually is rocked but sometimes wakes up while being put to bed and he's ok. Sometimes I have put him down awake n just patted him but the last couple if days when he feels he's going down he gets up. Not sure how to teach him wo all the crying and screaming. I tried lat night for about and hour of gentle withdrawal n he just wouldn't fall asleep. His easy schedule has worked great for the last 5-6 months
E/A 630am
S three hours later at about 930 for 1.5
E 1100 formula n breakfast
A three hours/ lunch
S 2pm for 1 hr-15
E 3pm-330 formula / snack
    530 dinner
Bath 630 .
Bed 7pm and bottle

This has been working whether rocked or not but last few days waking at 11-12am wanting formula and he usually knocks out right back to sleep at nw but now won't

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 22:40:23 pm »
Hi hun, unfortunetely things can just compound on each other. What's your thought about just weaning it? Otherwise I would just put a bunch in the crib with him at night and just hand it to him but don't acutely re plug it for him. Practice during the day as well. But this could causing some of the waking just a thought.

Sounds like you have a rock back to sleep prop. Again, my suggestion is you teach him how to resettle using wiwo if he's an independant sleepor or Gentle Weaning if he's not. Remind me does he go to sleep on his own with out your help? I.e. can you put him down and walk out and he'll put himself to sleep? If not has he ever been able to?

Looking at your EASY it looks as if he's doing a 3hr A before naps but then a 4hr A before bed? So it could ether be OT or UT. How long does it take him to go back to sleep when he wakes? What is he like when he wakes? Is he taking a full feed when he wakes then sleeping through for the rest of the night?

**Siobhan**

Offline Jusiahsmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 01:38:10 am »
Hi,

He is def not an independent sleeper. He gets rocked to sleep most of the time. What is WIWO? Where can I find info on how to implement that to teach him to be an independent sleeper.
In the past he usually was waking drinking a full feed and going right back to sleep immediately with no issues but in the last week he's been waking taking a full feed and only goes back to sleep if I rock him back. So I do believe you are right, rocking all of a sudden has become a huge prop n crutch for him.
I really need to teach to be independent sleeper. Any suggestions. Thanks again!!!

Offline Jusiahsmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 01:41:06 am »
One more question .. Is he too old to do a dream feed at about 1130?

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 17:38:22 pm »
That's up to you but I think Tracy suggested weaning the DF at 7months so honestly if it were my I wouldn't. So I think before you can do anything else you need to work on his independent sleep.

Here are some links to look at. You wont use WIWO because he's never been an independent sleeper. This is suggested to be used only when getting a child back on track after illness etc.  In this case you'll use Gradual Withdrawl.
Walk In/Walk Out vs. The Gradual Withdrawal Method (HOW TO CHOOSE)

The book is a really good place to go back to and read about independentW sleep. This is a corner stone of the Baby whisperer methodology. With out IS, it's very difficult on the child and parent, and it's hard to figure out why they are waking etc. So I would suggest reading that section of the book again.

Sleep Training  - the early days

**Siobhan**

Offline Jusiahsmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 21:16:37 pm »
I will do. Thanks for your help!
Just one more question looking at the easy forum saw many ppl write about having at least a 4 hour A time for 10 months old. My DS is 9 months how much A time should he have ? Right now he has 3

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 22:51:14 pm »
Hi Hun, here is a link to some sample EASY's. I honestly can't remember what my lo was.
Sample EASY Routines from 0 - 13mths+ at that age.

**Siobhan**