Author Topic: 21 month old activity time?  (Read 3905 times)

Offline Amethist

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Trying my best everyday : )
« on: January 10, 2014, 17:22:26 pm »
Hi everyone!
My DD's naps have gotten shorter and shorter. She is now almost 21 months and wakes up between 6:40 and 7:15 am everyday. I usually put her down for her nap at around 12pm.

Not sure if she is under tired or overtired. In your opinion or experience, what is the ideal activity time for her age?

Thank you for sharing in advance.

Offline Joey'sMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 27
Re: 21 month old activity time?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 17:34:51 pm »
Hi, there! My older one's are 8 and 5, so it has been awhile for me, but at 21 months both of them slept from 7 pm to 6 or 7 am, and napped from 12 until 3 every day. I always had "down time" before going to nap/bed for about an hour, with reading or coloring or things that were just very restful and less active.

How long is your DD napping? If she is OT, you will definitely get at least one day where she sleeps much longer for her nap, kind of like a catchup sleep.

Is she irritable with the shorter nap? Waking up unhappy or just plain miserable? Those would be signs she needs more sleep. If she wakes up happy and stays happy until bedtime, I'd say just go with it. HTH!
Mary Pat

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 17:45:39 pm »
If she's had the same routine for a while and naps have shortened I'd try pushing the nap later by 15-30 mins and see if that helps.  Around this age (actually probably a bit before) we had to push the nap to more like 12.30 or DD would refuse it or take an hour to fall asleep.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 17:47:59 pm »
My LO is very nearly 20 months and we have WU 6.30 ish nap 12.30 for 1.5-2 hours and BT 7.30, if he short naps less than 1.20 mins BT is 7.

Had to push naps a bit recently to stop EW and nap refusal. x
Zoe

Offline Amethist

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 18:00:55 pm »
Thank you all for sharing! Her bedtime is never later then 7:15, usually she BF at 7pm and goes down for the night with no problems until 6:40ish sometimes just after 7am. She seems just fine in the morning, with occasional cranky days. She was sleeping close to 3h, but now naps have been varying from, having a very unrestful sleep that involves standing and laying back down while talking for usually an hour, until she just sits on her crib chatting away. Other days she takes a 1 hour nap, others she goes as far as 1:30h naps, and since that has been happening, her afternoons aren't as productive, as she gets tired and upset easily.

I think my issues lays on determining an activity time that will be just enough... it's confusing. My son (now almost 6) use to sleep about 2:30 hours until he was 4.5Y, but clearly they are all different...: /

Offline Mama2Athena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 18:27:49 pm »
My DD is 21 months old and her routine is as follows (most of it is driven by daycare).  She tends to be a EW (5:30 ish) but recently settled on a WU between 6/6:30.  Daycare puts her down at 12:30 and always wakes the kids up at 2:30 regardless of whether they actually fell asleep at 12:30 or not.  Some days she goes straight down at 12:30 and sleeps until 2:15/2:30.  Other days, she's asleep by 12:45/12:50 but is still woken at 2:30.  Her BT routine starts at 7:30 and usually asleep by 8:00.

On weekends, sometimes she does sleep in until 7 am, but then ends up with a shorter nap between 1 hour 20 minutes and 1 hour 30 minutes.  I think the combined later WU and being less active at home is what causes the shorter naps for her.

Offline Amethist

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 17:49:23 pm »
Thank you guys! My DD's day seems pretty similar.
Her naps are getting shorter by the day. She started doing this sort of cry, but not
Really a crying sound, more like a sound that says I'm awake too early and I'm still tired but I can't put myself back to sleep. And that goes on and off.
I'm not sure what to do. I did increase her A time by 15 minutes to see if she was UT, but she is giving me one hour naps, and doesn't get back to sleep. She is a mess at the end of the day.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 22:06:05 pm »
Does she have her canines/molars?

Offline Amethist

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 17:17:57 pm »
Yes, she has all her teeth. I'll stick to what I'm doing, was just trying to get an idea on how much A time other 21 month old children are doing, and not having issues with naps. Se is about 5hours and 15 min. A time... Just not sure if it is too  much or not enough... She is now sleeping just one hour to just over an hour. Def. not enough day sleep for her age.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 17:24:35 pm by Amethist »

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 17:41:08 pm »
I'd try pushing it later if teeth aren't the issue, up to 6h morning A time wouldn't be unusual at this age x

Offline Amethist

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 17:59:09 pm »
Will give it a try, and increase her A time gradually to see if anything changes, however I'm suspecting an issue we had before is happening once again - waking up due to a bowl movement...not fun, but somewhat funny, and there is nothing that I can do to change it...been there done that, and it sort of just runs its course until her timings change. : /

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 18:54:58 pm »
How annoying!

Offline Amethist

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 18:32:53 pm »
Well, very good day today in case anyone out there is looking for some motivation and in a similar situation... no poop interrupting nap today (YAY! : )) so we got a 2.5h nap. Hope we are back to normal...On another note- she woke up at 6:40 today, and went down at 12pm, that making 5.5h A time, so it was either one or the combination of no pooping while napping with 30min. extra A time, as opposed to her usual 5h A time. We had a busier morning also, with her dance class... so that's our story for today...

Happy day here! Hope it stays that way: )
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 18:34:41 pm by Amethist »

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 19:40:45 pm »
Fantastic day and hope it continues for you :-) x
Zoe